The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 9, 2000, 12:22 AM   #1
tatters

Finally got the little critter I have been watching for about a week.
He lived accross the road from the beanfield he and his buddies tore to pieces. It had to be replanted in a couple of spots.
I watched him pop up and get spooked at least a dozen times by cars and bike riders and such. Finally, today, he decided to venture to my side of the road where I was waiting about 100 yds away. I got a steady rest at the end of a concrete pig pen and put a .22 mag into him from his front. He flopped a couple of times, and I ran and finished him with a few .22lr from my now AccuDot sighted S&W 22a. He hangs on the fence now, for the scavengers to take care of. I saw him with another of his kind the other day, but they just stuck to the neighbor's side of the road. I'll get him,too.

My friend has a bad groundhog problem, and I got a shot off at one standing atop a round bale in the barnyard. Not sure if I hit him, but I saw a couple of them run into those bales.

These devils are easily spooked, and they come out at about 11:am to 1 m.
They give me a very small window of opportunity.
What makes it easier,is they are used to the noise around these pig pens and buildings, and they usually come out to look around several times.
I am obsessed now, and I have in the car my Mossburg 500 12 ga and some #6 shot, my S&W 22a, and my Marlin 25mn .22 mag. I am going back out tomorrow, and watch those bales.

------------------
And if you hear from my Louise, won't you tell her I love her so?
Old July 9, 2000, 10:08 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Keep up the good work! Sounds like your neighbor is gonna owe you a steak dinner!

, Art
Old July 10, 2000, 10:44 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're missing something here. Chucks are delicious!! And, since they are grass and grain eaters, the meat is clean and non contaminated.

Young ones fry up like rabbit, older ones respond to browning,and then slow cooking in Tomato sauce and go great on pasta.
Or...

Dress and quarter the chuck, removing all visible fat. Wet the surfaces, then dredge in seasoned flour, and brown slightly in butter with a little olive oil to keep the butter from burning. Add a julienned carrot or two, some diced onion, and sliced 'shrooms. As these brown a little, add a bay leaf, enough beef stock or consomme to cover, some crushed garlic cloves to taste,and let simmer until the meat can be pulled off the bones. Do so and return the meat(diced) to the pan. Add a little of your favorite red wine and make some dumplings(The Bisquick stuff works well for the gastronomically challenged). When ready to serve, stir in some sour cream. salt and pepper to taste....
Old July 10, 2000, 01:27 PM   #4
Jaeger

Don't forget to remove the glands in the front "armpits". Older 'chucks respond well to soaking in milk for a day or 2. Fine dining!
Old July 10, 2000, 10:09 PM   #5
tatters

Thanks for the tips,guys! My father in law tells me they are pretty good,too. A little greasy, but not too bad. I may try it sometime, but they remind me so much of rats, I don't find them too appetizing!

BTW I got another one tonight with the Marlin 25mn .22 mag, he just stuck his head out of a hole on the same property where they have the beans mowed off. About 50 yds or so. Got him in the neck,I think, and once again, just in case, I put some .22lr in him. Even if they are varmints,I hate to see them suffer.
I gotta tell you, this Marlin will do all I ask if I do my part. Apparently I have been so far, and now the count is 6-0 our favor. The guy I got tonight,I believe, is one I shot at once before. Same hole anyway.
These are confirmed and I have one I couldn't have hardly missed, but no body for proof.
I am finding out, there is no substitute for patience, and I am a relatively new hunter.
At 40, I am like a 12 year old on his first hunt, and I am excited every time I get a bead on one of these critters.
Does that make me a bloodthirsty fiend?

------------------
Old July 11, 2000, 11:23 AM   #6
KilgorII

Only if you desire to drink their blood.

Old July 13, 2000, 10:05 AM   #7
Richardson

I'm hoping to get into g'hog hunting, but I'm having trouble finding public land to hunt on (Northern Illinois). Lately I've heard that their holes can be problematic for farmers, but this bean threat is news to me. Do you think most bean farmers would welcome a g'hog hunter? Any other types of crops to consider as prime g'hog territory?

Thanks,
Richardson
Old July 13, 2000, 06:17 PM   #8
Eric of IN

Richardson,
Ask around at the local road-side vegetable stands. They normaly get their veggies from "truck farms", who frequently have problems with g'hogs.
Eric

------------------
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
Old July 14, 2000, 12:14 PM   #9
tatters

The bean farmers around here welcome a hog hunter with open arms! Where there are ditch banks and fence rows, there are probably 'hogs. If you have any connections to farmers at all, put some feelers out. I work with farmers and they connect me with other farmers. Kinda like the popular word "networking" lol.

Eric's idea is a great one,too. I never thought of that! We have such roadside stands around here,too.

------------------
Old July 14, 2000, 09:21 PM   #10
tatters

Well, my latest furry victim is now just a spine and some fur.
The coyotes and buzzards are plentiful around the property I hunt, and kill # 6 is being used to perpetuate the food chain concept.
Glad he was not wasted. I had no doubt he would be used.

------------------