The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1
GoGators

Lead bullet differences

I have a favorite .40 S&W load with my Lee 175 gr tumble lube bullet that I have used for 15 years. I have not had time to cast in a while and have used up all my stash so I bought some 175 gr SWC Bullseye bullets. Well they shot so bad, the ones that hit the paper were key holing! I chronoed them and they were very close to my favorites. I loaded another batch and they were about as bad. I chronoed them, still in the ballpark. I then loaded the Bullseye bullets with three different powders and they shot ok not quite there though. Is this typical of changing a bullet? Do you have to start all over again on load development? I don't have a hardness gauge. I have cast my bullets out of different lead and it never caused a problem like this. I have gone though many cans of powder without a problem like this. Any thoughts?
Old March 24, 2009, 11:39 AM   #2
AlaskaMike

I can't believe any powder change would account for that. It sounds like the new bullets aren't gripping the rifling. You may want to check their diameter.

Mike
Old March 24, 2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Shoney

Do different powders effect accuracy?

About 8 years ago I tested my 40S&W with 180gr Lead bullets from NBC, OT and Zero, using the following powders by brand:

Accurate: AA5; AA7
Alliant: Red Dot, Unique, Power Pistol
Hodgdon: HS-6; Universal
IMR: 700X, 800X, SR4756
VihtaVuori: N348; 3N37
Winchester: 231, WSF

When considering the smallest groups of each powder with each bullet, there was a wide variety of group sizes and variations in where they hit relative to point of aim.

So, YES, powders can make a big difference!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 24, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
GoGators

Shoney, Did you try the same powder charge with each brand of bullet? I really don't want to work up a new load, just use a different bullet.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to work up new loads but with the limited amount of shooting I get to do these days it could take a year to get something good.
Old March 24, 2009, 07:33 PM   #5
P5 Guy

Bullseye Bullets

I heard at the last Lakeland Gun Show that they sold out and went out of the casting business.
I used their 44 and 38 caliber bullets and had good luck with them.
What size are the ones you are using? How is the lube? Any missing?
Old March 24, 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
GoGators

They measure .401" and I didn't see any missing lube. They appear to be tarnishing in places. I bought these last year but only started load them recently.

P5 Guy, is there a source for plated bullets in FL?