The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2012, 03:58 PM   #1
savage1r

First Time With a Glock

Hey all, I picked up my new G22 (along with a Walther P22) in trade for a Winchester 70 Stealth I had been trying to get rid of for a while (never really shot it). Last week I finally got a chance to get out on the range with my buddy and run my lead reloads though it (Wolf barrel, don't worry) and I had a great time. Obviously I'm not a great shot and I need to work on my technique quite a bit, but the gun was a dream to shoot, and, worked flawlessly! Check it out:

VIDEO
Old November 16, 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
bitttorrrent

Hi, could you expound on the Wolf barrel when shooting lead reloads.

I only have 50 rounds through my new Glock and wondering what the deal is with Glocks and reloads.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
ScotchMan

Glocks use polygonal rifling in their barrels, which are not recommended to use with lead bullets. You can get an aftermarket barrel with standard rifling to drop into your Glock and fire lead bullets with.

Glock doesn't recommend using reloads just like most manufacturers, as a legal measure to cover their asses in case something goes wrong. There is nothing any more wrong with shooting jacketed bullets in a Glock than any other gun.

Many people shoot lead bullets through their Glocks anyway and report no issues.

The up side is polygonal rifling is supposed to provide a very marginal increase in velocity over a same-sized traditional barrel. I think I remember seeing a video comparison and the difference was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20fps.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 18, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Gen3Glock22

I think your shooting was fine. If you were in self defense cituation all of your fast shooting rounds would have been in the chest, nice work.
Old November 18, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Warrior1256

I am a retired correctional officer and my lasy duty weapon was a Glock 21. The grip fit my hand so well it truly felt like an extension of my arm. I was so impressed that this past March I bought one. I love It!!!
Old November 18, 2012, 09:28 PM   #6
bitttorrrent

Thanks Scotchman. I did not know about the polygonal barrel - sorry Glock newbie I guess.

Glad you like your new Glock - to OP,
How do you like the trigger?

My G17 seems a little stiff, but only has 50 rnds. through it.
Old November 18, 2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Amsdorf

Master the reset point and you can squeeze them off incredibly fast.