The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 19, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
.38Catt

Is it possible NOT to have a caliber war...

I was looking at Ruger SRc Series. I have a couple 9mms and thought it would be nice to try something new. As of this writing Ruger does not offer this weapon (the compact version) in .45. I have no experience with the .40 S&W.

It would be nice to have another caliper in the mix. When the ammo shortage was at its worst (seems to be improving a bit) I would see .40 on the shelves even when other calibers were sold out.

Among my few concerns would be pre-mature wear on the SR platform.

Is it possible to relay some info from your experience with the .40 without starting a caliper war? I would apprieciate it.

Thanks,

.38Catt
Old August 20, 2013, 12:02 AM   #2
BarryLee

I’ve got a HK USP40 and its great gun. The recoil is very manageable and the gun is also very accurate. I purchased it because I wanted a handgun chambered in the .40S&W to go along with the other calibers that I own and have never regretted the purchase.

If you’ve got 9mms and .45ACPs and want to add another caliber to your collection .40S&W is a great way to go.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 20, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
jimbob86

I just shot my Aunt's PX4 compact in .40S&W this weekend ..... kind of flippy in that light of a gun, but I did manage to hit the pop cans I was aiming at....
Old August 20, 2013, 03:50 AM   #4
kozak6

A few years back, some .40 S&W pistols were designed by beefing up the 9mm guns. This had mixed results.

So, these days, .40 pistols are designed with .40 (or sometimes even .357 Sig!) in mind from the drawing board.

While wear might be objectively greater than on a 9mm version, it won't be undue. Modern pistols are built to handle it, and as a carry pistol, you probably won't shoot it enough to matter. And if you somehow do, Ruger is well known for providing excellent customer service.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Kevin_d77

Variety is the spice of life! And I agree that the USP40 is a tame, albeit large, shooting 40!
Old August 20, 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
aarmel732

The .40 is my main round. I have a px4 Storm in 40, which is the lightest shooting of all the .40's. It is wonderfully accurate, and shows no adverse wear after more than a thousand rounds through it. I would be confident that current manufactured guns are designed fully with the .40 in mind.

I hold to the large diversity of caliber collection. My only revolver is a 357, so that opens up 3 different bullets to select from when stock is low.
My PX4 is .40 only
I have a Taurus PT100 which is 40, but sourced a slide, barrel, spring and locking lug from gun broker, so with a mag and slide change, it is also a 9x19
I have a 380, and a couple 22's.
And a 1911 covers my 45 needs.

So pretty much, no matter what is in stock, I have something that can use it. During the start of the shortage, it was all 40. Now, it seems 45 in stock around here. But I happened upon a couple boxes of cheap 9x19 a few weeks ago - slide change! in business.
Old August 20, 2013, 08:38 AM   #7
RBid

Is it possible NOT to have a caliber war...

The .40 is one of my preferred rounds. I initially got into it in January, because of the ammunition shortage. It's a great round, with a lot going for it. While a lot of people call it a "compromise round", I don't see it that way. It's about half way between 9 and .45 in diameter, but moves at full 9mm velocities. Those aren't qualities that need to be settled on.

The only drawback to the round is that it is a little snappy. Most people will find that they shoot 9mm more efficiently than .40, while shooting with speed. In order to utilize the .40 without losing efficiency, you want the launcher to have a low bore, a well designed recoil spring assembly, and enough weight and grip to help gobble up the snap. The SR40c meets that criteria. I would say it's one of the smallest pistols that I would recommend for the round.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:05 AM   #8
dontcatchmany

I have a couple of 9s, and 357 magnums and a FNX 40.

I am also looking at an FNX 45....not "ready to pull the trigger" as yet as I am working on the scope mounts for my 25-06 rifle....so money is going to that.

I chose the .40 over the .45 initially because the .40 ammo seemed to be on the shelves in more amounts than .45 or 9mm, and when I picked it up, it just "felt right".

Snappy? I beg to differ on that incorrect statement, especially with the .40 FNX.

Even with me shooting it, the FNX .40 is very accurate and with about 500 rounds through it, I have not had the first problem.

Another good thing about the .40 FNX is that the magazines will also take 357 Sig ammo and all it takes is a barrel swap (I believe) and I can do .357 Sig......might invalidate the warrantee but it is possible.

