The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #1
cecILL

1911A1 hammer replacement

Hello, would like to change the spur hammer on a Springfield GI 1911A1 to a combat hammer because of hammer bite. Where should I look? Tried the Springfield website but my peabrain can't seem to find anything.

thanks in advance.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:30 PM   #2
g.willikers

You might have to get a sear and hammer set.
The relationship between sear and hammer is critical.
Check with brownells.com for them.
Or you could just trim down the existing hammer.
Here's how:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZYL5xVyVQQ

Last edited by g.willikers; March 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
1911Tuner

If by "Combat Hammer" you mean a rowel hammer, you'll also need a compatible grip safety.

And...don't count on a given hammer dropping in and working properly, regardless of what it says on the package.
Old March 21, 2013, 01:52 PM   #4
HiBC

Not to be dismal,but the thumb safety is fitted to allow no movement of the sear.Change the hammer and or sear,likely you will be fitting a new thumb safety,too.

I think it is Wilson that makes a semi-drop in beavertail grip safety.You might be able to bob and shape your spur a bit to work with one of those.They do not require radiusing the frame.You may end up doing a bit of blending,and,you will have to fit the grip safety,for function.You will get to retain your original hammer/trigger/sear/thumb safety fitup.

I have found theCylinder and Slide hammer/sear/disconnect sets work out pretty well for me,if you do go with a commander style hammer.If you need a thumb safety,I like the OEM Colt.Midway handles parts,too.

Without meaning any disrespect,how all these parts work together can literally be a matter of life or death.You do not have to be an exceptional person to work on one,but you do have to understand how all the parts work together.The job you are considering may require some special tools,its a good idea to use a proper sear jig and stone if you must stone the sear,etc.

To end up with a safe and functional pistol it may take an investment of time and study,some extra parts for do-overs,at least a Kunhausen manual,etc.

Any local gunsmiths you trust?

Last edited by HiBC; March 21, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old March 21, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW, I replaced the issue-style hammer last Summer with a Caspian Arms rowel Commander-style hammer (only) on my Remington Gov't Model 1911R1. ($30, IIRC)

The CA hammer dropped right in, but the slide wouldn't cycle during hand testing - it was limited by the hammer limiting on the top of the hump of the issue grip safety.

I removed the grip safety, ground the offending hump "off" with a slight radius, cold blued & re-installed everything.

No other mods or adjustments, through about 1500 rounds so far, with an excellent trigger pull (on MY gun). YMMV.

Old March 21, 2013, 02:25 PM   #6
HiBC

Petah,I absolutely agree ,it can go that smooth if you understand the 1911,and if you are a little lucky with tolerances.

That may be the advantage of the local smith,if there is a good one.

Acytually,I'm pretty sure you can send it to Cyl and Slide to have their parts fitted.Check their website.Maybe give them a call and talk over the possibilities.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:51 AM   #7
cecILL

Thanks again for the replys. You guys are great! Nothing is ever easy, is it? Don't shoot this one much, just one I keep in the tool bag for an emergency, but would like to but for the hammer bite. Guess the easiest/wisest thing to do would be to trim the hammer.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

The first thing I always tell those who seem to be having problems with hammer bite is, be sure that's the problem, hammer bite was common with a 1911 but not so much with the 1911A1.

Many times what some believe to be hammer bite is the stock 1911A1 style grip safety digging in the web of their hand during the recoil of the pistol.

The stock hammer can be modified if it is hammer bite, also the stock 1911A1 style grip saftey can be modified if it's causing the problem.

The hammer can be replaced, but if it's not matched with the sear you may end up with a unsafe gun or a horendous trigger pull, you also may get lucky and everything will be fine.

If you replace the hammer be sure sure you do all the safety checks, if you are not sure what those are have a competent pistolsmith do the checks.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 22, 2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Modified 1911A1, no hammer bite, no grip safety bite.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; March 22, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I like that; bobbed spur hammer and the regular grip safety well blended with a subtle upsweep.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:31 AM   #11
dahermit

Quote:
And...don't count on a given hammer dropping in and working properly, regardless of what it says on the package.
Agreed. However sometimes they do drop in without any fitting. Also, if a person is practiced and knowledgeable, he should not have a significant problem in installing a new hammer. However, if the poster had to ask where to find the parts, he likely does not have the requisite skills and/or the confidence to do the change. But, if the gun is not used for a critical purpose (concealed carry, etc.), and there is no pressing time constraint before the gun has to return to service, this would seem like an ideal opportunity to learn about the 1911.
Although it was not a 1911, I dropped in a burr hammer on my Browning H.P. with no ill effects...could not stand the looks of the factory spur hammer.

Last edited by dahermit; March 22, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:30 PM   #12
cecILL

Well, I looked on the Springfield site and also in the Numrich catalog for the hammer. No listing for the Springfield, but the catalog is several years old.
Have done complete disassembly on most of the 1911A1s in collection.

Bob, maybe what I'm describing is in fact the grip safety digging into the web, but no other 1911A1s (series 70s, 80s, USGIs) have this problem. The "bite" certainly is uncomfortable, and leaves a small blood blister (hate to sound like a weeny).

Mostly wanted to keep pistol original or at least have the original parts. Of course it is only a Springfield, no offense intended. The pistol does runs perfectly.

Might go ahead and order one from brownells and see if I get lucky. Can always reinstall the original.

Thanks so much again for the replys.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:39 PM   #13
dahermit

Try here first for lower prices:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSe...ry=1911+hammer
Old March 22, 2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Bob, maybe what I'm describing is in fact the grip safety digging into the web, but no other 1911A1s (series 70s, 80s, USGIs) have this problem. The "bite" certainly is uncomfortable, and leaves a small blood blister (hate to sound like a weeny).
cecILL
I don't think you are a weeny, I had a Colt Commander with a stock rattail grip safety bloody the web of my shooting hand in less then a half box of ammo.
It definitely creats a distraction when trying to shoot.

Jim,
Thanks for the kind words.
The hammer and grip safety was part of my Spartan Package I was doing on the Springfield 1911A1s.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com