The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 3, 2010, 03:52 PM   #1
infoseek

can you id this flintlock?

hello everyone,

i need help in identifying this flintlock. it appears to be very old. it has in-laid bone with aluminum-like metal accents. the metal has a floral pattern. too fancy to be american. what do you think?

david
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0054.jpg (244.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0055.jpg (246.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0057.jpg (244.8 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by infoseek; November 3, 2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: to add picture
Old November 3, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Can't help with the ID but

Welcome to the dance.

When I was in the Navy, I remember seeing pistols of similar character in little shops mostly in Italy but possibly also in Majorca, Spain. They were of about the same appearance as your pistol. They were manufactured recently to look collectable. Price tag was always very low. I was given to understand that the pistols were made in places like Pakistan. That could be entirely wrong.

But the specimen you show appears to be different enough from the ones that I examined (20 years ago) that yours may be of entirely different origin and much much older vintage.
Old November 3, 2010, 05:06 PM   #3
Jo6pak

While I am certainly no expert, and therefore probably not much help, I think that Doc is on the right track with the Mideastern style. The shape of the barrel and scrollwork seem to be reminiscent of guns from the Indian subcontinent area. I remember seeing pics of rifles from that area with similar design features.
Old November 4, 2010, 08:33 AM   #4
oldwheat

I would say that Doc Hoy is pretty much spot on. Perhaps not of Pakastani provenance but I would guess it is of fairly recent Middle Eastern manufacture for the tourist market.
Old November 4, 2010, 11:23 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'm thinking Northern Africa. Look at the artistic design with its inlay. That's more customary of the Arabs than of Europeans. However, the Arabs can make better locks and it may be sub-Saharan. The Arabs can make better frizzen springs.
Old November 4, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Let me hasten to add

I have not had the opportunity to examine the pistol close up and even if I did, I am not an expert at dating pistols.

This pistol may actually have a very rich heritage and the photos just don't do it justice, even though they are quire good. It is certainly an interesting piece.

The ones that I saw were being sold (by the shop keeper(s) I can remember) with no intention of trying to make anyone believe they were old or valuable. I would not have felt comfortable trying to fire anything I saw in those shops. And my experience is twenty years old.

I have a pistol that my father brought back from WWII in the Asian Theater. (India and China) It is a dead ringer for a small frame Smith and Wesson. Five shot, .41 caliber. The markings and the internal finishing of the parts give it away as a fake. After seventy years, the bluing is very very good, but the pistol itself is falling apart. I think it was never shootable. He traded a carton of cigarettes for it. He said he thought it was made by a one armed Hindu with a machete.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; November 4, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old November 4, 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
arcticap

Even the ones made for tourists in places like Afghanistan are still hand made copies which are often patterned after original designs.
Thanks for sharing such an interesting piece.
Old November 4, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Rifleman1776

I'm with the others, mideastern made for tourist market. It is very crudely made certainly not a presentation item for some sultan. Conversation piece at best.