The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 16, 2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Don H

Richards v. Prieto appealed to 9th Circuit

Was: Federal judge rules against Calif. gun advocates

May 16th, 2011 @ 7:15pm

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - A federal judge ruled Monday there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public _ a decision that dealt a setback to gun-rights advocates who had challenged how much discretion California law enforcement officials have in issuing concealed weapons permits.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=15573207

Not a good day for the Second in CA. I'm sure this will getr appealed, upheld and maybe to the USSC.

ETA: Title changed to reflect new reality. Al.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:01 PM   #2
jmortimer

This state bites. SCOTUS may fix it some day or make it much worse. Will see what 2012 brings.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:33 AM   #3
C0untZer0

I don't think SCOTUS will define the 2nd Amendment so specifcally to say that it equals the right to carry concealed.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:38 AM   #4
ZCORR Jay

"There is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public"

Lets hope that if you live in the Sacramento area you never ever have to defend yourself...

"SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A federal judge ruled Monday there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public — a decision that dealt a setback to gun-rights advocates who had challenged how much discretion California law enforcement officials have in issuing concealed weapons permits. U.S. District Court Judge Morrison England Jr. in Sacramento supported a policy by Yolo County Sheriff Ed Prieto that says applicants must have a reason, such as a safety threat, to legally carry a concealed weapon in his county northwest of Sacramento.

"Regulating concealed firearms is an essential part of Yolo County's efforts to maintain public safety and prevent both gun-related crime and, most importantly, the death of its citizens. Yolo County's policy is more than rationally related to these legitimate government goals," England wrote.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/16...gun-advocates/
Old May 17, 2011, 07:14 AM   #5
secret_agent_man

Quote:
there is no constitutional right to carry a hidden gun in public
There is no law which says you can't save for state a local laws, most of which will not withstand the required degree of scrutiny under the Second Amendment, should that ever be decided. Heller kind of left things in limbo there.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

We've got this going twice. Threads merged

GEM
Old May 17, 2011, 10:07 AM   #7
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Josh Blackman has a few things to say about the ruling, here.

I should also say that this opinion was entirely expected by Kilmer and Gura. They filed their notice of appeal almost as soon as the Judge issued his opinion. Check out the Docket to see what I mean.

Over in the 6th column, you will see that 4 of us hit PACER within minutes of each other. Each time, a new entry had been made.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:13 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0untZer0
I don't think SCOTUS will define the 2nd Amendment so specifcally to say that it equals the right to carry concealed.

You're right... It should not specify concealed or open or any other particular method... It should be no more specific than "bear arms". How, when and where is what freedom IS!
Old May 17, 2011, 01:23 PM   #9
C0untZer0

See this is the thing that I am afraid of in Illinois.

I'd rather accomplish things with the legislature than to try to accomplish things with the courts.
Old May 17, 2011, 03:13 PM   #10
CowTowner

Unfortunately, my former home state's elected officials require the courts to remind them what is and is not legal all too often.
It's sad really.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 25, 2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Richards have filed their opening brief (attached) to the 9th Circuit.

The brief is 90 pages, which I have only read about half. I'll have more to say later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Richards-v-Prieto-Opening-Brief-20110824.pdf (4.79 MB, 45 views)
Old August 25, 2011, 06:39 PM   #12
Isk

Huh. The court used a "rational basis" standard. I would think after Heller's "individual right" decision that you would need at least intermediate scrutiny to prevent a citizen from bearing arms...law should need to further an IMPORTANT government interest and be SUBSTANTIALLY related to that interest. I'd like to see the way the SCOTUS handles some of these upcoming challenges.
Old August 25, 2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
The court used a "rational basis" standard. I would think after Heller's "individual right" decision that you would need at least intermediate scrutiny to prevent a citizen from bearing arms.
...and you'd be exactly right. Heller explicitly ruled out rational basis.
Old August 25, 2011, 08:56 PM   #14
TCL

This is the 9th Circus, er, Circuit. You were expecting maybe a decision in favor of the 2nd Amendment?
Old August 25, 2011, 09:53 PM   #15
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Folks?

