The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 26, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1
gordon29

come back buck!

last year i spotted a lop sided 13 point buck with a small drop tine on my trail camera in the area i hunt there is thich brush, open woods hay feild 20 yards be hind me with apple trees and a small creek dividing the 2 i also throw out 50 lbs of corn a week i waited to see this buck again for the rest of the season and never saw him again. i just spotted him in full velvet this year 300yrds east... an suggestons on how to pull him in and keep him in my hunting area while the rut is out?
Old August 26, 2007, 08:29 PM   #2
TheShootist1894

Does

You might want to look into attracting GOOD does, when their heat turns up, he will be there,
buck during rut + HOT does = easy target

Hope you get him

let us Know how it turns out

Karl
Old August 26, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
castnblast

Do not...I repeat DO NOT use any estrous scents early...you will spook him right out of there. stay off the scents, use some good scent eliminators, and try to find the trail he used. follow it, but don't walk right on it. Best to do this in mid afternoon, when dew is not present. your scent won't stick around much. Be very carefull though when doing this. you want to snoop, and not be snooped. Also remember that he is there now, but his habbits will change later in the season. Figure out what he's munching on, and try to set up on it.
Old August 26, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
hunterjoe21

If you can figure out what he's feeding on now, you can kill him once the season starts.Where I live and hunt (NE Ohio) Most deer are feeding on soybean (#1) and corn (#2) now. They'll continue feeding on beans and corn until soft mast foods(apples and wild grapes) are ready.

Our season starts at the end of September. For early season bucks, (NON-NOCTURNAL), you need to figure out his feeding/bedding routine. get yourself between them, and you should be in good shape. If he's already a NOCTURNAL buck, you may not see him again before the rut, and even then, he may leave the area in search of does. Good thing there is, for every deer that leaves, one takes his place.

You didn't mention if you planned to hunt him early (with a bow in Ohio) or if waiting for the rut was the only option. Our gun season starts just after the rut ends(unless everything starts late for some reason). You should have an advantage anytime the apple trees are dropping fruit, unless the Oak trees are dropping acorns at the same time. (NOTHING trumps acorns, bar none, if fresh acorns are on the ground, you WILL find deer closeby).

I wouldn't bother with throwing out "deer corn" unless the deer in your area have no access to crop fields. If you enhance it with some "attractants", it might be a different story (mollasses comes to mind, also anise oil is popular here), but you'll have trouble drawing deer away from a "known" food source with a pile of corn polluted with "people" scent.

And I will echo what "castnblast" said, do NOT use estrous scents early in the season. That buck knows when the does should start their estrous cycle,(I think it's called PHOTOPERIODISM), and if the timing isn't right, you'll do nothing but run him out of there...