The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Wyoredman

Reloading costs for .223- Is it worth it?

Just trying to figure if reloading for the .223 is worth it.

Using Handloaders.com handloading cost calculator, this is what I found for a standard load using H335 and CCI #400 primers, Winchester FMJ bullets and my own brass. Prices from Powder Valley. http://powdervalleyinc.com/

1lb H335 - $17.90 EDIT: loading 25.3 gr/round
1000 CCI#400 - $24.00
1000 WIN 55gr FMJ - $100.00
once fired cases - $0.0

Material Cost for 1000 rounds - $190.01
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Add shipping and Hazmat fees - $65.00

Total cost for 1000 rounds - $255.01

Now consider the 5 hours it takes to load 1000 rounds with my time being worth $10/hr (low). This adds another $50.00 to the cost.

New total with labor -$305.01

Seems like not much savings when you can buy ammo for around $350 per 1000.

I still love to reload, though!

Last edited by Wyoredman; January 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
mwells72774

if youre gonna load plinking rounds, best to just buy them in bulk. hunting rounds are another story
Old January 6, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
overkill0084

Quote:
Now consider the 5 hours it takes to load 1000 rounds with my time being worth $10/hr (low). This adds another $50.00 to the cost.
Just wondering, do you factor in this $10 per hour cost into your range time when expending the ammo? Or for that matter, when your indulging your other hobbies/pastimes? My reloading time is time I would waste doing things that are even less productive, so I consider it a net gain. I have actually produced something useful rather than vegetating in front of the TV. Seems to me that this is only a cost if one were to take unpaid leave from work strictly to reload.
Opinions vary, of course.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old January 6, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
savagelover

WWIW---I alway tell people that ask me about the cost of reload is how much do you shoot...If it's only a few rounds a year for hunting or what ever,then it isn't worth it...If your into 500 rounds a weeks like I do sometimes,then it's worth it big time....
Old January 6, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
spacecoast

$65 for shipping and hazmat sounds like a lot. Try spreading that over a lot more powder and primers. Also, 10 cents apiece for bullets sounds high too. I can load most of my handgun rounds for 10-12 cents apiece.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:54 PM   #6
hodaka

I agree with overkill and would like to add that the rounds that you can make are better than the "premium" rounds you can buy. That has a significant effect on your calculations.

ps- Also, 9mm and 223 math is a lot different that for a .260 Rem or a .45 Long Colt.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

you can buy 1000 rounds of wolf for $190 plus $20ish shipping.

I dont see the need for handloading that round unless you need a very high level of precision. Or you feel standard bi-metal FMJ's wont kill/destroy what you're shooting at
Old January 6, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8
kraigwy

I don't load my 223s to save cost. I load mine to get the best ammo possible that fits my rifle(s).

Just cant find 80 SMKs with the right powder/brass/primer that fits my rifle over the counter at any price.

Then consider I have three 223s that take different ammo.

If you just want plinking beer can ammo, then bulk ammo is probably the way to go.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 6, 2012, 01:56 PM   #9
Wyoredman

Overkill, that is the point I was trying to make. I enjoy the reloading for the reloading. I do it no matter the cost, because I enjoy doing it. But I did get to wondering if I was actually saving any money.

Come to find out, even with .223 plinking rounds, I am saving a bit of cash, even with labor factored in!

This is the point of this thread. Get people thinking about the actual cost of making their own ammo and then let them decide if it is worth it to them.

I used the .223 as an example because I can buy it for nearly the price I can load it for. My .300 Win Mag loaded with premium hunting bullets shows a cost savings of nearly 60% over factory!
Old January 6, 2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Xfire68

.223 as with 9mm the savings is marginal but........ If your loading premium bullets the cost/savings is much different.

As stated above other calibers tend to show real savings but, most of us have more then one caliber we reload for and it's then worth your time and efforts not to mention the fact that reloading is a skill that I think many of us enjoy learning more and more about each time we sit down at the bench.
Old January 6, 2012, 04:51 PM   #11
solitude127

What about the satisfaction of knowing you're shooting something that you've made (for the most part)? To me that priceless.
I contemplated getting into handloading because the cost of factory vs. handloaded is pretty close but all my friends who do handload said that you have to factor in the sense of accomplishment when you're able to shoot something you've made. Now that I've handloaded 223, I get more satisfaction when shooting.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Servant

