The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old March 22, 2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Bubbaubba

12Ga. 23/4" Black Powder Buckshot Shotgun Shells

I've been tring to find a place that i can purchase 12Ga. 23/4" Black Powder Shotgun Shells. I purchased a double barrel 12Ga. Black Powder Shotgun i wanted to go deer hunting with it this year but i can't find the shells. I found bird shot 71/2 Black Powder Shells. I wanted to try something different this year.
Thanks
Old March 23, 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Gatofeo

I think you'll have to load your own.
Lee used to make a Lee Loader for various shotgun gauges. They are often sold on Ebay at a reasonable price.
I believe Starline makes brass 12 gauge empty cases. These would be good for assembling your black powder loads as they would be totally unmistakable. There would be no chance of putting them in a modern shotgun, where the black powder would foul the action and eventually cause rust.
Dixie Gun Works or Buffalo Arms sell wads appropriate for black powder. Modern, one-piece plastic wads take up too much powder space in the case; you have to use cardboard and fiber wads.
Or so I experienced long ago when I made my own black powder shotgun shells in modern, plastic cases.
Perhaps the newly made brass shotgun shells can accommodate both black powder and plastic, one-piece wads. I'm unsure.
For best results, the volume of the shot charge equals the volume of black powder used.
That is, if you use a measure that throws 1-1/8 ounces of shot, use the same measure to scoop out the black powder charge.
Not sure how this would translate with buckshot. I guess the closest means would be to weigh how many buckshot you plan to load, then take that weight and equate it to the weight of a shotload.
With that shotload (Okay ... you in the back ... stop giggling ... I said shotload ) weight, you could use a small tube to determine how much volume that shot occupies.
I'd suggest using No. 9 shot, to avoid air spaces. But 7-1/2 would work to get a good idea of the volume occupied.
Frankly, a search of the internet would probably net you all the information you wanted, but if you can't find anything this would get you started.
Seems to me, you could use the same powder/shot charges listed for muzzleloading shotguns, in those brass shells. Plastic shells don't have nearly as much volume as the brass shells.
Remember that black powder creates a LOT of fouling, so you'll want to soak some of your wads in lubricant. Melt a little Crisco, Bore Butter, lard or Gatofeo No. 1 Lubricant (my personal favorite ) and soak some 1/2" thick felt wads in it.
Load the shell in the following order:

A. Primer
B. Black powder charge
C. Hard cardboard over-powder wad, unlubricated
D. Lubricated felt wad
E. Buckshot or bird shot.
F. Overshot wad, unlubricated

The over powder wad can be up to 1/4 inch thick, to protect the lubricant of the wad above from it reaching the powder and affecting it.
However, the wad over the shot must be fairly thin, so it doesn't affect the buckshot or shot in flight.

I'm unsure how the newer brass shotshells are crimped, or keep the top wad in place. In the old days they used a substance called Water Glass. I'm told that running a bead of Elmer's Glue around the edges of the top wad will bond it to the case and keep the wad from moving under recoil.
Perhaps Starline has reloading instructions; if, indeed, they make the brass shotshells. I think they do.

Hope this helps.
Old March 23, 2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Bubbaubba

Black Powder Buck Shot

Thank you for this very helpful information but in my state were not allowed to use hand loaded shells for deer hunting. That's why i was tring to find a manufacture that makes black powder shot shell buck shot. I found a company "GOEX" that makes 12 gauge 2 3/4" Black Powder 7 1/2 Shot Shells for bird hunting so i bought 5 boxes of 25 shells per box. But i ca'nt find Buck Shot. I wonder why that they only make one type of Black Powder Shot shell 7 1/2 instead of different kinds?
Old March 24, 2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
I purchased a double barrel 12Ga. Black Powder Shotgun
Do you want to explain that? Do you mean bp only as in an older gun or just a new gun you intend to shoot bp in? If it's an old gun it's not chambered for 2 3/4 shells.
Old March 24, 2009, 04:58 AM   #5
darkgael

