The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 10, 2013, 07:53 AM   #26
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
We have the best gun laws (or lack of) in the country . If any of you rednecks want to move up here and enjoy firearms freedom , I'll welcome you with open arms . The Liberals are in office now , here in good old VT. We will soon be fighting for our gun rights too , and we need all the help we can get !
Old January 10, 2013, 10:34 PM   #27
SFsc616171

re: ruger guide gun

Hmmm. Saw picture and specs. Large caliber in a poundage to resist some of the recoil. Muzzle brake to do the rest.

I do not recall that those particular chamberings are of calibers that can be found in a wide variety of places that sell rifle ammunition. IF I am correct, the price of one box of said calibers would be at a high cost, as compared to the cost of, say, .45-70 ammunition.

Yes, North American Guide Guns are more than likely to be lever action rifles, and in the larger chamberings, including .45-70 Government. There is not an animal on the North American continent, that would thumb its nose, when the .45-70 speaks. The only other two lever action chamberings, outside of some of these .45-based newer cartridges, are .444 Marlin and .405 Winchester, which Teddy Roosevelt used.

I would suggest looking on YouTube at a fellow named "Hickok45". he has a few videos where he is shooting .45-70's, and different lever actions, including guide guns.

I think you might have your answer, then.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:40 PM   #28
reynolds357

Doc, what is "SA?" Slide action? Single action?
Old January 13, 2013, 07:38 PM   #29
reynolds357

Thanks, my mind was drawing a blank on that one. Makes sense now.