The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
david5260

Powder Cop

I have a Lee Load Master press and am looking for a powder cop. Hornady makes one but if I'm not mistaken it's 5/8 dia. versus the 7/8 that is the basic Lee turret setup. Does anyone know of a cop that will fit the LLM?
Old October 29, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Crunchy Frog

Midway USA's description of the Powder Cop die says that it has a standard 7/8 inch diameter thread.

My recommendation is to spend another pizza and get the RCBS Lockout Die instead. Set it and forget it; no need to watch the rod. If it detects an undercharge or overcharge it will stop you cold.
Old October 30, 2013, 12:36 AM   #3
grandpawj

+1 for the RCBS lock out die, I use it for all my pistol reloads. I still recheck my charges about every dozen or so, and find that the lock out die does it's job. In the beginning I would be puzzled when my press locked up only to remember that the die was doing it's job. It will consistently catch a + or - .2 grain difference.
Old October 30, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
higgite

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpawj
It will consistently catch a + or - .2 grain difference.
I wish I knew your secret to get an RCBS lockout die to be that sensitive, grandpa. Did you modify yours or did it come from the factory that sensitive? If I set mine to lockout at 4.8 grains or more of W231, it will pass any lesser amount down to about 2.0 grains. It's good for detecting and locking out a double charge or no charge, but not much else. But, since that's all RCBS claims it's good for anyway, it does operate as advertised, so no complaints here. But mine certainly won't detect +/- .2 grains. Would be nice.
Old October 31, 2013, 06:28 AM   #5
Crashbox

Another +1 for the RCBS Lockout Die. Mine also will not catch a +/- 0.2 grain difference but it has caught powder bridging which usually results in about a half-charge for me.

Worth every penny.
Old October 31, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
F. Guffey

Lock out dies are designed for straight wall cases, powder dies are for bottle neck type cases.

To understand the lock out die is to understand the detent.

F. Guffey
Old October 31, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
GWS

Quote:
Lock out dies are designed for straight wall cases, powder dies are for bottle neck type cases.
Slightly important spec. Another thread I read somewhere in the forums last night had a guy planning to buy a Lockout for his .308. Good luck with that. I can't find the thread this morning so I can't correct him.

Lockout sensitivity depends on type of powder and how easy it compresses....and whether you allow for compression in your adjusting procedure.