The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 24, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1
JJF

Anyone bought a '66 or '73 Chaparral...

...rifle from CDNN in the recent past? I think they have been offering them for at least the past year(?) or so. How's the quality? The prices seem reasonable, at least compared to same model from Cimarron. I am thinking about purchasing the 20 inch rifle in .357 mag. Should handle .38 special just as well, correct?

Thanks!
Old July 26, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

I have no personal experience with them; but, every post I've seen about Chaparrals has had nothing but bad things to say about them.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 27, 2010, 01:45 PM   #3
1Oldman

I purchased one in .45lc and sent it back the next day. The ejector spring would not work, so weak it would not grasp and hold brass. The whole firing assembly was out of line and was not striking the primer. It was off the primer to the right. No argument from CDNN as they honored their word and credited back the money when they received the rifle and inspected it. As one of my friends advised me...there is a reason the price is that low.
Old July 27, 2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Dino.

I've never even heard of a Chapparral.

I went with a Cimarron '92 ElDorado in 357/38.
Beautiful craftsmanship and VERY accurate.