Well, I like to use better bullets than the wolf brand ammo. Don't get me wrong, I have a few thousand of those, but I bought the dies for the .223 for better expanding (or should I say expanding period) bullets. Were I to purchase the factory rounds loaded with the bullets I have for the .223, I'd be spending way more than the $189/thousand of wolf. If I want to shoot someone through their car, I suppose I will use the wolf's, or just for plinking, but I haven't found it necessary to shoot someone through a car in quite some time, and hope I don't. Also, when I shoot meat, I don't want the bullet to keep going (hence the expanding bullets), I want it to expel it's energy in what I am shooting at. Federal Vital Shok Ammunition P223Q is going for $229.95 for 200 rounds, so yea, I can save quite a bit of bank.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Wyoredman

Servant:

Use the calculator in the link I supplied and let us know how much you save. With those components do you approach a 50% savings over the factory stuff? It is pretty cool to find out, exactly.
Old January 6, 2012, 05:47 PM   #14
DiscoRacing

I can load my .223 for less than 20 bucks per hundred...

...if I dont consider the price of brass originally.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:15 PM   #15
savagelover

Sorry,but I have to disagree with the comment that you can make better ammo than you can buy.....The ammo now days is far better than it used to be..The guys in the rifle team used to reload all the time...Now they are buying their ammo (Black Hills) They claim it is better than ever and they win the title shoot every year..You figure when your shooting 1000's of rounds,it is very time consuming to reload....
Old January 6, 2012, 06:23 PM   #16
jepp2

My cost for loading 223:

- 55 gr. FMJ $0.078
- primer $0.024
- powder $0.061

without brass, I load accurate plinker rounds for $170 per thousand. I can't buy new ammunition for that.

I consider the time spent reloading to add to the value of the shooting experience. YMMV
Old January 6, 2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Wyoredman

Jepp2, what powder and which bullets? This is $20 bucks cheaper than my load. I'm interested!
Old January 6, 2012, 06:28 PM   #18
serf 'rett

Reloading Cost For 9mm Not Worth It?

"It's not worth it to reload 9mm."

I hear it at the gun club. I hear it at the LGS. I read it here.

All I can conclude is - I don't know where to buy 9mm bullets. Wal-Mart wants to clip me for $22.99 plus tax (total of $25.06) per 100 round WWB. Save a little with Federal or Tula at $11.96 or $10.87 per 50 round box. Do see online sales at $9.99 per 50 box (no tax but must add shipping)

But I haven't found anything close to my current 9mm reloading cost of $0.12/round (using all new mail order components purchased in the last month -124 gr. Berry’s plated, CCI550, Power Pistol). By my best estimate, I almost recouped my initial $500.00 equipment outlay in one year of loading around 3400 rounds of 9mm and 40S&W.

Can someone tell me where they are buying 100 rounds for $12.00?

Seriously! If I can buy 9mm for that price, I’ll stop reloading 9mm…

…and start reloading rifle…
Old January 6, 2012, 06:37 PM   #19
Wyoredman

Another Question:

Will Powder Valley, or any place for that matter, ship powder and primers in the same box, so you only need to pay shipping and hazmat once?
Old January 6, 2012, 06:47 PM   #20
Servant

I'm thinking they will, but don't know first hand...yet! LOL
Old January 6, 2012, 06:47 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

I do not have any experience with online ordering of primers, or powder. Though if i remeber correctly some of the guys on this forum have stated that Powder Valley will ship primers and powder in the same box, that cut the HazMat fee in half.
Old January 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Magnum Mike

I never count my labor. I also never ever add the cost of the equipment because if need be I can sell it and get what I have into it! Do people talking about Wally ammo include their driving, waiting a clerk, and waiting in line time?
How about the gas to go there.
Old January 6, 2012, 07:07 PM   #23
Servant

$292/1000, when comparable store bought would be $920. So, when putting rounds together with good ballistics, there is a HUGE difference. For shooting paper you would not want to load these. When I want to kill paper, I use my .22, although I do practice with my other weapons to keep my skills up, but more so with my pistols than my rifles.
Old January 6, 2012, 08:21 PM   #24
jepp2

Quote:
Jepp2, what powder and which bullets? This is $20 bucks cheaper than my load. I'm interested!
bullets

power I just used IMR 4895 powder with a 25 grain load.

Doing a group buy with powder and primers together makes HAZMAT a non-issue. Just stay under 48 pounds.

Another option on bullets

Montana Gold has a similar price on bullets
Old January 6, 2012, 08:54 PM   #25
HJ857

One hazmat fee will cover both primers and powder, if it's all in the same box. I agree with the statement that arranging a group buy really helps keep the cost down. Also, once you find the powder you like, order it in 8 pounds jugs rather than the 1 pound bottles. There's a substantial savings right there.

If you can order 5K primers, 8-16 pounds of powder with two of your buddies to split the shipping, then you'll see an enormous reduction of your per round cost.