Knowing me I will just get a complete .357 Sig and a .45, but that is going to cause me to get a larger gun/ammo safe which might mean building a larger house or at least adding on to the current one

I like the .40
Old August 20, 2013, 09:25 AM   #9
MLeake

I have owned .40 and .357 SIG pistols, and I could find ammo for them when I could not find 9mm, .38, .357M, or .45, so they did have that advantage.

My P229 could convert from .40 to .357 SIG (and to 9mm, if I had bought the Storm Lake barrel), so it had an additional advantage.

However, I prefer the shooting characteristics of 9mm and .45, so I no longer have .40 or .357 SIG pistols.

I do sometimes wish I had kept the P229, but not enough to buy another one.

For that matter, platform preferences do play a role. My two favorite semi-autos are the 1911 and the CZ75, and their variants. The 1911 performs best with .45 or 38 Super, and CZ compact capacity drops radically with .40 vs 9mm (from 14 to 10, and the .40 mag base is harder to conceal), so that has influenced my caliber decisions.

If I were to buy another .40, I would go for a pistol that was built around it. Examples would be the Beretta PX4, SIG P229, and S&W M&P.

Edit: the FNX-40 is also not a bad choice. I had one. I liked it, overall, but found that my performance dropped off noticeably with one-handed shooting. I did not know they had .357 barrels for those. With the P229, mags and recoil springs were the same, so I would imagine the FNX would be similar.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
However, I prefer the shooting characteristics of 9mm and .45, so I no longer have .40 or .357 SIG pistols.
Same here, I just have my old Glock 22 due to sentimental value.

Not a fan of the .40's harsh muzzle rise. Fun at the range for some, nice, quiet, and calm to hit the target with that harsh muzzle rise. It's much more difficult to send a string of bullets in a tighter group with a .40 that it is with a 9mm.
Can it be done? Sure..I used to...can it be easier to do? Sure. I do so now.

Quite honestly most common pistol rounds don't offer much over the other, other than recoil and capacity. I stick mainly to 9mm.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany
Snappy? I beg to differ on that incorrect statement, especially with the .40 FNX.
How in the world is that an incorrect statement? He said the .40 was "a little snappy", which is completely subjective; depending on your point of view, ANY cartridge could be called "a little snappy".

What's NOT subjective is that - with all other factors being equal - guns in .40 S&W tend to have a snappier recoil than guns in 9mm. This is basic physics. Now, that extra snappiness varies from design to design; sometimes it's not really much of a factor and sometimes it slows down follow-up shots noticeably.

This seems to come up with every caliber discussion: People who act like the .40 doesn't have more recoil than the 9mm. This is simply incorrect. Now, how much that extra recoil bothers you and affects your shooting is a different issue altogether.

Which brings up the other thing that always comes up in these discussions: People who seem to think that those who don't like the .40 somehow can't handle the extra recoil. Sure, that might be true for some, but mainly that preference is because people want to make faster follow-up shots, something that is easier with the 9mm due to its lower recoil.

OP: You mentioned a concern about premature wear on an SR40C. Guns in .40 do tend to wear faster than their 9mm counterparts, but with a good design that difference should be negligible. The only difference you'll probably notice is that you might have to replace your recoil spring a few thousand rounds earlier, that's it.

Last edited by Theohazard; August 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
This seems to come up with every caliber discussion: People who act like the .40 doesn't have more recoil than the 9mm. This is simply incorrect. Now, how much that extra recoil bothers you and affects your shooting is a different issue altogether.
Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself. Want to know why? I used to be one of those guys where the extra recoil "didn't bother me" because I was under the false pretense that I was gaining so much more power behind the .40S&W. Placebo effect so to speak?

I wish they'd just say "it doesn't bother me" instead of pretending the recoil isn't more harsh..
Old August 20, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
Dragline45

Quote:
I wish they'd just say "it doesn't bother me" instead of pretending the recoil isn't more harsh..
Agreed. The extra recoil of the .40 doesn't bother me one bit, but its enough that I can put more shots on target more quickly and accurately with 9mm vs .40, hence the reason I don't own and have no desire to own a .40.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:40 AM   #14
breakingcontact

It's easy to not have a caliber war. Just ask anyone with their ego tied up into their possessions to not comment.

I prefer 9mm over 40, but there's no war over it. 40 is good stuff too, so is 45.

40's don't recoil THAT bad, especially if you have a decent grip. As far as premature wear, I don't think that would be a concern with regular ammo.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
40's don't recoil THAT bad, especially if you have a decent grip.
Of course, then again neither does a 500 magnum. Seriously.

