The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 2, 2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

attaching silver coins to the grips on some guns...

I'm looking at attaching some silver coins to a couple things a couple revolver grip frames, that I use for cowboy shooting, & off topic, but I also want to put a 1900 Lafayette dollar inset into my shifter knob on my 38 Nash Lafayette

... I plan on machining a recess in the grips ( & shift knob ) the size of the coin, & using some sort of "glue" to stick the coin into the recess

any ideas on what to use for the "glue" that can stand up to the oils associated with shooting, yet could be cleaned off the coins without "damaging" the silver coins ??? not worried about chemically polishing the back side of the coin, but wouldn't want to use something that could not be removed, in case some year silver goes up to the price of gold today, & I decide I want to part with the guns
Old November 2, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Bailey Boat

silicone???? as long as the wood under the coin was left somewhat rough..
Old November 2, 2011, 11:47 AM   #3
musher

Epoxy. About as chemically inert as you can get and you can take it apart with a heat gun on the coin.
Old November 2, 2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Hawg

Yeah epoxy.
Old November 2, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks guys... just thinking about adding some 1 gram .999 silver coins ( like the size of a dime... maybe smaller )... about the same size as a S&W medallion or so... I've added some medallions S&W & others in the past, but they had studs added to them... didn't know how the coin would stay if it were only "glued" in... as long as I machine my spot tight on the coin, that should help though
Old November 2, 2011, 05:40 PM   #6
Hawg

Most inlays are a press fit but a coin is a little beefier, so I would add the epoxy. I've been thinking about inlaying an 1850's dime in the grips of my 51 Navy.
Old November 2, 2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

one of the coins I've been thinking about is the .999 silver Buffalo nickel replicas...

I also have some little 1 gram .999 prospector struck silver pieces that might look nice
Old November 3, 2011, 11:18 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

The more I think about it, carving out the buffalo and an Indian head would make great inlays for the grips. You'll need a jeweler's saw to do that.

You can make inletting tools from hacksaw blades. Take a 1-1/2" length of blade and grind down an end until you get a 1/32" or smaller chisel point. Scratch the outline of the coin on the grip and then chisel straight down. Use another chisel to remove the material. It'll take about an hour's time per inlay.
Old November 3, 2011, 01:11 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

GARY... while that sounds cool... it scares the crab out of me... I doubt I'd be up for that anytime soon... the right size bit gets me a round hole the size of the coin... as long as they are gram sized coins, they'd look like regular ( maybe slightly larger ) medallions

a bigger sized ( quarter or so ) coin might look nice if it would fit in the grip correctly

but I'd admit a silver dollar sized coin emblem cut out for an inlay would look pretty sweet...

my Montados have plastic grips... I'd bet that would be harder to inlay than a wood grip ???
Old November 3, 2011, 01:29 PM   #10
SHNOMIDO

ive used 10 minute epoxy to stick steel pennies to wood and aluminum. works fine 5-6 years later.
Old November 3, 2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

something like this might look nice... 1/2 oz... probably between a quarter & 1/2 dollar in size...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.5 oz .999 silver coin.jpg (37.9 KB, 211 views)
Old November 3, 2011, 04:06 PM   #12
musher

One tip is that you can mix the epoxy with sanding dust from the base material. Use 100 grit or finer dust & mix it up to peanut butter consistency. This will color the glue like the base material--covering minor fitting sins.
Old November 4, 2011, 07:58 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

Quote:
GARY... while that sounds cool... it scares the crab out of me... I doubt I'd be up for that anytime soon... the right size bit gets me a round hole the size of the coin... as long as they are gram sized coins, they'd look like regular ( maybe slightly larger ) medallions

a bigger sized ( quarter or so ) coin might look nice if it would fit in the grip correctly

but I'd admit a silver dollar sized coin emblem cut out for an inlay would look pretty sweet...

my Montados have plastic grips... I'd bet that would be harder to inlay than a wood grip ???
You want to use a end mill to cut for round inlays. You get any size you want or have one "sharpened" to any size. Evil bay is a great source for used cutters, very cheap.
Old November 5, 2011, 02:11 AM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sharp tools are the key to good inlay work. Practice on scrap hard wood first.

If I had to have plastic grips, I'd cast it with the inlays such that they're set in the plastic. I never tried to inlay into plastic so I can't tell you how that goes. Depending on the plastic, it can be very brittle. Go to Tap Plastics for info on casting plastic.
Old November 5, 2011, 07:19 AM   #15
madcratebuilder

The plastic grips I have cut have cut well using a end mill cutter. I've cut bone with a end mill cutter also. Keep the speed down and a slow feed.

A pair of faux pearl grips I cut.