The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 19, 2000, 10:35 AM   #1
Chang

Hi, I'm pretty new to firearms, but I need a shotgun for general purpose hunting a sporting. I'm thinking about the Remington 870 Express, but not sure what is good. Anyone have advice? Thanks!
Old September 19, 2000, 10:43 AM   #2
DorGunR

Chang,
I see that you are a student and therefore cost could be a factor. If cost is a factor try checking out some used shotguns, my favorite gunstore has a very good selection.
The "best value" may be a good used Winchester model 1200, it's a good solid pump shotgun. Whatever you decide on, HAPPY SHOOTING.

------------------
"Lead, follow or get the HELL out of the way."
Old September 19, 2000, 10:52 AM   #3
NJW

The 870 is an extremely reliable and solid pump SG that has been giving reliable service for many years. I think it is the best SG for the $ and for someone starting out. It has become the standard pump SG and you will find plently of parts and accessories for it if you decide to modify it.

NJW in AZ
Old September 19, 2000, 11:48 AM   #4
CD1

Remington 870 Express. Ive used it for years, put many many thousands of rounds through it, used it to hunt deer, ducks, geese, squirrel, dove, shoot skeet with it, used it in the rain, snow, heat, NEVER had a problem with it. It cost me 210 dollars and I'll be passing it on to my son someday. IMHO best shotgun value out there. Period.
Old September 19, 2000, 05:59 PM   #5
Chang

What about for .22's? I'm thinking of getting a Ruger 10/22 as well. Anything better that would be under 300 dollars?

------------------
Old September 19, 2000, 06:20 PM   #6
Dave R

Well, I may offend some sensibilities here, but I have an older Marlin Model 60 that I like better than my newer 10/22. Reasons:

1) Better trigger pull. That may have changed over the years, so check 'em both out.

2) Better balance & feel. The 10/22 feels too short for my long arms. The Model 60 feels just right.

3) Better accuracy. My Model 60 shoots groups half the size of my 10/22. Maybe its, the longer barrel, maybe it just fits me better, who knows?

The 10/22 is easier to disassembel & clean, though.
Old September 19, 2000, 10:38 PM   #7
Coronach

Assuming you want new shotguns: look at the winchester, remington (870) and Mossberg (500- I think) pump guns. Everyone has their own opinions and diehard crusaders from each camp can waste a whole lot of bandwidth blabbering about which is superior and why, but when you get right down to it all 3 are solid and priced right. I'd fiddle with all 3 and go with the one you like the feel of best.

Used: Do NOT turn your nose up at an 870 police trade-in. Cops do their darnedest to destroy equipment, but they have found the 870 nearly impossible to ruin. The only reason the 870s end up on the block some budget monkey somewhere decides to issue all new equipment, since the old stuff *has* to be bad (generally a good guess, but wrong in this case), or some PD got a federal grant and decided they wanted new all-black tactical shotguns. Any 870 you see for sale used is probably a good deal: just be aware the cop trade-ins will have coffee stains on the stocks, dings and dents where Joe Friday dropped it on the pavement and slammed the cruiser door on it, cig butts down the barrel, donut powder in the trigger group, etc etc etc...but it will work fine.

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 19, 2000, 10:42 PM   #8
Coronach

Followup- police trade-in Mossbergs are a bit dicier. I have no experience with these, but the general consensus is that if the Mossy has an appreciable disadvantage in regards to the 870 it is in the durability department. Given the proclivity LEOs to play 'Lets See If I Can Break THIS' with their equipment, I'd shy away from a retired Mossberg cruiser gun...unless I really knew what to look for on one (and I don't).

Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 20, 2000, 05:23 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Any shooter that knows me knows of my preference for the 870. Been shooting them since about 1958. However, there are other good shotguns out there. The Ithacas are excellent, the older Winchesters are still setting records, and those Italian jobs get their praises sung by folks whose opinions I value.

One big reason I like the 870 is the durability. One 870 used in the Prison system
was used for training, firing hundreds to thousands of rounds each and every year from 1981 to at least 98, when I retired. Total new parts were the wood.

And, getting an 870 is oft cost effective. I built one for about $140 in the early 90s, and have less than $250 invested in the one
I use for deer hunting,including the peep sight, extended mag, and rifled tube.I'm no gunsmith, but I can take an 870 and do most of what ever needs to be done w/o strain.

Also, since you're new, I highly recommend getting some lessons from a good instructor. No use starting off with bad habits.
Old September 23, 2000, 12:06 AM   #10
LiquidTension

As far as the .22 option is concerned, I'd go with the 10/22. I own 2 Marlin mod 60s and a good friend has a 10/22. The 10/22 has many more accessories, is easier to clean, and has detatchable mag (hi caps available). The Marlin is more accurate out of the box, is a pain to clean, and has an 18 (maybe 15 now, mine are old) round fixed tubular mag. It's also cheaper. If I had a choice, I'd go with the 10/22 because I want to customize it a little bit. Last I checked, WalMart is selling them for $149. The Marlin goes for $120 with a POS 4x scope on it. Did I miss anything? Prolly so, just ask me again =)
Old September 23, 2000, 07:05 AM   #11
old hawk

remington 870,ithaca m37,rem 11,model 12,winch 97.i dont like mossys with aluminum recievers not to mention some had the problem of the stock nut that was swaged in coming loose after a while.the express mag can shoot 2 3/4 and 3" and is 244$ new at walmart to boot.if you hit the one way rack at the gun shop look for the above models the rem 11 is a semi auto thats a browning design and utterly reliable, the ithaca is also a browning design i believe and can load and shuck emptys from the bottom.the reason the ithaca was called the 37 is thats the year the patent ran out and then ithaca could start making them on the patent i believe........
Old September 23, 2000, 11:30 AM   #12
Shin-Tao

Have a look at the plain HD synthetic 870.
Old September 23, 2000, 05:41 PM   #13
Chang

Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to get the Ruger 10/22 and then a Remington 870 HD.

------------------
Old September 29, 2000, 01:41 PM   #14
jtduncan

See my post on the Mossberg sale at Big 5 Sporting goods. $199 for a Moss 590 with two barrels.

But the Rem 870 Express Combo used can be had for under $300. That's what I bought.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old September 29, 2000, 02:45 PM   #15
Gunslinger

I'll toss my votes in for the Mossberg 500 and the Marlin/Glenfield model 60.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old February 28, 2006, 11:42 PM   #16
gunsdog25

Mossberg

I purchased two mossberg 500s just a week ago from.. http://www.gunsunder300.com
for 199.99, I also purchased a glock 22 for 319.99 , He also list Taurus PT24/7 for 299.99 I thinks its a good deal.
Old February 28, 2006, 11:55 PM   #17
TexiCali Slim

Chang I would reccomend getting a mossberg theyre good priced and good guns, I just got a Winchester because i "Haaaaaad to have 1 b4 they closed" but if not for that reason I would get a mossberg I havent heard any horror storys about them and you'll have plenty of money to play with it or a to buy another gun!
-For what it's worth
Old March 1, 2006, 12:31 AM   #18
SemperKnight

You can get them fairly cheap from CDNN.com too.
Old March 1, 2006, 09:10 AM   #19
rhoffler

870 express

I bought one from wallmart for abouy 225.00 I hunt dove and shoot sporting clays the gun works great
Old March 1, 2006, 12:58 PM   #20
gunslinger1911ACP

Remington 870 Express. Bought mine new at Sports Authority for $194 + tax (including a $25 rebate from Remington). I've used it skeet shooting and dove hunting. Great home defense gun too...especially down here in hurrricane country.