The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 4, 2013, 02:04 PM   #1
MB21

So I got a response from Idaho Senator Crapo

I know he just got a DUI, but I am pleasantly surprised that I received a reply. My guess is that one of his staff wrote me, but still it expresses his views, which I like.

After watching the following video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDglpt8hpyg I sent an email to my state's congressmen by using the copy/paste email that is in the description of the video. I would suggest you all do the same.

I received a reply yesterday of the email regarding Senator Crapo's views on the gun control, and I believe that it was a solid reply and am glad I live in a red state.

Despite his recent stupidity, I respect him for this opinion even if it is the same of the Republican party.

"Dear Matt:

Thank you for contacting me to share your thoughts about the recent tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As a father and grandfather, words cannot adequately describe the profound sadness that I feel for all those affected by this senseless act of a troubled young man. On Friday, December 14, 2012, we all witnessed the unfolding scene whereby the police responded to a shooting at a Connecticut school where at least 26 lives were taken, and all far too soon. Our children are our most vulnerable members of society and it is our duty to keep them out of harm’s way.

This devastating act was a terrible tragedy that stuns the nation. As an ongoing investigation, the exact situation and motive of the shooter remain uncertain, but the devastation it has had on the community, and to citizens all across the country, does not. My sincerest and heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to all the innocent victims and their families.

In the days and weeks going forward, a number of ideas will be brought forward relating to guns and mental health. As Congress acts, it must be in full recognition that the choices we make must reflect the realities that we cannot completely legislate away risk and violence out of society. Burdening law-abiding citizens of this country with additional gun restrictions is not the answer to safeguarding the public from further attacks, and weakening Second Amendment rights is not an appropriate response to this tragic act of a lone gunman.

Let me reassure you that I do not support gun control. We must protect and preserve our constitutional right to bear arms. Our country should have a thoughtful and reasoned debate on how to address mental health issues and crime control, while still preserving our constitutional rights. The Second Amendment reads: "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I firmly believe this provision prohibits the federal government from denying law-abiding citizens this right.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please feel free to contact me in the future on this or other matters of interest to you. For more information about the issues before the U.S. Senate as well as news releases, photos, and other items of interest, please visit my Senate website, http://crapo.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mike Crapo
United States Senator"
Old January 4, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
17ghk

cool I contacted mine but I do not think I will get a response as I do not think he is in agreement with my position.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Kimio

I wish this guy was the representative of my district in AZ, unfortunately Ed Pastor is my respective rep and he does support a new AWB. Still didn't stop me from sending a letter in though which he (or rather his staff) had the courtesy of replying back.