The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 13, 2007, 09:01 AM   #1
timothy75

Firing from front seat

What would be the better choice for firing a handgun out the driver side window at a person dirrectly outside the vehical, pistol or revolver? I worry about muzzle flash blinding me and would like any additional thoughts on technique as well.
Old January 13, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2
tepin

i am guessing it doesnt matter - just put in some ear protection
Old January 13, 2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Bud Helms

timothy75,

If you have a self defense need to fire out your vehicle window, I can't think what difference it would make.

On the other hand, what is the point here? Why do you ask this question?
Old January 13, 2007, 09:58 AM   #4
U.S.SFC_RET

As far as protection goes You have a valid point supposing the BG is trying to kill you. You would have to determine just that (Grave bodily danger) IMHO. I would proceed to simply shoot through the door of the vehicle if the BG is up against it very close to the door. You can always get another door.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old January 13, 2007, 10:45 AM   #5
PzGren

If you fire the gun out the window while driving, a lot of the sound will be blown away.
Some years ago, a couple of friends and I had a blast trying that at a gun range. We did "drive bys" firing at IPSC targets.

It took a while before we could consistently hit the broad side of the barn but it was fun!!!

Worth a try as much as firing a rifle around cover to the left side, for a right handed person, that is.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:23 AM   #6
timothy75

I had considerd a few things. The barrel cylinder gap of a revolver could lauch powder or lead shavings at your face. The slide of an auto could catch on clothing or your body jamming it when cycled.
Old January 13, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Anon

Ummmmm.... just use the gun you carry and train with. I can't imagine selecting your carry gun based on this narrowly defined scenario.

Also, if you're facing the possibility of being killed by this attacker, a little powder burn is small price to pay.

As for the "autos getting jammed on your clothing", this is not an issue on the first shot. And now, you're talking about firing through clothing, and through a side window?

As for the muzzle flash blinding you. yeah, that's going to happen, along with being disoriented by the noise, which would be worse than anything you have ever experienced before.

This will be even harder if you are left-handed.

What holster do you normally use when you carry?
Old January 16, 2007, 11:33 AM   #8
Captain38

Countering a Car-Jacking Plan

If a bad guy armed with a handgun is approaching your vehicle on the driver's side, your best bet is to just hit the accelerator hard (if you've left yourself room to move forward)! If you're moving away, there's a good chance that he won't hit the vehicle at all, and even if he does, an angled shot probably won't penetrate either sheet metal or window glass.

Try not to get boxed in when you come to a stoplight, whatever, by choosing your lane carefully so that you could drive over a curb if necessary to escape. Leaving enough space ahead of you so that you can see the tires of the vehicle in front of yours will allow you to move away quickly.

Just in case, you should develop some sort of quick two handed firing grip held right up against your chest with the ejection port of a semi-automatic canted away from you so you won't have empty brass flying into your face. Putting a couple of shots in their general direction will distract and discourage most attackers.

When you're driving you should make a habit of wearing sunglasses or clear lensed glasses of some sort to protect your eyes at all times. Powder residue and/or flying glass, if you have to fire through a closed window, can be a real concern.

Forget about damaging your ears if you HAVE TO fire inside a vehicle in a true emergency as studies show that the body has a way of preventing such injury when you're under that kind of stress. Anyway, if you really have to fire, hearing loss will be the least of your problems!
Old January 16, 2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Bob F.

Mas Ayoob says you should be wearing some sort of safety glass anytime you're behind the wheel to protect your eyes from broken glass from any source (crash, bullets, rocks, whatever!). Cant the handgun slightly away (clockwise) and lean your shoulders toward the center of the vehicle, pucker-up and blast away!

I used to run rescue on the interstate and you'd be surprised how many nasty objects (truck brake shoes, e.g.) come through windshields!

Stay safe.
Bob
Old January 16, 2007, 03:46 PM   #10
markj

Quote:
What would be the better choice for firing a handgun out the driver side window at a person dirrectly outside the vehical,
I simply press the accelerator and drive off duh
Old January 16, 2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Ares45

Pot-marking the side windows isn't a problem. If you've got to shoot, who cares what it's with, just shoot. Losing the front glass is a whole nother matter. Remember not to shoot directly over the steering wheel otherwise you won't be able to see to drive off/run over afterwards. Lean in under the rear view and let um' have it. Leaning into the center of the vehicle gives you more cover too.

2nd the whole "just drive off" thing, BTW.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:20 AM   #12
Legrasse

Drive by technique

Anyone, other than the 3rd response, bother to ask why someone would ask a question like this? Does anyone, honestly, think this is a benign question? Sounds to me like Thug-in-training, scouting for answer to be a more efficient drive-by killer. Maybe I've been in California too long.
Old January 25, 2007, 11:07 AM   #13
Anon

Legrasse, nothing in the original post would make a person believe that the pster is thinking of shooting from a MOVING car.
Old January 25, 2007, 11:09 AM   #14
BlueTrain

You should also get in some practice shooting while standing on the running board.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 25, 2007, 04:45 PM   #15
markj

I saw some hunters shoot a deer outta truck once, I wonder what that did to their ears. the deer didnt survive.
Old January 25, 2007, 05:01 PM   #16
Anon

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj
I saw some idiot shoot a deer outta truck once,
Fixed your post for you!
Old January 26, 2007, 02:38 AM   #17
WIN71

Idiot!! I don't think so........

Quote:

Fixed your post for you!

Anon, I can see you've never been on a late moonless night poaching run when you catch ol Bambi froze in the headlights. You got to be pretty good to shoot from inside the truck. Most guys have to get out, rest the rifle on the hood and then shoot. Much easier than spilling your beer, wrestling with a rifle in the dark AND making the shot !!

Seriously, It is a whole lot easier to move and fire your weapon someplace other than the confines of a vehicle. The accelerator is your best friend most of the time.
Old January 26, 2007, 02:17 PM   #18
markj

Quote:
Originally Posted by markj

Fixed your post for you!
Thanks, I really should have edited it.

I heard a farmer tell me he shot a guy thru his truck door, the guy lowered his shotgun into his direction when caught on the farmers land. I will ask him how it effected his ears next time I go hunt his land.
Old January 26, 2007, 02:36 PM   #19
whitedemon89

research

go here for all you need to know about guns and cars
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot1.htm