The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 17, 2014, 11:44 PM   #26
walks with gun

As fast as a bear can move and that lighting is usually dismal, I could see the Glock 10mm as a real possibility with full power loads. More ammo could mean more hits. As much as I love my sixguns, auto's and mags are easier to carry.
Old December 18, 2014, 12:04 PM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
Buck,

If you are 20 yards off and your WIFE is being mauled, is that bear spray gonna stop him?

If the bear is already in your tent? Chasing other people?

Yes there is value in bear spray, but it is not a cure all.

One would be wise in bear country to have a powerful firearm and yes, bear spray.

Deaf

Well Deaf, you can blast away from 20 yards with a big bore handgun at a bear huggin' your wife, but not me. I shoot a lot of handgun, but still would refrain and use the spray first a close range. While it might sting her eyes, at least I wouldn't be responsible for adding another hole in her. Same goes for chasing other people. Real life is not a Dirty Harry movie or T.V. cop shows and the average internet forum member that needs to ask "which gun for bear" cannot shoot well enough to safely "snipe" a bear that is kissing distance from another person. You could be the exception, maybe.

Beside the chances of hitting the person being mauled, because of the position of the bear when mauling someone else, odds are you are not going to kill the bear instantly, but only enrage them, even with a killing shot to the vitals. Hitting the CNS on a rapidly moving large animal with a handgun while under duress is not an easy task for most folks either. This is true also if the animal is wrestling with someone else next to you in a tent.... in the dark. Again, you may be the exception.

Most bear sprays work out to 10 yards, and in most cases the spray does stop them, far more efficiently than handgun calibers in the hands of the average Joe. While a handgun is a good idea, in Black Bear country, odds are if you become prey, it will be from a two legged predator. BTW...bear spray works well on them also.
Old December 18, 2014, 12:55 PM   #28
salvadore

I use to drag a trailer up to Mack's Inn west of YNP and had many griz visits. Had one walk past my campfire chumfing the whole time. I once came across a pile of poop on a trail in western Montana I had walked an hour earlier minus the poop pile and if griz poop kind of resembles people poop except bigger, and more then whatever broke and crashed thru the bushes going up a hill may have been a griz. I thought it was and went down the trail doing 360s shooter unholstered down the trail until I got to another lake that had some people.

Buck's probably right about bear spray, I bought a can and did as the manufacturer suggested and took it out in the back yard to test and see how it sprayed, anyway the area I was in was a choke fest for half the day, the can is still in a closet never carried.
Old December 18, 2014, 06:52 PM   #29
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Well Deaf, you can blast away from 20 yards with a big bore handgun at a bear huggin' your wife, but not me.
Well Buck, note that when I posted about bear guns in this thread above I mentioned 12 Gauge Mossie shotgun and Brenneke Black Magic Short Magnum one-ounce, 2 3/4″ shotgun slugs.

To me that is the way to go if bears are a real concern.

4 shot Mossie does not weigh all that much and add a 4 shot tac-star side saddle (my Mariner Mossberg has that very setup) is far more comforting.. and capable.

Sure I'll pack my 629-1, but I know handguns have limited ability and a 12 gauge is much better.

MUCH better.

Deaf
Old December 18, 2014, 09:39 PM   #30
Super Sneaky Steve

SP101 works great for Black Bears. Anything larger and the .45 Colt takes over. Hot Ruger loads.
Old December 18, 2014, 10:54 PM   #31
BIG P

454 heavy why take chances.:d
Old December 19, 2014, 02:19 AM   #32
DaleA

Quote:
If you are 20 yards off and your WIFE is being mauled, is that bear spray gonna stop him?
Well we all know the answer to this situation because it actually happened and I posted the information here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=bear

Except it wasn't the WIFE being mauled it was the HUSBAND. And the answer was the trusty 12 gauge shotgun. Except she didn't shoot it she waded in and clubbed the bear Louisville Slugger style till the bear let her husband go.

