The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2005, 09:03 PM   #1
ditty22

40 s&w reloading???s

Ok i just got my rock chucker kit in the mail the other night with a few other odds and ends and i have a few questions about reloading 40s&w. My first question is what is the shortest that the shell case can be? One book said to trim to .847 and the other said .840? The brass i got was from midway and was once fired brass that was range pickups from military,police and such. I did check about 60 cases and a few of them where like .836-.839 is this still ok? My other question is do i really have to trim all the cases that im loading tonight all the same or what? One other thing that i seen is that when i went to check the size of a loaded from federal with a hydrashock it was like .020 under the size that the books say? thanks much guys ditty
Old December 1, 2005, 09:17 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't load .40 and can't give you any recipes, but...

Straight pistol cases are nearly always shorter than book length, and get shorter, not longer when fired. The taper crimp die will cover a pretty wide range of caselengths and I have NEVER trimmed a 9mm or .45 case. Did trim one mixed batch of .357 Magnums so they would all roll crimp the same but that is a different matter.

Seat bullets to the overall length (OAL) recommended by the load data. If your data is not for that EXACT bullet, load them as long as will chamber freely and go in the magazine. Seat slightly deeper if required for reliable feeding. Do NOT use maximum listed loads, especially for .40. Start with the starting load or 10% less than the maximum if one is not listed. Increase only if needed to function the gun and no more than necessary for that.
Old December 1, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
rcksil

Trim ???

There is one thing I do not do is trim straight wall brass. My 45,40,38 & 357 brass is only cleaned and then reloaded. Your length is ok to reload. If you ever get heavy into comp shooting then it measure and keep like sizes together, this is all important with with the crimp location, but that comes later. Reload safe and enjoy it!
<><
PS...Like Jim said DO NOT RELOAD TO THE MAX! Like I said RELOAD SAFE, Please!
BTW Welcome
Old December 1, 2005, 09:31 PM   #4
ditty22

Thanks very much guys! So how many reloads do you guys think i can get out of these once fired brass? thanks ditty
Old December 1, 2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Jeeper

Dont wast time prepping pistol brass. Just clean it and be done. I always figure that I will lose the brass before I destroy it. Use a nice average load and you will be happy.
Old December 1, 2005, 10:23 PM   #6
ditty22

So how many reloads will i get about out of these? 5 or 6?
Old December 2, 2005, 04:47 AM   #7
Tim R

Quote:
So how many reloads will i get about out of these? 5 or 6?
It depends. I know you want a number but it comes down to how hot your load is and what pistol your shooting it in and what brand of brass. You may get more reloads out of your brass than I will or vice versa.

For me, Federal gets 1 maybe 2 if I'm hard up. Other's get a few more.
Old December 2, 2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Cloudpeak

I'm on about my 6th reload with 40 S&W WWB brass and using reduced loads with 175 gr. cast bullets. No "throw-aways" yet.

Cloudpeak
Old December 2, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9
rcksil

How many...

Like a couple mentioned...it depends on how hot of a load you shoot. I sort of lost count on the reloads. I keep a few hundred 40's ready to shoot and have about a thousand empt dirty ugly brass ready to take their place when ready... like I said, lost count.
Reload safe!
<><
Old December 5, 2005, 08:15 PM   #10
shooter_john

I shoot 165gr FMJ's on 8gr's of blue dot( in a Glock), which is usually listed as a minimal load. I have some cases about to be reloaded for the 4th time, no troubles yet. I never trim pistol brass.
Old December 5, 2005, 11:29 PM   #11
scottys1

With autoloaders, I tend to lose cases before any become a problem. Spraying cases all over the countryside while shooting USPSA matches increases the loss factor.

That being said, I have some .40 cases that have been loaded 6 times and all look healthy. This is with loads that make major power factor.