The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2011, 11:08 PM   #26
GWS

Quote:
GWS,
Your Forster is a little different from mine (after 20+ years of being unattached, I recently screwed it to a small base). When my daughter was a preschooler, she often came up with, "It's exactly the same, only different…"
Smart girl....well put!!

A few years ago I added to my 40-year-old reloading outfit (Rockchucker/Forster/Lee handprimer), and bought an auto-progressive Pro 2000. Do that and then try staying happy with ANY manual trimmer. What used to be a mildly inconvenient bottleneck, became a glaring and annoying trial of my patience. (us old farts are nearly out of that you know). This is a case of too many cases to load...too little time.

Yeah I could buy a Giraud, but after spending a pretty hefty sum already for a progressive, all the accessories to load 5 calibers, and a Bullet Feeder, I wanted to speed up the Trimming yet slowing down the spending. (you gotta leave a little cash for food and components you know.) Also I doubt my well used hands and wrists would stay happy very long tying to hold on to 5000 cases while the Giraud cuts them down.

So I came up with the same ole Forster.....only different! It's very fast nearly approaching Giraud speeds without having to hold on. For my needs it's perfect.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:29 PM   #27
PCJim

Possum Hollow Kwick Trimmer series with their power adapter in a variable speed drill if you need to process a large quantity of brass quickly; Wilson trimmer if you have a smaller quantity and like to take your time.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:37 PM   #28
GWS

A few minutes ago I read a post over at AR15.com that suggests that Possum Hollow Kwick Trimmers are going to start coming with 3-way cutters, starting with .223 very soon.

IMO, THAT would definitely be worth looking at, for most anyone! Good for them!
Old August 16, 2011, 08:31 AM   #29
Rifleman1776

Sinclair. Very accurate, simple to use and durable.
Designed for bench rest shooters.
Old August 16, 2011, 08:49 AM   #30
zfk55

And, of course there's the Wilson............. Convertible to electric later

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 17, 2011, 03:21 PM   #31
langenc

I would not do the Lyman. I dont know about the Lee?? Never sen one. If I coyuld sell my Lyman at a reasonable price Id do so and get a redding or Sinclair.

Bad part is I have the Lyman Universal, carbide cutter and neck cutter.