Personally I like the information about 'guns for bears' at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGHKkAvBWUE
Old December 19, 2014, 02:59 AM   #33
codefour

DaleA, That youtube clip was entertaining.
Old December 20, 2014, 03:26 AM   #34
skidder

Quote:
Studies and experience show that this is the best caliber one can carry for bear defense. Problem is, it's not the answer most folks want to hear.
I've sat in the break rooms at the lumber mill for 10 years and worked as a sawyer in the woods for my dad for several years. Don't believe all the stuff you read in the newspapers/magazines. I can't count all the close calls I know of that were prevented by rifles and handguns (only the blood and guts make the papers).

And try firing that pepper spray into a breeze and see how accurate the magazine propaganda is. I TESTED that stuff while hiking in Grizzly country because of all the hype from the magazines and National Parks. Well, that was the last time I ever packed my can UDAP spray. I was defenseless when that "slight breeze" pushed that crap back into my face!!! Now.... if the nice little Teddy is polite and agrees to stand down wind, I might trust a can of pepper seasoning over my 454.

You would be surprised how a warning shot of their bow will scare them off before they even get in range of a can of pepper spray.
Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder

Last edited by skidder; December 20, 2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old December 20, 2014, 03:07 PM   #35
badge851

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverratt
My grandpa and I were talking about the migration of black bear back into ky today and that conversation went to what handgun we would carry wile hiking or bow hunting in grizzly country. Then we were discussing what is the most common pistol carried by those that live there, so i figured I'd ask y'all. Those of you that live in grizz county what gun/caliber do you carry wile your in the woods?
I live in "Bear Country", both Black and Grizzly. I carry a 4" Taurus® TRACKER™ Mdl 425SS4 in 41 Remington® Magnum loaded with Federal® Premium® Vital-Shok™ 250gr CastCore (#P41B) ammunition.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Last edited by badge851; December 22, 2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old December 21, 2014, 12:27 AM   #36
Andy Blozinski

This subject comes up a lot. There are always multiple suggestions that you really should be packing a rifle or shotgun. While that might be true, it's also not a good suggestion for many. The reason the question is asked is because the person doesn't want to carry such a weapon and is trying to get advice on the best option for a pistol.

Here is what I've garnered from reading the threads for the past year or so.
Apparently the .454 Casull is the best choice. No one seems to question it has the best chance to get a positive result.
.44 Magnum is the most common choice.
.357 Magnum is considered a borderline choice, but gets mentioned.
Heavy non-hollow point bullets are suggested as the preferable ammo for penetration.

On a different note: Self defense sprays do have a well recognized problem with wind. Gels lessen this problem. If the bear spray is not a gel, it could end up being a hazard to yourself. 10 yards maximum range makes it a last ditch defense in my personal opinion. I would prefer the option of an easily portable pistol that gives the option to possibly prevent something at longer range if given the opportunity to do so. A bear spray gel would probably be a good option for a back-up weapon. If you've plowed a few rounds into the bear and THEN hit him with pepper gel, he'll likely be amazingly screwed up.
Old December 21, 2014, 08:50 AM   #37
Brutus

I've carried a variety of handguns while grouse hunting and finally settled on a Smith .45 Colt mountain gun. I carry it with a cast performance 265gr. gas check bullet on top of 9.5 gr. of Unique for about 1000fps. Excellent accuracy and much less recoil and muzzle blast than a .44 magnum. We only have blackies in our neck of the woods and I've never had to actually use it, thank God. I feel this combination to be a good choice as it would allow for fast follow up shots for protecting myself and the dogs should the need ever arise.
Old December 21, 2014, 04:16 PM   #38
Buzzcook

When I have camped or hiked in "grizzly" country I've carried a Ruger Mk II.

Loads of fun and perfect for squirrel and the occasional blue grouse.

In the lower 48 (with some exceptions) you pretty much have to actively look for bears, other wise you won't see them.
Old December 21, 2014, 06:33 PM   #39
TimSr

.454 Casull, of course!

