The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
McClintock

Anyone use H380 for .223 loads?

Hi, all.

Had a brain fart the other day and accidentally bought a pound of H380 instead of H335 when shopping for .223 reloading supplies. I must have been thinking about reloading the 22-250 (at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it ). Just wondering if anyone uses H380 in their .223 loads. I'm guessing it isn't a popular choice for .223 because I can't seem to find much published load data for it, but I thought I'd ask before I take it back.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old March 23, 2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You can run it with heavy bullets, like the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing and heavier. It takes all that bullet weight just to let a full case (not compressed) reach normal pressure for the cartridge. I would use magnum primers with it to help the ignition. It is too slow to do a good job with the more common 50-55 grains bullets. With the light bullets you'll get a lot of unburned powder, lots of muzzle flash, peak pressures not much above 40,000 psi in a full case, and possible secondary pressure spikes near the muzzle.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 23, 2009, 12:08 PM   #3
McClintock

Thanks!

Thanks, UncleNick, much appreciated.

Sounds to me like it's more trouble than its worth. I think I'll just take it back and exchange it for some H335 or Varget.

Thanks again! As usual, TFL comes through for me once again!

Cheers!
McClintock
Old March 23, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
Inspector3711

Mine likes H322
Old March 24, 2009, 04:41 PM   #5
McClintock

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll definitely re-examine my choice of powders before I take the H380 back.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old March 24, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
crowbeaner

If you load for a 22-250, 243, 257, 308, or 30/06 you'll want to hang on to that H380. Just be advised that the newest data published by Hodgdon is about 4 grains hotter than the loads I've used for years. I don't know if H380 has been detuned, lawyerproofed, or the new data is made by the same techs that test IMR powders, but H380 is good stuff in just about everything BUT a 223. Get a Hodgdon #25 or #26 manual and go by that data.