The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 17, 2000, 12:05 PM   #1
Vek

I just picked up a mid-80s model 70 in 30-06. It had 11 rounds through it before I got it. Excellent condition. One thing, though. It has a monstrous front sight on it. Absolutely huge. Like, the base is 3-4 inches long and the hood sticks out well over an inch from the bore centerline. It is secured by solder, I assume, because I couldn't get it off by removing the lone screw. How can I get rid of this thing easily? Snagasaurus on brush, if I ever hunt with it. Thanks for the info.
Old November 17, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
weegee

I just bought a m70 with sights, and was told that you have to drift out the front sight from the ramp, and the second screw is there in the dovetail slot (haven't done this yet so I'm just repeating what I was told).

Mine is a recent "Classic" model but it has a humongous ramp as well--probably the same. Hope this helps, weegee.
Old November 20, 2000, 09:35 PM   #3
Vek

I'll try that tonight. Thanks.

---JV

I might also try to track down something lower. We'll see.