The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 25, 2009, 10:51 PM   #1
oncall

Loading 115gr FMJ

Can use Clays to load 115g FMJ's

I'm just getting my feet wet loading.

Hodgdon lists some 115gr bullets but not FMJ's.

I know I'm getting the reloading book tomorrow!
Old March 25, 2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Teuthis

As you indicated, look it up in a manual. If you can get several manuals that is better. I like Bullseye or Unique for 9mm caliber. I experimented widely for some years and then settled on what I liked best. But that is just a personal choice. New powders have been developed and they are in new manuals. Study them and find a good starting point. Good Luck!
Old March 25, 2009, 11:33 PM   #3
D. Manley

Quote:
Loading 115gr FMJ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can use Clays to load 115g FMJ's

I'm just getting my feet wet loading.

Hodgdon lists some 115gr bullets but not FMJ's.

I know I'm getting the reloading book tomorrow!
To answer the question, yes you can. That said, I doubt you find the results satisfactory. I love Clays...and, I shoot a lot of 115's in 9MM. I was never able to get Clays to do better than "pattern" (could'nt call it a group) at 25 yards. In other calibers or, even with heavier 9MM bullets it may be fine but for me, it just don't cut it with 115's...YMMV.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:13 AM   #4
SL1

because you are just getting into reloading, I suggest that you start with some other powder besides Clays. It is very fast, and takes very small charges, with serious over-pressure resulting from small cahrge errors. So, you really need to rely on good reloading practices to be sure that you don't make any errors loading with this powder, ESPECIALLY avoiding double-charges. I suggest that you develop your reloading habits with a more forgiving powder.

SL1