The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 13, 2012, 11:43 PM   #26
Edward429451

Quote:
I see Dillon people getting bad or broken parts replaced every day and talking about how great Dillon CS is. Then people that get a bad Lee part don't give them a chance to make it right and tell everybody not to use them.
from what I can tell, with Dillon, it's the exception to the rule, and with Lee it's pretty much the rule.
Old December 13, 2012, 11:53 PM   #27
tkglazie

Quote:
from what I can tell, with Dillon, it's the exception to the rule, and with Lee it's pretty much the rule.
I dont doubt what you have seen. In my experience with Lee products, which includes an LCT, a single stage press, 4-die carbide sets in .380, 9mm. ,38 and .357, a 2 die set in .32 Special, a Pro Auto Disk Measure, a Safety Prime, a Safety Scale, Lee prep, trim and measurement tools, lube, and load manual, every piece has performed flawlessly.

Oh wait, except for my .45ACP FCD, which is half a thousandth too tight. Does that make poor quality a rule, or an exception?
Old December 14, 2012, 12:36 PM   #28
Edward429451

No, that would be good luck, or a testament to your mechanical aptitude!
Old December 14, 2012, 01:51 PM   #29
wncchester

The anti-FCD argument for handguns will go on forever and the hyperventalation that starts every time it's mentioned would be funny if not so badly off base. I use that die for what it's good for and I'm not silly enough to say my experience or needs should dictate what others should do. It IS silly to either condemn the FCD out of hand or say it's the end-all solution to crimpers. It's a tool, same as any other tool; use it where it's helpful and don't use it when it's not helpful. And cast bullets, of themselves, is not the relivant issue. Any bullet that's way oversize AND loaded in a thick wall case will almost certainly get reduced in a FCD. It's up to the loader to decide if his highest priority is fine accuracy at the risk of difficult chambering or total reliability at the possible expense of some loss of accuracy.

The FCD was given a 'post sizing' ring near the mouth to make sure all ammo run through it will chamber and fire everytime. If the reloader installs significantly over size bullets, cast or jacketed, in an occasional thick case, the cartridge will, or may, jam and that could get someone killed so squeezing the too-large cartridge down to make sure it will chamber would seem to have some rational value to anyone. Those people who have tight chambers will see the benefit more often than those with sloppy chambers; that shouldn't be too difficult for anyone to accept.

For some reason that eludes me the current cast bullet craze is to use bullets some 2-3 (or more) thousanths oversized. But, there is absolutely no value to using big fat bullets and normal diameter bullets in normal cases won't be touched by the post sizing ring.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:12 PM   #30
Slamfire

I am another person who does not recommend Lee FCD's for pistols.

I have seen the swaging of cast pistol bullets.

I think that is bad.

If my rounds chamber in my gun without the need for Lee FCD's, and to date they do, I don't see a need for the die. My pistols shoot fine.
Old December 14, 2012, 04:25 PM   #31
ShootingNut

slamfire,
Do you seat your lead bullet without any flare on the casing mouth?
Or are you reloading with a jacketed bullet? Just curious, not argueing your comment.