The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2009, 08:08 PM   #1
jwalker497

Colt Defender vs Colt New Agent

I am interested in these 2 models but the Website does not list the specs and I read somewhere that one was lighter than the other. Can someone please list the comparison specs, length, height, weight, capacity, width, etc.

Also I understand the main difference between the two is the Sight system. Can someone shed light on which might be preferred? This will be carried IWB every day.

Lastly, I posted a poll to try to assess which one is more popular, please vote for which you prefer and please elaborate on why.

Thanks.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:25 PM   #2
michael t

Defender has 3 dot sights , Colt Duckbill beaver tail . The Agent has the gutter sight and old fashion non beaver tail . grooved front strap I haven't noticed any difference in weight might be I don't have scales
The Agent sights take getting used to. Myself and others shot low at first
That narrow grip safety will eat web of hand if you are shooting a lot and not wearing glove. I will not practice with glove I won't be wearing one if pistol needed.
I carry my defender more. Ive owned longer and just feel more comfortable with it.
Both have bee reliable and accurate The Agent will take more practice to get used to site . mine shoot 230 ball and HP fine I carry a 185 gr HP as I want the faster FPS from lighter bullet It might help with the reliability also.
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old December 15, 2009, 08:30 PM   #3
murphjup

I had the same decision about two years ago when the New Agent first came out.

I understand that the Defender and the New Agent both weigh 24-25 ozs unloaded. I do not ave any other dimensions.

I decided up the New Agent for the folowing reasons:

1) To me any of these smaller .45's are point and shoot for defensive purposes. Sights to me didn't matter for this reason. Im a pocket gun guy, so I am used to point shooting. I carry it IWB in a MTAC Holster.

2.) I liked the smaller thinner grips on the New Agent for carry purposes.

3.) I liked the stealthiness of the Dark blued/black color.

Mine has been 100% reliable with about 500 rounds of both factory and reloads.

IMHO You can't go wrong with either as a carry pistol. It's lighter weight compared to most other 1911's makes all the difference for carry.

Old December 16, 2009, 02:07 AM   #4
bakon

Anyone put an amidexrious safety on either of these?