It's the recoil management being easier to handle that keeps you on target longer. Recovery from recoil shot after shot is really important.
Old August 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #16
DavidAGO

I think it is very possible to not have a caliber war; my .40 S&W's live happily right beside my 1911 .45's with nary a sign of animosity between the two.

And if I ever get a 9mm(don't know why I would need one, I already have a .22), I am sure it would live peaceably by the other two.

David
Old August 20, 2013, 10:54 AM   #17
BigJimP

I have .40's and 9mm's in 2 identical platforms...a Sig 239 and a Sig 226 all stainless.....both of them are definitely a little more snappy in .40S&W ( where I shoot a 180gr bullet exclusively) vs either the 115gr or 124gr I shoot in 9mm.../ and I reload so availability of ammo is no big deal to me ( its all available ) ....

I have a number of guns in 9mm ( 1911's in 4" and 5", Sig 239, Sig 226 )...and 1911's in .45 acp ....and a variety of S&W revolvers in .357 mag ( K, L an N frames in 2 1/2", 4", 6" and 8 3/8" barrels ).....and the 9mm's get shot a lot ( cheaper to shoot, less recoil) ...and the .45 acp's get shot a lot ...and the .40's kind of get left out in the semi-autos...not that I don't like them / but I don't need them for range practice and I don't carry them. To me, they're just an in between caliber...and if I had to downsize and get rid of some guns, it would be the .40's that would go first....long before any of the extra revolvers would ...just from a pure fun standpoint.

To me....

a. 9mm's are the cheapest to reload ...and cheapest to buy retail ...
b. If I want to shoot something heavier for fun or practice...I'd go to a .357 Mag or to .45 acp.../ both kind of iconic..
c. I keep about 10 - 20 boxes of .40S&W reloads on hand....but 90% of the time, I shoot them in a fairly unique gun - a Sig X-Five...because I want to shoot the X-Five ..not because I happened to buy it in .40S&W. If I had bought the X-Five in 9mm, I might even shoot it more...
d. I bought the 3 guns I have in .40S&W...just to kind of round out my collection ...( especially in the Sig 239 and Sig 226 ) ...more to be different than anything else. I like them / but I don't shoot them much.
e. At one point, I had a Wilson Combat 1911 in .40S&W...5" gun...( see a repeat of all the above comments )...I bought it used, nice gun, at the height of "guys were buying anything" ...a casual friend offered me $ 3K for it / so I sold it....because I wasn't shooting it as much ...( and my Wilson in 9mm and .45 acp are 2 of my all time favorite guns....but I just never became attached to the same gun in .40S&W ---but at the time, I had to have it .../ I like it, but I can't say I've ever regretted selling it ( and I don't sell hardly any guns !! ) ....?? I haven't even invested the money in another gun...not really anything I want right now ...but there is no way I would have sold my favorite Wilson's in 9mm or .45 acp ...at twice that price ...!!

To me, you can overcome the ammo shortage/if there is another one...by just buying a few cases of ammo retail, when you see it --- in my area, all the calibers are readily available again..( 9mm is about $ 17 a box )...but if I thought ammo availability was a problem, I wouldn't add another caliber - I'd just look at what amount of ammo I shoot annually for practice ( say 2 boxes a week - so I'd put 100 boxes into my inventory -- and when I got down to 20 boxes, I'd stock up again )...kind of like what I do now, in reloading components...

But if you just want another gun ...and you want one in .40S&W ...just buy it and try it....
Old August 20, 2013, 12:37 PM   #18
Waspinator

I actually shot a .40 S&W for the first time this weekend. A gentleman in the next lane was firing one and we struck up a conversation and he offered to let me shoot it. While the recoil was fine, what I didn't like was the noise it made. It is hard to explain... instead of a BOOM, it is more of a CRACK... a kind of noise that you feel in your teeth. The only word I have for it is obnoxious. That's just me though and maybe I'm way out there on that one.. but that is what I walked away from that experience of shooting a .40 for the first time.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:17 PM   #19
tahunua001

I don't know, my SR9C has lasted just as well as my XDM9
my XDM9 has handled just as well as my brother's XDM40.
his XDM40 has lasted jsut as well as his XDM45 and my XDM45 compact...

I know it's not exactly the info you were looking for but all will kill a bad guy dead as a door nail so I see no need for a caliber war.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:45 PM   #20
breakingcontact

Re: Is it possible NOT to have a caliber war...

