The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2002, 10:51 AM   #1
braindead0

Thinking about PiggyBack III (already read previous posts)

I'm wondering if it even makes sense, I'd like to up my ammo output, but I prefer to do the following:

1) Decap and expand
2) Tumble
3) Prime (using hand primer)
4) Charge and seat...

Would it be a pain to decap and expand on the piggyback without charging/seating.. And then come back and bypass decapping/expanding and only charge/seat?

Would I simply need two die plates, one for each step? I know this process will slow down the potential of a progressive, but I'm leary of the whole 'strip primer' thing.. I'd rather be sure the primers are perfect...
Old July 30, 2002, 12:41 PM   #2
dick w. holliday

no problemo!!!!!

i've got a piggy two and they use the same shell plates as the piggy 3 so i'm speaking from experience here......i load 38 supers and 9mm's and do pretty much what you're describing here for different reasons than yours but i'm sort of doing the same thing....i single stage size and decap mine before running them through the piggy--i could have sized them and decapped and expanded them in the piggy if i wanted to....i also do 223 the same way in that i do all the case prep before running them through for priming/charging and seating the bullet.....what you're describing will work fine with only one shell plate......the only reason you'd want to change the shell plate would be if you wanted to do another caliber....Dick
Old July 30, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
braindead0

If I were to do the de-cap/expand in one sitting and then come back and charge/seat, I guess I'd simply have to back out the sizer/expander dies so that I don't set off a primer?
Old July 30, 2002, 02:21 PM   #4
MADISON

I don't have a Piggyback but here is how I do it

I don't have a Piggyback but here is how I do it:
My Hornady Projector moves in the opposet direction from the Piggy Back.
[1]Clean the cases in a viborator. [2] Decap the primers. I have a 2nd set of dies so [3] I removed the decapping stem from the sizing die.
Doing it this way gives me more control and yes, it slows the loading down. It works!!!
MADISON
Old July 30, 2002, 02:43 PM   #5
jjmorgan64

No this would be fairly simple to do on the Piggyback, you will simply have to run them through twice, no big deal.
Simply back out the dies you don't want to use at that step, would still be much faster than the single stage.

JM
Old July 30, 2002, 03:52 PM   #6
braindead0

Would it be faster to have a seperate die plate? My concern is accidentally decapping a primed cartridge...oops.. If I got used to seperate die holders, perhaps the risk would be less so.

Just a thought..
Old July 30, 2002, 08:01 PM   #7
Bompa

I don't have a progressive of any kind but A Lyman T mag..
I size and bell in one operation,hand prime and charge and
then seat and crimp.. Not the fastest operation in the world
but not slow either...I get to check every case for powder so
I don't have to worry about none or too much..One is almost as bad as the other..
This might not work for everybody but it does for me..
Old July 30, 2002, 08:24 PM   #8
9x45

Save yourself a huge amount of time and effort and money. Just get a Dillon Square Deal for the one caliber you load. Tumble clean first, and then every time you pull the handle after inserting case and bullet, out pops a loaded round.

You will only really save by buying in bulk. Bullets in at least 20,000 count, primers at least 5,000 and 50,000 is better, and powder in at least 8 lbs.

Do a poll, see how many reloaders use Dillons above all else. It's about 99 to 1. Why? Because Dillons, like Glocks, and the Energizer Bunny, just keep running and running....
Old July 30, 2002, 08:39 PM   #9
jjmorgan64

Quote:
Would it be faster to have a seperate die plate?
Yup, if you want to do it that way, that'd be great.

For what you want the Dillon really isn't necesary thay are nice but I have reloaded over 10,000 rounds on a piggyback, and it's still going strong, it's no Dillon but by golly it works.

JM