The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 19, 2012, 06:27 AM   #26
old roper

I grew up right handed shot with both eye open and after got out service I start using scope rifles had no problems. Got into BR I close my left eye as only concerned with see the target and I played around shooting rifle/pistol left handed over the years. I also tried LH shotgun didn't work and when I started archery last year I'm left handed left eye dominant and I've known
been left eye dominant for many years.

My folk told me I never showed signs and that I wanted to use left hand more than right and only problem I ever had was in school when to Catholic school was learning how to write. Late 40's I don't thing they full understood and today they more than likely made me change over to left handed.
NRA Life Member
Old November 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #27
Mobuck

Simpy put a piece of masking tape over the lense of the shooting glasses(you're using safety/shooting glasses right?) on the dominant side.
Had this problem with my Daughter-painfully left handed but right eye dominant. Even a smear of lip balm on the glasses while in the field is enough to occlude the dominant eye sufficiently to allow hunting.
Old November 19, 2012, 02:03 PM   #28
rebs

I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant. I just close my left eye, works for me. At my age it kind of late to start shooting lefty.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:06 PM   #29
scoutman

I find that if I blink my dominant (left)eye, my focus immediately snaps to my non dominant (right) eye.
Old November 20, 2012, 06:32 AM   #30
Regolith

I'm a lefty with a right-dominate eye. I didn't even really know about eye dominance until long after I had already learned to shoot left handed; I thought everyone had to close one of their eyes when they were aiming. Luckily, I never shot pistols very much before I learned about it, so I never developed a side preference with them, and I can effectively shoot them right handed (or left, if I feel like it).

I have found that I can "force" a temporary change in eye dominance. Unfortunately it isn't all that easy and I quickly lose control over it.

Quote:
So, you think a left-handed shooter can run the bolt on a right-hand action off his left shoulder?
Quote:
Yes. Not as fast, but yes.
That depends. as I said I'm a lefty, and I've been making do with right handed rifles for most of my life. If the rifle is on a rest or is balanced right, I can shoot a bolt action VERY quickly by using my left to pull the trigger and use my right just to work the bolt. Offhand this isn't very accurate past 50 yards or so as my left arm and hand are both supporting the gun and pulling the trigger, but with a rest I can fire accurately as fast as I can acquire the target after recoil. If I were to do a speed run and just dump rounds down range without aiming much, I could probably get off 1-2 shots per second pretty easy, depending on the gun (the shorter the action, the quicker the shots). I've been told that it sounds like I'm shooting a semi-auto when I do it.

Firing regularly and using my right hand to both cycle the bolt and support the gun is a bit slower, because I have to do a bit more work to reacquire the target every time I do it and my hand has to travel further. With practice, though, I'm not terribly slower than the average right-handed person.

Last edited by Regolith; November 20, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old November 21, 2012, 09:40 AM   #31
Creek Henry

You guys do realize that you can train yourself to use your weak eye just as well as your dominant eye right? You can train yourself to write off handed, throw off handed, fight sowpaw, etc so you can do it with your eyes.

I've done it. In fact, since eye dominance is more mental than writing is, it is easy to do, but it does take a lot of practice. Fortuneately, you can practice it anywhere, anytime almost all of the time.