The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 10, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
tahunua001

The Anti Black Gun

hello all, recently when I posted about a rarish AR15 that I own I got quite a few responses from other members that have been wanting ARs with similar appearance and it got me thinking, people get all bent out of shape when you throw plastic on an AK47 clone so I wonder what the general consensus on something like...

...THIS:

9MM AR15 built on a DPMS lower receiver with Rock River Arms black laminate wood furniture. it will eventually have a redfield revolution hunting scope and maybe some day I will find a 10 round magazine that works so that she's not so awkward to carry hunting.

has anyone else had the courage to put their wood where wood doesn't belong ?

Last edited by tahunua001; December 10, 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Sweet Shooter

Wow over 200 views and not a single reply. Well I'm not sure what kind of reply you're expecting. I have to say I'm not crazy about the mag shape on these. The wood is nice enough, but I'd like to see it on a traditional M4 format. I'd like to see a good set of irons on there... speaking purely for my own likes and dislikes of course. Out of interest how's the weight with the wood on there and more importantly how does it perform?
-SS-
Old December 10, 2012, 11:12 PM   #3
tahunua001

well being 9mm with a non-floated handguard you can expect that it's not as accurate as others but 2 MOA is not uncommon with it. minute of squirrel is more than enough for me. it is lighter than you would expect, weighing about the same as a standard carbine length AR although the 9mm magazine well block adds an extra pound or so.

I must say that for a long time a rifle length in 5.45x39 with A2 style walnut furniture was on my wish list but I abandoned it after I became addicted to milsurp bolt actions. strangely though I have found the idea creeping back into my mind though and may eventually piece one together over the next couple years.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:51 PM   #4
David White

Damn man, how many feet long is that barrel?
Old December 10, 2012, 11:58 PM   #5
tahoe2

that may be the coolest AR I have ever seen !! nice job !
Old December 10, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Metal god

That's real cool looking and I would like to have something like that . My guess is . If I owned it , it would become a safe queen .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:11 AM   #7
tahunua001

Quote:
Damn man, how many feet long is that barrel?
the same as every other carbine length one

Quote:
That real cool looking and I would like to have something like that . My guess is . If I owned it , it would become a safe queen .
I was warned that this one would be just that if I ever built it, I guess that is somewhat correct. I do not shoot it all that often but then again I don't shoot most of my guns as often as I would like. I have contemplated using it for close range weapons season for deer if my state ever brings that season back, it used to be you could use any shotgun, muzzle loader or caliber originally designed as a pistol cartridge, now it's muzzle loader only.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
rickyrick

I like the rifle, but the magazine has to go. Lol
Old December 11, 2012, 10:24 PM   #9
tahunua001

I actually kindof like the look of the 9mm stick mags, kindof reminiscent of the M1928 thompson's. I wish I could get a decent 10 rounder that works... out of 3 30 rounders and a 20 rounder the only one that works is the Colt 30 rounder.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Grizz12

love the wood!!
Old December 12, 2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Nine the Ranger

That has got to be one of the coolest rifles I've ever seen.

How much did that whole rig cost you?
Old December 12, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Ozzieman

I like black AR’s but saying that, I really like yours. My only comment would be to change the color of the lower and upper to something closer to the stocks. The wood is great but the black center takes away from the great wood.
Nice job.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:13 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
That has got to be one of the coolest rifles I've ever seen.

How much did that whole rig cost you?
the whole shebang came in just over $1,000. the wood was cheaper than what is currently available though so a similar setup would cost a little more nowadays.

later on I'm hoping to do a flat top rifle length in either 6.5 grendel or 5.45x39 with a set of DPMS walnut on it but that will be far down the road.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #14
raimius

Looks nice. I don't mind the plastic and aluminum of most black rifles, but that is nice.
Old December 13, 2012, 12:37 PM   #15
stubbicatt

Neat!~ Nobody else will have one like it!
Old December 13, 2012, 12:53 PM   #16
BlueTrain

Some of the original AR-10s in the 1950s had wood "furniture." I don't think they were laminated, though. Haven't looked at the photos recently.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 14, 2012, 11:58 AM   #17
tahunua001

that would be something to see. I have only seen one AR10 with wood stock set but it was a black laminate set like mine but oddly shaped. I think a standard AR15 shaped set of walnut would look quite sharp.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #18
rickyrick

I've kind wondered but never asked, how does the 9mm perform in a rifle? Like accuracy, useable range and effective range for hunting ect.

Would it be usefull in shotgun slug ranges?
Old December 14, 2012, 04:35 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

One of our teachers built his AR around RR receivers with a 26" Kreiger barrel that he turned down on a lathe and chambered. He used California Walnut for the furniture and carved and checkered his own pistol grip. I'm writing it up right now for some gun magazine.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:34 PM   #20
tahunua001

Quote:
I've kind wondered but never asked, how does the 9mm perform in a rifle? Like accuracy, useable range and effective range for hunting ect.

Would it be usefull in shotgun slug ranges?
it's accurate enough to hit squirrels at 100 yards, I would put maximum effective range for varmints at 150-ish yards but have never tried it on anything of size. I would have liked to take it out for deer this year but I never got the chance this year so I don't rightly know but I would say inside shotgun ranges that a 147gr soft point would do a great deal of damage, probably similar to a 38 special or light 357 at the same range.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:09 AM   #21
BlueTrain

I just pulled out the only reference I have that has an AR-10 in it. The captions of two that clearly have wood handguards (and plastic buttstock) are described as experimental. They had different barrel lengths and built-in grenade launchers. However, I suspect that all production models were made with no wood at all, only plastic. They were made in The Netherlands. Intitial production of AR-15s was at Colt. My reference is the 1962 edition of Small Arms of the World.

I don't have any reference handy on the EM-2 other than a photo in the same book. It calls the forearm "molded" but it looks like wood.

I was wondering when plastic was first used on long guns. The Germans experimented a great deal with laminated stocks for rifles during WWII and I think ultimately began producing the 98k short rifle with a laminated beech stock, which is a polite way of saying plywood. One source said they experimented with metal butts but they otherwise only used a plastic butt on the MG34 and MG42. I don't think anyone else used plastic like that during the war.
Buy War Bonds.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:45 AM   #22
mete

The Steyr AUG was available in black, green, tan and white IIRC.
Old December 15, 2012, 12:15 PM   #23
rugerdawg

I f you are interested in some nice ar wood stocks try these guys ."ironwooddesigns.com"
Old December 15, 2012, 11:36 PM   #24
Cameron

Old December 16, 2012, 12:37 AM   #25
12GaugeShuggoth

Speaking as someone who generally doesn't like the AR platform too much, I think that's a neat looking rifle. I actually like the long stick-mag too, for that small bit of nostalgia (at least in appearance) I guess. A unique or customized gun that you can really call you own is always better anyway.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE