The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 26, 2013, 08:49 AM   #76
jimbob86

Need?

Need's got nothing to do with it ...... Need is Subjective, and is a black hole that can never be filled.
Old August 26, 2013, 09:03 AM   #77
keninnavarre

How many sq ft do you need in your home? How many shoes, coats, hats, etc.?

The old saying "one needs little more than a bowl, a spoon and a robe" holds true.

We need little more than some rice and protein to live. But look at your dinner table.

Needs have very little impact on what most of us in the free world actually have.

I need very few of the things I own, and so do most others.

I dont get into the "how many do you need ?" debate often. Everyone has more than they need in this country.

I hope this post makes sense. A similar conversation between my liberal hippie mentality sister in law shut down the needs vs. wants debate quickly.
Old August 26, 2013, 02:14 PM   #78
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Everyone needs a single shot .22.
Really? Aw man, the wife's not going to like that. But a need is a need.

I have some that I don't really need. But my needs have grown to probably 7 or 8, at least.
Old August 26, 2013, 02:37 PM   #79
jimbob86

Quote:
The old saying "one needs little more than a bowl, a spoon and a robe" holds true.
Trying to make it through even one late January night in Nebraska with just a spoon, bowl, robe and nothing else would result in frostbite at the very least.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:00 PM   #80
22-rimfire

Quote:
Everyone needs a single shot .22.
I don't own one personally, but I have a number of 22 firearms with magazines.

Hunting generally increases the number of different firearms due to varying sizes of quarry. Then there are self defense and home defense issues. Never saw a hunter using a "police shotgun" in the field, but I suppose it would work.

It just occurred to me that I "need" more firearms than I do knives. Thought that was kind of an interesting observation.
Old August 26, 2013, 03:07 PM   #81
rifleguy

how many guns do I actually need?

1 handgun for home defense 1 rifle for SHTF.

I own a 9mm cz75b for home defense, and I own a .22 cal bolt action Winchester wildcat for SHTF
Old August 26, 2013, 09:31 PM   #82
Sierra280

Uhh... More. Lol.

I love the tool analogy, my buddies are always shocked by all the speciality tools I have (torx: inverted, "tamperproof": all the Allen's, flare wrenches, 4way wrenchs, manufacture specific tools, 4wd hub sockets, hub removal tools, etc,). Why do I have all these tools? Not because I really, really have to have them to get my job done. But, on rare occasion, these tools are necessary.
Old August 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #83
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
partly because I was trying to count in my head and partly because my wife was at the table and I was trying to remember the last plausible number I had admitted to
Wow, almost owed the university a new keyboard and monitor after that one.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:31 PM   #84
chriscw81

How many guns do i need?

All of them.

Next question.
Old August 28, 2013, 01:59 PM   #85
Double Impact

I only NEED one at a time, I want ALL!
Old August 28, 2013, 02:23 PM   #86
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

For purposes of what I use a gun for, which is a reasonable definition of "Need" since the actual "need" as in "can't live without" is something that most of use will never experience, I need about 2 but 4 fills the holes better.

I could survive with my carry gun and a single rifle capable of killing everything else in North America from woodchucks to Moose, which is all I'll ever likely hunt. In practice, 4 is better. Carry gun, light varmint gun, long distance varmint gun, heavy varmint, light deer gun and one for where rifles aren't allowed for deer, either a shotgun or Encore handgun.
Old August 31, 2013, 11:08 PM   #87
msokad

As many that I can fit in the safe. Once the safe is full, time to get a 2nd safe.