The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 11, 2008, 02:54 AM   #1
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Just how compatible are different manufacture's parts?

I am relatively new to reloading. And I have seen/heard some comments about keeping your equipment all from the same manufacture.

How important is this? I would think that if something is built to spec that it should be built to spec.

For example: would a Lee die set work fine with a RCBS press?

I am just wondering how critical "keeping it all in the family" truly is?

Thanks!

Now, go figure...
Old August 11, 2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Wildebees

Any die screws into any press, and from thereon it is the operator who sets the depths, etc.

Certainly I have not tried to interchange die components between same caliber dies of different manufacturers and see no reason to do that either.

Just for normal reloading for hunting, I have not had anything but excellent results whether it was a Lee, Lyman or RCBS die in my RCBS press.
Old August 11, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3
wncchester

If by "parts" you mean dies and shellholders, they are interchangeable. They are all made to SAAMI tolerances.
Old August 11, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
SL1

Yes and No

There are a lot of interchageable parts among manufacturers, but some parts are not interchangeable even between different vintages of the same manufacturer's dies.

As others have said, most dies are standard threads where they screw into the press, so using Lee dies on an RCBS press works fine for single stage presses. When you go to progressive presses, things may or may not work, depending on how some dies were modified to help automate the task.

And, some manufacturers, such as RCBS, changed the threads on their bullet seating stem during the time that I have been reloading, so a new seating punch doesn't fit an old die. (But, in the case of RCBS, they will provide parts for their old dies FREE, so don't hold that against RCBS.) For quite some time, the RCBS designs were sort of an unofficial standard, so parts from other dies could often, but not always be exchanged. And, some manufacturers actually made parts for RCBS designs that RCBS does not make (e.g., a tungsten carbide expander ball for bottleneck cases made by Redding).

I have a mix of parts and dies that works for me to do some non-standard stuff. It includes parts from RCBS, Lee, Redding, Forster, Lyman and maybe some I have forgotten. I have even machined a few parts that I did not find available commercially from anybody.

So, mix and match as you desire, but check for compatibility by askihg the manufacturer, the distributor or here if you are not sure.

SL1