Richards is just now at the 9th Circuit. This is the beginning of the appeal process from the District judges opinion.
Old September 1, 2011, 02:28 PM   #16
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

There were two amicus briefs filed.

The NRA brief is filled with some delicious statistics that shred the trial Judges mantra of "Public Safety."

The CRPA brief is also filled with citations against the "in the home" mantra and calls into question the fallacy that Unloaded Open Carry (UOC - a CA thing) is sufficient for self defense.

Two very good briefs, that challenge previous 9th Circuit opinions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NRA-Richards-Amicus-2011-08-31.pdf (1.85 MB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf CRPA-F-Richards-Amicus-2011-08-31.pdf (1.88 MB, 36 views)
Old September 1, 2011, 06:00 PM   #17
TexasFats

While the NRA's amicus might be very apropos for refuting the judge's reasoning, don't expect it to sway the 9th Circuit Court. The reality is that the left only uses the crime issue as a propaganda tool. The reality is that they really don't believe that ordinary citizens should be armed or can be trusted with guns.

Sauron lives, and his orc minions are on the march.
Old September 2, 2011, 01:33 PM   #18
dvcrsn

I hope the CLEOs get pounded--it would be nice to see LAPD, LASD,SFPD and the rest actually issuing LTC/CCW with nothing more than a background check and a class similar to a security guard gun card
Old September 2, 2011, 02:29 PM   #19
deadcoyote

Although I reside in dirty old CA I must give a kind word here to our fine Sheriff in Humboldt County. CCW was even one of the main topics between the candidates for Sheriff in the election last year, and our electorate was clear enough that both candidates strongly and publicly stated they would continue Sheriff Phelps' policy of issue to anyone with a clear criminal record. Thus far it's going great as usual.
Old September 2, 2011, 02:36 PM   #20
motorhead0922

Question

Is a CA CCW permit good throughout the state?

I.e. a permit obtained in Humboldt County must be honored in an anti-gun county?

Thanks
Old September 2, 2011, 03:13 PM   #21
deadcoyote

Can't honestly say. I'm an LEO so CCW isn't needed. I still am happy I live and work in an armed county.
Old September 2, 2011, 03:30 PM   #22
Jim March

Quote:

I.e. a permit obtained in Humboldt County must be honored in an anti-gun county?
Yup.
Old September 2, 2011, 03:32 PM   #23
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadcoyote
Although I reside in dirty old CA I must give a kind word here to our fine Sheriff in Humboldt County. CCW was even one of the main topics between the candidates for Sheriff in the election last year, and our electorate was clear enough that both candidates strongly and publicly stated they would continue Sheriff Phelps' policy of issue to anyone with a clear criminal record. Thus far it's going great as usual.
Very glad to hear that this is going on in CA. You just never know, that could end up being the kind of thing that will finally wear away the resistance to CC in the rest of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead0922

Thanks
When I moved away from CA in 2006, the answer was "yes." Since then I haven't heard anything to indicate it has changed. What I have seen, however, is a map which shows there are a LOT more such sheriff's in the outlying counties who are issuing more and more CC permits on a "shall issue" basis. Warmed my heart, to be sure. I really do like CA and it's good to see this kind of thing happening.

Carry on the good work!

--Wag--
Old September 6, 2011, 06:13 PM   #24
HarrySchell

You can add Orange County to the "enlightened" when it comes to issuing carry licenses. The lady who replaced Carona is a protege of Lee Baca, who runs LA County SD and who is definitely anti-citizen...only criminals and cops should carry. The rest of us are too squirrely or something.

She started out to reverse Carona's CCW policies but rapidly got the message that those policies were not what got him into trouble. If she didn't want to go ask Baca for a job after the next election, she better refine her "attitude". She likes wearing four stars so she did.
Old September 6, 2011, 07:48 PM   #25
Isk

Some good statistics in the NRA brief. Hopefully the court won't see NRA on the cover sheet and throw it out the window before actually reading it.

Tags
2nd amendment , ca may issue , firearm rights , saf/gura