40 does have a different sound to it. I think you've seen a bit of a caliber skirmish here.

It's totally silly.

Get what you like and will practice with and can shoot well.
Old August 20, 2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Sevens

I have a genuine distaste and fact-based disdain for the .40 Smith & Wesson cartridge all on it's own, but I surprised even myself when I started shooting it and now I shoot it often.

But listen to my reason WHY:
The .40cal was a (seemingly) rushed project that was birthed as the result of making the 10mm Auto easier to handle. When different agencies requested 10mm ammo that was more controllable, Smith & Wesson said "if you really want your 10mm going 900 fps, why don't you let us make a smaller cartridge and allow us to make a smaller pistol?" and the .40 S&W was born.

From the standpoint of a long time hobbyist handloader, what was created was a round that ran high pressure in a ridiculously small case, which meant that COAL and bullet depth inside the brass case would be critical and an unintentional and/or unnoticed bullet setback could (would?!) have catastrophic results.

When the 10mm was first chambered in the S&W pistols, they took a larger .45cal frame size and in it, they placed a large .45cal outside diameter barrel with a smaller .40cal hole for the barrel and chamber, resulting in a barrel with -MORE- metal (more meat!) all around the hot round, sitting in a large frame sized pistol.

However when they released the 4006 pistols to the market... they did exactly the opposite. They took 9mm frame sized pistols (not the bigger .45 frame size) and they used a barrel that would fit those smaller pistols, but with a .40 cal hole bored in them.

Instead of taking .45 "sized" everything and making the hole smaller for a hot round (10mm), they took 9mm "sized" everything and put a hot .40 S&W round in it.

.40 Smith & Wesson was the first handgun round to come with caveats, warnings and boldfaced "!!!" print in all the handloading & data source publications. .40 S&W is the undisputed champion in the legend of handgun "kabooms" (and no, it's not just the early Glocks) It's because you've got a high pressure round with a heavy(ish) slug in a small volume case. There's like -zero- room for error or failure.

So, believing all of THAT the way that I do, how did I end up with a .40 cal?!
Easy! I bought a KKM conversion barrel for my 10mm chambered Glock 29 to shoot .40 S&W. And if I wish, I can run the balls off it. My frame size, my barrel and the whole package is simply designed for a larger, bigger round. It's all the things I desire in a .40cal chambered pistol.

Reason I bought it? Sick of losing my 10mm brass.

I still shoot lots of 10mm, usually on my club range where it all stays around me. When I'm taking part in some kind of shooting "event" or gathering where brass is spewed in every direction and lost, I shoot a lot of .40cal and just pick up what I can, when I can. Works for me.
Old August 20, 2013, 02:03 PM   #22
madmo44mag

I own and carry the SR40c
For a carry gun I love it.
I use to carry a S&W 9mm and / or a 45 acp.
The 9mm ballistics never impressed me but was light and comfortable to carry and with 8 + 1 gave plenty of follow up shots if needed.
The 45 was just to dam heavy and bulky for daily carry IMHO.
I had shot a number of 40's and recoil and ballistics were acceptable.
When the chance to buy the SR40c came along I jumped on it.
For a carry gun I love it.
For a range gun not that much fun to shoot.
The lack of overall weight lends to a stiffer recoil.
Old August 20, 2013, 04:09 PM   #23
SpareMag

<sigh>

Quote:
Among my few concerns would be pre-mature wear on the SR platform.

Is it possible to relay some info from your experience with the .40 without starting a caliper war? I would apprieciate it.

Thanks,

.38Catt
When my motorcycle boards get innundated about whether BBs in the handlebar to reduce headshake affect turn-in radius, the saner heads reply

Ride more and worry less.

Seems good advice to follow for a lot of weapon discussions.

To the OP then, IMHO:
Shoot more and worry less.
Old August 20, 2013, 06:48 PM   #24
ritepath

I've never met a caliber I didn't like...well except the 25 auto.

I bought a 40 because of the last shortage/run. It paid off this time...

I'm thinking the lesson I've learned this time around is to get into reloading.

recent weeks I've found 380,9,40,45 all on the shelf and coming home with me.
Old August 20, 2013, 09:49 PM   #25
.38Catt

Thanks...

Some good replies, no wars!

What, me worry?

Sorry if I bored you, SpareMag. Ride and shoot safe!

.38Catt