The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 14, 2009, 01:58 PM   #1
gorrillaman

Need help with my Beretta 950

I need some help with my beretta 950. I was taking the new magazine that I got for my pistol apart due to feeding problems. I thought if I cleaned it and lubed it, it might fix the problem. Well now I have a even bigger problem, when I was taking off the floorplate, I didn't have enough pressure on the spring and the floorplate catch flew off and I am unable to find it now. I have been looking for a replacement for the past couple of weeks now, with no luck. I have tried Numerich gun parts, gunbroker, midway usa, brownells, gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com, and even the berettausa website. All of which didn't have anything. Can anyone help me with this? Is it even possible to get a replacement or am I going to have to buy a brand new magazine?
Old August 14, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
greyson97

not to laugh at your misfortune, but that is pretty funny.
heres an easier solution:

keep looking for that part. It cant have dissapeared. it should still be in the roon you dissassembled it in, unless you had a window open or a cat or something

si vis pacem, para bellum
Old August 14, 2009, 02:16 PM   #3
Qwiks draw

Replacing the mag might prove easier overall with another and those places you mentioned have them.

However there is one place that might be of help for the part.
www.gun-parts.com/beretta/
Promag and Mecgar make mags for that gun as well.
Old August 14, 2009, 07:05 PM   #4
amd6547

The other option is to make that mag floorplate hard to take off...Use some needle nose pliers and give the open rear corners a squeeze when it is assembled. At least you will have a working mag while you look for a new one.
Old August 15, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Fer

Unless you have a mini bermuda triangle in your room it has to be there somewhere, keep looking!
Old August 15, 2009, 07:15 PM   #6
berettaprofessor

Unless you get lucky, it's probably easier just to find a new mag; those 950's can still be found pretty easy, in fact I just ran across a bunch in Omaha.

The first place I look is usually my pants cuffs. I'm certainly not one laughing here...I was changing butts on an AR yesterday and forgot about the little spring that flies out....looking all over, couldn't find the darned thing, about to give up when I felt something sticking me through my front left jeans pocket (watch the comments guys!)...sure enough it landed perfectly in the pocket of a fairly tight pair of jeans. Bet I couldn't have aimed and gotten it to go there.
Old August 15, 2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Superhouse 15

Found it at Numrich. Pricey, $19.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.as...SKU=894660&MC=

Have you tried calling Beretta? Sounds like a part they would ship you for free. Worth a try.
Old August 15, 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
KyJim

Superhouse -- I don't think that's the part he's looking for. If I understand him, he's looking for a part off the magazine itself.

Gorillaman -- Sooner or later we all loose a spring or something. As others have suggested, you might have to bite the bullet and get a new mag.
Old August 16, 2009, 10:40 AM   #9
hhb

Beretta 950b

I have an Italian Beretta 950b in .25acp, and was never able to get it to fire more than one round without jaming. I liked the pistol, and bought a new American version with the thumb safety. It worked well, and I ordered extra mags from Midway. I was headed to the range with the new pistol and new mags, and took the old one along. The old one actually was more accurate than the new one. The new mags did the trick.
Old August 16, 2009, 03:29 PM   #10
Superhouse 15

OOOPS. I stand corrected. Misread that.

Plan B, call Beretta.

Sorry.
Old August 16, 2009, 05:53 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

Before you order a whole new mag; I just took one of mine apart and if what you lost is the part I'm thinking about (thin metal piece, has a hole to loop on the bottom of the spring, then I once made one out of a piece of roofing gutter tin; you know, comes in a big roll and you cut it with tin shears? Works fine...I just can't remember exactly which mag it's in!

Of course, that'll only work if you have another mag that you can cut a pattern off of!
Old August 17, 2009, 03:48 PM   #12
gorrillaman

I called everywhere that you guys suggested with still no luck, so I went ahead and ordered a new one from midway. I would still like to try and salvage the old magazine and I was wondering if I soldered the bottom piece to the mag. itself or used the red locktite would work? If it would work, would the little hole at the bottom of the magazine cause any problems? (i.e. will I have to find a way to fill it in) I thought about doing what someone suggested and pinching the two back corners together using pliers, but after looking at it, I realized that there just isn't enough material to pinch together. Thanks for the help.
Old August 17, 2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Take a thin piece of metal, shape it to fit, and use a punch to dimple it outward where the plug is.

Tags
950 , beretta , magazine , pistol , spring