The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2007, 08:16 PM   #1
remie

need a powder measure

I am presently using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure & am thinking of replacing it with a Johnson Quick Measure www.quick-measure.com or a Harrell Custom Powder Measure from Sinclair International. I am presently loading Unique, Hodgdon Titigroup & Winchester 748..Any comments or advice would very much be appreciated
Old May 22, 2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Idaho

remie,

Both of those are pretty spendy powder measures. Since I don't know what you requiring as far as repeatability it hard for me to say if you really need one of those. I have two RCBS Uniflow and one Hornady powder measures all with their own RCBS Powder Baffle installed. Here is the deviation I am seeing out of all three:

Ball Powder <0.1 grains, I check every 25th dispense.
Flake Powder +/-0.1 grains , I check every 25th dispense.
Extruded Powder the best I have ever seen was +/- 0.3 grains but I check every dispense and some may be as high a +/-0.5 grains.

I have one Uniflow and the Hornady setup to run on my Hornady AP and the the second Uniflow is on a stand to support my Rock Chucker. I only use Ball or flake powder on my progressive, all extruded powder gets loaded on my single stage press and every dispense weighed and trickled to charge weight.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:46 AM   #3
tbtrout

I have good luck with the Uniflows for all my powders,ball and stick. I have also picked up a couple for $30 and under on ebay. If any parts are broken, rcbs will replace them. Most of the time 0000 steel wool on the drun cleans it up and it works real smooth if it has been sitting for a while.
Old May 23, 2007, 10:43 AM   #4
40SIG

I just checked out what it would cost me to replace mine with a Quick measure. 279.00 for one I could use with my Loadmaster. Heck I didn't pay that much for the press.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:45 PM   #5
Shoney

If you are, or wish to become a serious 1000 yrd/meter shooter, then the Harrel is the way to go. If you are the avg 300-400 yrd max shooter, then RCBS Uniflo, Hornady LNL or Lyman 55 will do.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 23, 2007, 03:00 PM   #6
277Volt

I've been using my Lyman No. 55 for nearly 20 years now and it's a first-rate, very accurate tool.
Old May 23, 2007, 04:20 PM   #7
WCW

My Lyman 55 is a reliable old friend that has served me well for over twenty years. It’s as close to spot on with ball powders as you ever have to be, and the stick powders I always dribble up anyway. I’ve pretty much left all flake powders behind except for shotshells since I have never found a ball powder that wouldn’t at least match the accuracy of flake powder loads in my pistols.
Old May 23, 2007, 06:25 PM   #8
remie

thank you

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will research getting either a Lyman 55 or RCBS Uniflo sounds like either will meet my needs
Old May 28, 2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Lifttech

BTW Sinclair International sells accessories, like bottle adapters and drop tubes for the RCBS as well. http://www.sinclairintl.com/index.html