The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 31, 2007, 04:34 PM   #1
m-g willy

Why brass grip frame

I got the Uberti Hartford model SAA with steel triggergard and backstrap because its like the org. Colt SAA
What I was wondering about is WHY did Colt ever switch from the brass frames they used on the 51 navy to steel?
The blueing wears off the steel straps and will rust. And the brass grip straps just keeps looking better the more you use them.
Any ideas why they switched?

Willy
Old May 31, 2007, 05:00 PM   #2
Plink

Brass is not as durable as steel and folks back then put a lot of miles on their guns. Brass may have been used originally as a cost saving measure at the time. I like the looks of brass better myself, but I generally buy steel. Rust is preventable anyway, and bluing wear is the sign of honest work.
Old May 31, 2007, 05:54 PM   #3
m-g willy

I agree there with you Plink
I own a Uberti Hartford with the steel frame because that's what the org. Colt SAA had.
But I don't think the brass grips would be any less durable than the steel unless you were using them as a hammer (I know they were used as a hammer at times by idiots ,the same as I see some people use knives as pry bars now adays)
I just think they would been better if'n they kept the brass

Willy
Old May 31, 2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Slamfire

Colt was an industry leader in using the most advanced materials and machinery and manufacturing processes. Of course this was all in the 1850's. I seem to recall reading that Colt used Sheffield crucible cast steels, which were the best of the days.

We live in a day where it is hard to believe that something as common as steel was once a valuable and expensive item. Pre Civil guns used as much brass, iron, as they could to save money. Steel was quite expensive. I believe I saw an analysis of a Harpers Ferry flintlock. Maybe only the spring and frizzen were steel.

When you look at the tensile, ultimate, of brass and compare it to steel. The stuff is absolutely inferior. Going to steel would have been an upgrade.