The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 29, 2012, 04:08 PM   #1
viciouskitty

questions on my garand's barrel?

Well I have had my new to me garand for about 3 months now and have shot around 150 rounds out of it so far with pretty good accuracy so far for me that is and since I'm trying out new handloads for it. But the other night i noticed that looking down my barrel from the muzzle end while cleaning if I shine a light down it for as long as I can actually see the lands I notice orange streaks smeared on all of the lands. I'm guessing its copper fowling, so I use my copper cleaner and scrub a lot liking to have my guns clean. I've done this several times and have noticed no change in the orange smears.

So I'm wondering what is going on, do I have really crappy copper remover its Mpro7 brand or have I just not scrubbed hard enough. Or is it not even copper fouling any ideas? I'm debating whether to leave it alone since my accuracy is still acceptable but that just sort of bothers me at the same time. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks guys.
Old October 29, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You don't need to scrub, about 10 passes with a brush and solvent is enough.

You need to let a copper solvent have time to work.
After brushing run two soaked patches down the bore and let soak for the recommended time on the bottle label, about 30 minutes.
Some solvents, like Sweet's 7.62 can be soaked no more than about 30 minutes, some like Hoppe's #9 can be left in for months.

After soaking wet a clean patch with solvent and run it down the bore and out the end in one smooth pass. Don't "pump" the patch up and down.
When the patch comes out, inspect it for green or blue copper stains.
If you see any, soak longer.

Another method for a badly fouled bore is to buy a jar of JB Bore Paste and use it to clean the bore.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

Ammonia will work if you let it sit in there for at least 30 minutes. Most copper eliminators use ammonia with other ingredients. Wait 30 minutes. Pass another wet patch. If it comes out blue soak some on a brush. Pass it through a few times. Follow with a couple of clean wet patches. Let it soak for a few minutes then repeat. If all else fails then some J&B Bore Bright, or Bore Paste will be needed. Just remember if using them, a little does a whole lot.
Old October 30, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

You will probably do more damage to the barrel by scrubbing it than you ever would by just leaving that thin copper wash alone. Not to mention that unless you use a muzzle protector, the cleaning rod or snake will wear the lands at the muzzle and affect accuracy.

Jim
Old October 30, 2012, 08:58 PM   #5
tahunua001

these rifles were shot a great deal during WWII and I can guarantee you that the average GI did not have to remove copper fouling from the barrel to keep it shooting . I would recommend shooting it and not worrying about it unless accuracy starts to slip.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:06 PM   #6
viciouskitty

Well I tried letting it sit a while and did it several times, I think it may have lessened just the slightest bit. So for now I'm gonna leave it as is unless it starts to hurt my accuracy. I am using a one piece rod with muzzle protector as well so it should not harm my barrel or crown.
Old October 31, 2012, 07:27 AM   #7
jhenry

Know what accuracy the rifle is capable of and when that starts to go south then get after the copper. It is really a non issue till then. I like Sweet's7.62 for the purpose. It works very well.