The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 24, 2009, 08:44 AM   #1
HiStandardB

Mojo Sights On Mosin

I posted a while back that I had bought a 91/30 that shot way too high with the rear sight all the way down. I was also told that heavier ammo shoots higher and I was using Brown Bear 203gr before. I picked up some Wolf 148gr to test that theory. I found these Mojo aperture sights and was wondering if anybody else has tried them. Hopefully it fixes my problem.
Old November 24, 2009, 08:53 AM   #2
azredhawk44

I was dead on with my Mosin 91/30 and its original ladder sight, using Hungarian 180gr surplus.

I wanted an aperture sight picture so I got Mojos.

So far, it's been a mistake.

#1: Now, my preferred 180gr ammo (of which I have over 2K rounds left) shoots high with the rear sight bottomed out. I need the front post to "grow" somehow.

#2: The Mojo rear sight does not retain position well under recoil. If I have it cranked up a few clicks, by shot #2 it will have vibrated back down to the zero position.

I have yet to try it with 150gr ammo. Not sure if I'm going to bother with 150's, or if I'm going to remove the Mojo and put on a scope mount that utilizes the rear sight mount instead. My whole "purpose" of the Mosin is to shoot 180gr heavy softpoints for elk. Poor man's aught-six.

But... I'm disappointed by the Mojo's results.
Old November 24, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
MagnumWill

A good rule of thumb (in my book) is don't put mojos or the scout scope conversion on a Mosin-Nagant- There just plain isn't enough points of contact. I wanted my 91/30 to shoot better, so I did the PU Sniper conversion.