The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 09:55 AM   #1
RedBowTies88

Ruger MK3 22/45 locked up..

Hey guys, took down my 22/45 the other day for cleaning after its first 1000 rounds (man you should of seen the leading in that barrel!) anyway All went well and then I re-assembeled. I don't recall using excessive force while assembeling but now the bolt will only move able halfway back and I can't get the gun back apart.

If I lift the takedown lever from the backstrap of the grip it moves about 1/4 out then refuses to move any further... also while that lever is slightly exposed like that the bolt free's up...

Is it FUBARed and have to go back to ruger? or is this something I can fix on my own...

Thanks
Old September 18, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Jim123_321

Get a plastc mallet, It just needs a few taps to get it to line up,

Once you break it down a few times it should get better,

Jim
Old September 18, 2012, 12:03 PM   #3
RedBowTies88

I'm not sure how enthusiastic I would be about hitting my new gun with a mallet... but where do you propose I hit it? what isn't lined up correctly? The barrel and the frame?
Old September 18, 2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Jim123_321

Thats why your using a plastic mallet, wont hurt the gun,

I hit the pin from the bottom and it went in just fine, everything has to be just perfect with a new gun its hard to get all to line up,

This will get better after a few break downs, Its just new...
Old September 18, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5
RedBowTies88

So you think the pin that holds the bolt is not fully pushed up into place? Or should I use the mallet to wack it back out and try to reassemble it again?
Old September 18, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
SerenityNetworks

Back it out and re-assemble. You can whack it back out, but should not whack it into place. The reason for the bolt not traveling back all the way is likely due to the misalignment of the lever assembly (I forget the correct term) that goes into the backstrap (at least when my bolt won't go back it is because of misalignment).

Old September 18, 2012, 12:55 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

Thanks. I just got off the phone with ruger and they said its a common problem and they can talk me through it on the phone. alas I'm at work and if I had my gun with me here I would be a class 4 felon in NJ So I'm going to call back for the procedure when i get home and hopefully it works.

The customer service lady was extremely nice and helpful and she felt confident I could resolve it myself at home

I'll let everyone know how it goes and the procedure to correct the problem once i get home
Old September 19, 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
AdrianVall

This makes me afraid of taking apart my 22/45. Its only got about 400 rounds through it so far, but I know I'll have problems when I do it..
Old September 19, 2012, 08:27 PM   #9
berettaprofessor

If I had a nickle for every time a new owner had problems disassembling/reassembling his new Ruger Mark something I'd be a very rich man.

Something so hard to reassemble should never be made so easy to dissasemble.

There are some great YouTube videos if you can't reach customer service when you get home.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:29 PM   #10
berettaprofessor

P.s., there are two things I never, ever do....

1. Point out another pretty woman to my wife.
2. Take apart my Ruger 22/45.

Either is a recipe for disaster.
Old September 19, 2012, 08:30 PM   #11
jimbob86

Just learn how to do it.

Driving was hard until you learned and parcticed a bit.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:44 AM   #12
RedBowTies88

Custom service helped me out and they said its a common problem....

apparently when I inserted the mainspring housing the hammer stud was not in the right position and locked it up.

She had me pull the trigger and slam the muzzle very hard into a phone book 3 times and that effectively free'd it.
Old September 20, 2012, 10:32 AM   #13
Hal

Yes - it's common.
Mine unlocked when I pulled the trigger and whomped it with my palm a few times.

No - putting a Ruger .22/45 Mark II back together isn't all that hard once you get the hang of it.

I cleaned mine 4 to 6 times a week for nearly a year straight many years ago when I shot it a lot.
Just for giggles, I timed myself taking it doan and putting it back together.

I could do it three times in under 60 seconds - clean or dirty..

The really funny thing about it is......

I locked up my Ruger Mark II Target (not the .22/45!)
& that was after the year I spent w/the .22/45.
They both go down and back the same way....go figure....
Old September 27, 2012, 06:14 PM   #14
TX15

The part that I see missing in every discription of this fix is that you keep the mainspring housing "1/4,partly open" before you do the "point down, slam with trigger pulled"