The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2006, 01:40 AM   #1
from the Hip

Load development procedure?

Gentlemen:
I have been reloading for about 8 months and I have realized something daunting.
It is statistically possible for a reloader to load literally 10s of thousands of different recipes in an attempt to find the perfect load for his or her rifle. With all the variables including: Case, bullet, primer, powder, charge weight, bullet seating depth, and a few others * a min of 2 5shot tests. By the time that many rounds have gone down a barrel accuracy is a mute point. So my question is this... is there a commonly logical order of component evaluation? If so what is the proper method. Speaking objectively reloading is clearly more art form than science and yet it is possible that I am over analyzing the options. Might anyone have some insight to share?
Thanks
Old June 4, 2006, 02:07 AM   #2
Bullet94

from the Hip Quote – “It is statistically possible for a reloader to load literally 10s of thousands of different recipes in an attempt to find the perfect load for his or her rifle. With all the variables including: Case, bullet, primer, powder, charge weight, bullet seating depth, and a few others * a min of 2 5shot tests. By the time that many rounds have gone down a barrel accuracy is a mute point.”

I believe most rifles won’t tell the difference (or are good enough) using most components available today. Probably bullet and powder (type and amount) are of the most value to most rifles. With all the reloading manuals today you can usually find a recommended powder for your cartridge. Plus now there are programs (calculators?) to help. But I know what you mean. I’m trying to burn out my barrel working on loads. It’s a lot of fun. By the time I get this figured out I’ll probably need a new barrel.
Old June 4, 2006, 02:20 AM   #3
BILLY D.

hey pardner

do a google search for creighton audette's load ladder. it will save you a lot components and time. dan newberry also has a site on this subject and calls his the optimal charge weight. i think dan's method is better and i prefer it over the audette method.

also nosler, sierra and barnes feature their most accurate loads. the load they feature may not be the most accurate in your rifle but start low and work your way up.

reloading is both science and art. the art is getting all the science stuff in the right order to get the "perfect" round. then when every thing is "perfect" some louse boop changes their bullet or the other dork changes the powder formulation.

when i started this hobby 55+ years ago there were very few powders to choose from. now every wednesday there is a new powder produced and every friday a "new" bullet hits the market place. if you have a limited amount of firearms buy a lifetime supply of components that give you your best load and don't look back.

however there are those enquiring minds like myself who like to play and are constantly searching for something else. we keep hodgdon, nosler in business.

i spent most of my money on booze, women and reloading equipment....the rest i just wasted. lol

good luck and good shooting.

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR.....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

HAPPY TRAILS, BILL

NRA LIFE MEMBER-1965

THE THREAD KILLER
Old June 4, 2006, 04:42 AM   #4
gary2905

Will second Dan Newberry's OCW method.
If you check out his site, he can get you started with some pretty good bullet and powder combinations that seem to work for most guns.

If your end up being like a lot of us, you WILL play around with different combinations just for the hell of it.
Enjoy your newfound hobby!
Old June 4, 2006, 07:28 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

handgun only

Simpler:

Decide the purpose.
(This single idea is the most forgotten.)

Choose the projectile.
(I have eighty different bullets on my bench in .355/.357", .357/.359", .400", .410", .429/.430", .450-.453". I have found that often swapping bullets brings me closer to my goal.)

Choose other components.
(I have most different primers, different brand cases, including used, and currently --gotta get up and count-- 20 handgun-appropriate powders.)

Decide which launch platform(s) to use in load development.
(I have four 357's, three 45's, three 9's...)

Pick a published starting load that uses the bullet you've chosen.
(Pick bullets to buy the same way; do I have published data for this bullet?)

Based on purpose, decide your start load.
(This can be at the published start, in the middle, or near the top. Never start at the top, because guns are expensive to replace.)

Test enough rds to be significant.
(I make three first to test auto-loader function, then make more --based on purpose-- to test for velocity.)

First estsablish velocity, then work for accuracy.
(Once velocity goals are met, one can test for accuracy; not the other way. Chasing accuracy can involve changing: bullet, primer, case and its preparation, powder charge weight or type.)

Then make one hundred and test.
(Confirmed? Done.
Crap? One FTF? More FTF's? Accuracy swings? Too dirty? ANY complaints?
Start over.)

Last edited by WESHOOT2; June 4, 2006 at 07:41 AM. Reason: because I hit the wrong button
Old June 4, 2006, 10:48 AM   #6
30Cal

I have used the Taguchi Method (a Design of Experiments) which will allow you to vary several factors simultaneously. Very powerful way to get excellent results without firing a zillion rounds.

This article was written by a buddy of mine and was published. He uses a lot of computer programs but the whole thing can be done just as easily by hand.

Ty

http://www.zouaves.org/agr/Working_u..._using_DOE.pdf
Old June 4, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7
Bullet94

30Cal

I can't get your link to work.
Old June 4, 2006, 03:10 PM   #8
30Cal

Hmmm works for me. It links to a .pdf file so you'll need Adobe Reader at a minimum. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

Ty