The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 3, 2001, 10:22 AM   #1
Ironbarr

MAYOR QUIZ: Should Albuquerque ban the carrying of concealed handguns?

Mayoral Candidate Q&A for ABQJournal.com

http://www.abqjournal.com/mayor/forum09-03-01.htm

Lots of candidates.

View the mind-set - pro to anti and middle-roaders.

Old September 3, 2001, 10:27 AM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Martin Chavez and Mike McEntee seem to have their act together. The others are fools. If I lived in ABQ, I'd probably choose McEntee, as he actually quotes Lott.
Old September 3, 2001, 07:36 PM   #3
Duke

Hi, Guys

I love listening to Mayor Baca as he is such a dip. He needs to understand that city law connot override state law. Also as New Mexico is an open carry state, I would carry openly and there would be nothing Mayor Baca could do about it.
Old September 3, 2001, 09:50 PM   #4
EnochGale

I thought the new law allowed cities to do such. It was a bad provision if it was in the law. I would have passed on the law with that in it.
Old September 3, 2001, 10:55 PM   #5
Vladimir_Berkov

Baca is a fool. ABQ has some serious liberal problems, but also lots of gunowners who want concealed carry.
Old September 3, 2001, 10:57 PM   #6
jimpeel

Duke

Whether the city can do this or not depends on whether the city is a "home rule" city or if this particular state has a state preemption law.

Like you said, though, you can still carry openly regardless of their desires. The problem with open carry is that if some punk wants to upgrade his Lorcin 9mm POS to a shiny new Glock, he knows where and how to get one; and he is not going to be carrying his openly. That's what concealed carry is all about, getting the drop on the other guy who thinks you are an unarmed (disarmed) sheeple.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey