The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 28, 2012, 02:04 PM   #51
Wyoredman

Good work, Inspector Cluseau!
Old September 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #52
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

And photos from the presentation ceremony, sent as PDF so I have no way of showing them as inline photos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Presentation.pdf (101.7 KB, 56 views)
Old September 28, 2012, 02:48 PM   #53
youngunz4life

thank you
Old September 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #54
hr2lrn

"Makes me wonder where the M-16 Kennedy is examining is at now.

Looks like an SP1 to my old eyes.
Old September 28, 2012, 04:16 PM   #55
aarondhgraham

pictures,,,

Here you go,,,

Aarond

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SpencerKennedy.jpg (100.2 KB, 209 views)
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 28, 2012, 04:20 PM   #56
PT-92

Thanks a bunch Brian (and All) as not only was the OP answered but a ton more (completely unexpected) was learned and much appreciated !

-Cheers
Old September 28, 2012, 04:34 PM   #57
Pilot

Can you imagine Obama getting a gun?
Old September 28, 2012, 05:30 PM   #58
PT-92

Quote:
Pilot

Can you imagine Obama getting a gun?...
OK, I'll bite--No (I realize it's rhetorical ). The current POTUS even refused Colt's traditional offering of a pair of customized 1911's (not that it should come as a surprise to anyone--I'm just sayin'). Absent opining and being solely empirical here, it's obvious that the JFK-like Democrat (relative in this thread to the Second Amendment only) are rare indeed compared to his generation and, perhaps, not to be seen again in terms of their Presidential nominee.

Conversely, I do not believe his potential/possible successor will do likewise but happily accept the Colt's...Hopefully (just my opinion) we get the opportunity to see Colt resume it's tradition (he says with toes and fingers both crossed ).

***Correction***: Actually it appears as though from what I can tell in this link that President Clinton was the only POTUS on record to officially decline Colt's traditional offering--It does not state for the record either way pertaining to President Obama. I am interested in determining this and will see what I can officially find and update accordingly.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...eturn-to-colt/

Last edited by PT-92; September 29, 2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Correction
Old September 28, 2012, 05:33 PM   #59
Pilot

Used in the Bay of Pigs, only dropped once! lol!
Old September 28, 2012, 07:34 PM   #60
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lets skip the political commentary, everyone.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 28, 2012, 08:22 PM   #61
PT-92

Will do Mike. Perhaps I should address this via PM, but I would like to make it public at least initially as it seem to be a frequent matter of confusion and controversy.

Question: Politics (discussed in an intellectual matter) are paramount IMO to the very survival of this board itself. This being a General Discussion Forum would seem to suggest that such discussion would be permissible (again, within the parameters of proper decorum). I just don't understand how something so absolute and irrefutably related to our industry can be brushed under the rug so to speak as though it's to be hidden (taboo like in its very nature)? It's analogous to me like discussing teenage pregnancy absent including within that very same conversation the variable/factor of birth control, abstinence etc....?

Please understand that I ask such in Respect to the Mods as well as all members of the forum at large.

*Note: Yes I did read the Forum rules/guidlines but did not see an statement/explanation to this particular (and apparent) offense.

Thanks,
Mark
Old September 28, 2012, 08:31 PM   #62
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Mike or another staffer may wish to address your question in more detail, but I will simply point you to the now locked Legal and Political forum.

You may have to change the thread view options (left center) to "from the beginning".

Spend some time reading the threads in that forum.

That forum is what happens to political discussion.
Old September 28, 2012, 09:59 PM   #63
Redhawk5.5+P+

Look at the ship and the picture above it. OP picture is surrounded by windows. The presentation photo has an in the wall book shelf on one side of the ship and picture. Things were rearranged for the rifle?

I also still think that's a thermostat below the rifle.
Old September 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #64
PT-92

What timing--The movie "Unforgiven" was on this afternoon and largely features as many of you know the Spencer Carbine:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Unforgiven...e_Ring_Carbine
Old October 1, 2012, 04:31 AM   #65
youngunz4life

Quote:
What timing--The movie "Unforgiven" was on this afternoon and largely features as many of you know the Spencer Carbine:

"Deserves got nuthin' to do with it." -William Munny(Clint Eastwood) speaking to 'Lil Bill(Gene Hackman) right before he blows his head off

"Well he better arm himself if he's gonna' decorate his saloon with my friend." -Willimam Munny(Clint Eastwood) explaining to 'Lil Bill(Gene Hackman) why he just shot the saloon keeper
Old October 1, 2012, 04:38 AM   #66
youngunz4life

I love how the movie begins and ends with the same twist and/or connection regarding Clint's wife and life. That movie deserved all of the oscars(4 total at least) that it won. Clint Eastwood starred in it, wrote it, directed it, and produced it.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:18 AM   #67
Mike Irwin
Staff

This isn't a movie review thread, it's about a rifle.

Let's keep the discussion on topic, please.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 1, 2012, 04:12 PM   #68
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
Supposedly when it was built my high school in Pennsylvania had a rifle range in the basement, but I never bothered to confim it when I was there.
Well there certainly was one in mine. I used it several times in a shooting club.

Cool info on the JFK/Spencer
Old October 1, 2012, 04:31 PM   #69
aarondhgraham

What ammo did the Spencer use?

Was it centerfire or rimfire?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 1, 2012, 04:59 PM   #70
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondhgraham

Was it centerfire or rimfire?

Aarond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.56-56_Spencer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_repeating_rifle

Rimfire
Old October 2, 2012, 03:41 AM   #71
HiBC

Cimarron is selling replica Spencers.Good pix.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Rep...es/Spencer.htm

Decent educational link on the Spencer

http://www.aotc.net/Spencer.htm

Last edited by HiBC; October 2, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:31 AM   #72
WARRIOR I

Dfariswheel, I remember that article. I've always wondered what became of that M-1, or if the restoration was even completed before the assassination. That rifle was not something anyone in THAT family would have valued.
Old October 8, 2012, 08:04 PM   #73
Rembrandt

It showed up at auction back in 2007 at Rock Island Auction.....expected to bring 50-100K, don't recall what the closing bid was.

Description: This is probably the Most Historically Significant U.S. Springfield M1 Garand rifle that has ever been for sale. This is rifle is the actual Springfield Armory M1 Garand rifle that was originally issued by the Director of Marksmanship to then Senator John F. Kennedy, in October 1959 and obviously everyone knows that he became the 35th President of the United States. Since this rifle was issued to Senator Kennedy in 1959, well before he was elected to the Office of the President of the United States, this rifle could very well have accompanied him directly into the White House. During this time period, the DCM was issuing rifles based on a lottery system with only a few hundred or maybe a thousand rifles sold yearly. Usually you had to wait years for one and what ever was chosen for you that was the one you received. In an article in the American Rifleman Magazine, that was written up on this rifle, MSG (Master Sergeant) Parkinson (who performed the actual work on this weapon) alluded to this rifle as being a basic rack grade M1. However, and to no ones surprise, upon closer examination of this rifle it is actually a very early 6 Million serial number range, type 1 NM M1Garand. The rear of the receiver is marked "U.S. RIFLE /CAL 30. M1 / SPRINGFIELD / ARMORY" over the serial number and the barrel is correctly marked as follows; "SA F6535448 3 56 A2263" with the correct "P" and "M" proof marks with a partial DOD acceptance proof. The front left side of the exposed section of the barrel is correctly stamped with the "NM" and Star proof indicating that the barrel was star gauged. The right side of the barrel behind the operating rod is has also been correctly stamped with the "T" proof indicating it was targeted. The stock and hand guard set are all correctly walnut with a DOD and circled P proof cartouches. The front hand guard has been unitized and the stock has also been glass bedded. It is fitted with a complete NM rear sight set and we assume that the operating rod is also a early NM version, that is probably marked SA 6528287-SA (without the NM markings on top of the cocking handle). The top of the bolt is also marked 6528287-SA over YO1, which would also lend credence that this was a new type 1 NM rifle. All the metal surfaces of the rifle have been hand polished and nicely blued by MSG Parkinson and the stock and handguard have also been hand sanded, and boned out with a high luster sealer applied. Typical of Presentation rifles issued during this time frame. This rifle is fully documented with a copy of the original DD1348 noting that it was shipped to Senator Kennedy in Oct 1959; a copy of a Memorandum of Record that was provided to Senator Kennedy by the Dept of the Army detailing the additional upgraded work that was performed on the rifle; a copy of a Letter of Appreciation (signed by Senator Kennedy) that was sent to MSG Raymond Parkinson, thanking him for the additional time and care that he took in accurazing and test firing this rifle, along with the actual 200 yard test target shot by MSG Parkinson, (ten shots at 200 yards, approximately 2 inch OAL). Also accompanying this rifle is a letter from the NRA Museum dated Sept 1970, indicating their desire to obtain and put on a permanent display this very rifle (by serial number), along with a hand receipt dated Oct 1970 taking title to this rifle. This rifle was briefly written up in the May 1967 issue of the "American Rifleman" which also depicts the letter of appreciation noted above. It is complete with an original Boyt 44 marked leather sling, the 1959 NM handbook, and the original wooden shipping/storage box that was hand built by MSG Parkinson.

Condition: Excellent overall with 99% of the original hand polished and blued finish still remaining with just some minor wear on the right side receiver rail, from the limited test firing it has seen. The stock and handguard set are all in mint condition with 99% of the original hand rubbed finish/sealer with no handling marks or dings, with just visible cartouches. The sling is also in excellent condition with sharp markings, intact stitching with some minor age cracking, but still very pliable after 63years. The wooden box is in very good condition, obviously used to ship the rifle in. What a super historical, "One of a Kind" rifle that transcends collector interest on both the US Military and the US Historical Side. The historical significance of this rifle can only be matched by the importance of the position that President John F. Kennedy played throughout his life and in the position of the President of the United States, as well as in our own hearts and minds. Certainly everyone of our generation remembers his service during WWII as well as his public service as a US Senator and President of the United States. No one will ever forget where they were at on that fateful day in November 1963. This is your chance to actually own and hold a personal possession of Senator, then U.S. President John F Kennedy, and is certainly only for the super advanced collector who is looking for the Ultimate in Historical US Military rifles.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:25 PM   #74
4V50 Gary
Staff

Good detective work!

Amazing that back in the late '60s the Army still had Spencers around. I bet they didn't have any bullets for JFK.
Old October 9, 2012, 09:07 PM   #75
Mac Attack

Interesting thread and great detective work to track down the rifle.