The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2013, 07:28 AM   #1
TX Hunter

Bore Butter as a Case Lube ?

I was loading some 30 30 rounds Yesterday and was out of case lube. I used some black powder bore butter in its stead and it seemed to work fine. The cases didnt stick. I accidently spilled My Case Lube on my last loading session. The reason I used the Black Powder Lube is because it wont effect the charge. Will this hurt my Dies or Cases ?
Old June 9, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
TX Hunter

Well I looked it up and found out that this is a pretty common practice and wont hurt a thing. The RCBS Lube I was using was hard to squirt out of the bottle I squeezed it too hard and it blew the end off the Bottle and made a mess. It didnt take much Bore Butter and the cases fed through the Dies and I didnt get any hydraulic dimples. Thanks for reading my post.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
tahunua001

must have been a problem with the squirt bottle, the RCBS lube I use isn't that hard though it is a bit finnicky about how much it wants to spray and how fast. I wouldn't use bore butter just because of how long it would take to do each individual case but I don't forsee it gumming up your dies or anything.

I just use bore butter as a preservative/bullet lube in my muzzle stuffers.
Old June 9, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
TX Hunter

I will order some more case lube, but its nice knowing I can use the Bore Butter in a pinch. Problem is I have no where close to buy reloading components and either have to drive an hour or order and wait.
Old June 9, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
MEATSAW

Since you shoot BP you might have Ballistol. It makes a great case lube if needed.
Old June 10, 2013, 06:32 AM   #6
TX Hunter

MeatSaw

I dont have any Ballistol, but the Bore Butter worked great and I didnt have any case sticking. I started to use CLP but was afraid it might effect my charge. I knew the bore butter wouldnt because I have used it as a patch lubricant and never had a problem.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
jaguarxk120

Case resizing requires a lube with a high film strength. A lube like clp or any lubes that are oil like won't work well. Heavy oils like STP work great, or Wax type lubes (BoreButter) work great.

Many of the spray on type lubes have to dry before resizing because the lube is carried in a solvent that evaporates leaving a thin film of lube on the cases.

Imperial Wax works great and just a very small amount is needed a can should last for years.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:33 AM   #8
Rifleman1776

If it comes from Wal-Mart in a plastic container how can you go wrong?
Old June 10, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
TX Hunter

the RCBS Lube worked well but the Pad dried out quickly. I just used a small amount, I think I will get some more for standard re sizing, but I think the Bore Butter might actually be better when I am doing my 30 06 to 8X57 case conversions. The press was so smooth with it when I was making the 30 30 Win. No drag at all when lowering the Ram.
Old June 10, 2013, 09:45 AM   #10
mikld

Basically, you can use anything that makes the case slick/slippery so it doesn't get stuck in the sizing die. I've read about everything from Vaseline to gear grease, soap and shoe dressing. A home made lube of pure lanolin and alcohol in a spray bottle is very popular. The main concern is getting the stuff, some of the heavier, greasier lubes off after sizing.
Old June 10, 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
jaguarxk120

The best lube is a 50-50 mix of castor oil and lanolin. The old time bullet swagers used a verrrry thin film when forming bullets/pointing up.