Old December 21, 2014, 09:17 PM   #40
walks with gun

How about less violence, please hug a bear today. Oh and have someone film it so we can all watch.
Old December 21, 2014, 09:27 PM   #41
Kosh75287

Mathematics... Numbers...

Find a picture of a bear in "charging mode" and enlarge it to full size, with particular attention to the face on that picture, with particular attention to the nose on that face. Set this target at 30 yards.

I am told that a bear can lunge as fast as 40 m.p.h. (58.1 f/s) for short distances. I don't really know if 60 feet is a short distance for a bear, but I would bet that it is. This gives you 1.033 seconds to draw and fire at least one shot into the bear's nose (but let's say anywhere in the face within a 2 inch radius of the nose.

But not just ANY shot. It must be a shot powerful enough to smash through bear snout and bear skull and lodge deep enough into its brain to turn off the electricity (thus motor nerve impulses) almost instantly.

Let's say, no less than 200 grains, hard cast, at no less than 1000 f/s from the muzzle.

This means a hot .357, a warm .44 Special, a warm .45 Colt or .45 A.C.P. +P, and certainly any .41, .44, or .454 Mag load worthy of the name.

Try this exercise, 50 shots worth, with every qualified caliber to which you have access. If you can do it 45 out of 50 times, you can probably defend yourself from a bear with a pistol. If not, it's probably Mossberg (and bear spray) time.
Old December 22, 2014, 12:17 AM   #42
Andy Blozinski

You're assuming the situation goes from total woodland peacefulness with no recognized bear presence to a full speed charging bear from out of nowhere as the standard. So far this hasn't proven to be the case and isn't a reasonable standard. Pretty much nothing you suggested would work in the no win (and rare) example you presented.
Old December 22, 2014, 06:10 PM   #43
Deaf Smith

Quote:
You're assuming the situation goes from total woodland peacefulness with no recognized bear presence to a full speed charging bear from out of nowhere as the standard.
I think it just means one hopes for the best but prepares for the worst.

We HOPE we have notice of the bears intentions, but we prepare on the assumption we will have no or little warning.

Deaf
Old December 22, 2014, 11:58 PM   #44
Kosh75287

Then I'll celebrate, every time I'm found to be wrong.
Old December 24, 2014, 12:01 AM   #45
Andy Blozinski

Start celebrating:

Causes of bear attacks

Almost all recorded bear attacks in the wild have resulted from the human surprising the bear. Hunters are the people most at risk of bear attacks because, as Tom Smith, a U.S. Geographical Survey research biologist, describes, "Hunters typically aren't making any noise, and they sleuth around while wearing camo."[47] Hunters try to be silent and, though many hunters wear reflective clothing so as not to become targets for other hunters, they try to hide their movements so as not to startle game. Most bear attacks result from hunters suddenly appearing in front of them, startling a bear into an instinctive act of aggression.

However, a bear's first reaction upon detecting a human is to run away
Old December 24, 2014, 08:41 AM   #46
Deaf Smith

Quote:
However, a bear's first reaction upon detecting a human is to run away
Did they poll the bears on that? Was it a questionnaire?

And mother bears with cubs?

When confronted with wild animals there is no reliable way you can predict what they will do.

Even deer have attacked and killed humans.

Deaf
Old December 25, 2014, 12:10 PM   #47
Andy Blozinski

You guys should read up on the subject. This is only about black bears, but it's pretty interesting:

http://black-bear.org/orig_data/BART...ar-Herrero.pdf
Old December 25, 2014, 01:32 PM   #48
salvadore

Quote:
What if she's insured?
Old December 25, 2014, 04:32 PM   #49
khegglie

^^^

?? Ha!
Old December 25, 2014, 05:29 PM   #50
Deaf Smith

Quote:
What if she's insured?
I don't think insurance companies insure bears.

Deaf