The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2006, 01:21 PM   #1
DBski

Magazine coming out

Was at the range yesterday shooting an EAA witness, 40 SW, and the magazine kept goming out by about a 1/8 inch. Thaought maybe some how I was pressing the mag release button. After making sure I wasn't, i also noticed when the slide stop release was operated the mag would come out also. On the way home stopped at my FFL who is also a fair gunsmith, we determined that it might be the magazine. At home trying the other mag I found that the mag would not come loose when slide stop was released, will have to go back the range to see if a new mag is the answer. Called EAA and they said it sounded like a mag problem. They will send me 2 high cap mags for $50. Why would the mag go bad all of a sudden. It was not dropped or misused in any way. Probably had about 500 rounds through it.
Old January 12, 2006, 01:38 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

couple of things to check

Make sure the slot where the magazine catch slides into the magazine has a positive angle on it. It sounds like it was cut with a negative angle which is what is causing it to back down on you. It may just be cut too low, compare the bad magazine to the one that does fine for you, the slots should be close to being identical, I bet the bad magazine's slot is either cut too low, or the angle it is cut on is negative.

In case you don't understand what I am talking about:

Positive means the lower part of the slot is angled up toward the top and Negative means it is angled toward the bottom which will allow the mag catch to slide out under force by the slide pushing on it. It can be neutral and still work, but it should be slightly positive.

You could work on the slot with a file or cut off tool of a dremel to make it positive by filing or cutting the slot at a downward angle toward the inside of the magazine instead of away from it like it most likely is already. This will help it stay put for you. If it happens to be cut too low, I would have them replace it for you. Good luck with it.