BP shotshells

Bubba: Contact Republic Metallic Cartridge Co. They make fine BP shotshells. Very nice.
http://www.republicmetallic.com/
The issue that you are going to run into is the Buckshot. Republic has an extensive line but no buckshot loads that I know of. You may have to approach them for a custom loading.
"unsure about how modern brass shotshells are crimped"
In general, they aren't. Yes, in the old days waterglass was used (liquid sodium silicate). It still works but does not store well. Elmer's is used but I find that Duco cement works better than both. Also, most modern brass hulls are "drawn" brass and are sligfhtly larger inside than 12 ga. They require 11 gauge components for the most efficient loading. An exception to this is the lathe turned brass hull produced by Rocky Mt. Cartridge Co. Beautiful things. Last almost forever. Can be used with smokeless or BP. Modern components. Expensive.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; March 24, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old March 24, 2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Gbro

I second what Hawg posted.
Also it would be beneficial to have more information about the shotgun you are planing to use.
Quote:
I purchased a double barrel 12Ga. Black Powder Shotgun
A picture(s) would be great. We all like to see pictures of others guns
What other markings are on the gun, example; is there any length indicated.
are the barrel's Damascus?
And welcome to this exciting forum!
Old March 24, 2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Bubbaubba

In my first post i stated that i "Purchased a 12guage Double Barrel 2 3/4" Black Powder Shotgun". And that i wanted to purchase "Factory Made Buckshot Black Powder Shotgun Shells" so i can try to kill a deer with it this gun this year for a challange, instead of a "High Power Rifle". In my state you can"t "Deer Hunt" with "Hand Loaded Buckshot" "Shotgun Shells". So if anyone knows where i can purchase some "Factory Made 12 gauge 2 3/4" Black Powder Buckshot Shotgun Shells" i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Old March 24, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
I purchased a double barrel 12Ga. Black Powder Shotgun i wanted to go deer hunting with it this year but i can't find the shells.
That's what you said and that you wanted 2 3/4 shells. I know of no modern shotgun other than muzzleloaders that use bp only is why I was asking and no I don't know where you can buy loaded bp buckshot shells..
Old March 24, 2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Bubbaubba

Gbro:
Thanks it is a "New Modern Hammerless Navy Arms 12guage 2 3/4" Double Barrel Black Powder Shotgun w/28" Barrels Mod/Full Choke the Receiver is Nickel Plated the Barrel is Blue both are Heavily Engraved a Very Beautiful gun". I just bought it three days ago i always wanted one when i was a young man,now i'm a old man and i bought one. Like the saying goes we just get bigger toys.
Old March 24, 2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Bubbaubba

darkgael:
Thanks for that web site they have a large assortment of 12 gauge 2 3/4" Black Powder Shotgun Shells in which i will be buying the only shell they did'nt have was buckshot. I do appreciate all the help that everyone gives at this forum and good to talk to people that understands friearms.

Semper Fi
Thanks
Old March 24, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11
Gaucho Gringo

I don't think Starline makes 12 gauge brass. The only ones that I have found are Magtech 2 1\2" at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...ber=1657554245
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old March 24, 2009, 11:37 PM   #12
Gbro

Bubbaubba,
Is this page showing your shotgun?
http://books.google.com/books?id=QK3...sult#PPA790,M1

I do not find anything like what you posted in any of my books. (not that I have a wall to wall library)
I think some pictures will help us all understand what your shotgun is.
What state are you talking about? That is an interesting comment you made about being prevented from custom loadings.

Greg
Old March 24, 2009, 11:48 PM   #13
Bubbaubba

Gaucho Gringo:
You were right on the money. I went to "The Sportsman's Guide" web site and they sell the "MAGTECH BP 2 1/2" BRASS SHOTSHELLS"this is what they said in their ad. "MAGTECH Premium Brass Shotshells" for all you do-it-yourself shooters outhere. 2 1/2" solid brass hull shells are ideal for use with black powder and cork or fiberwads,uses large pistol primer."Intended" "for use in 2 3/4" chambers". Now we know what the 2 1/2" brass shell hulls were made for.

Simper Fi
Thanks
Old March 25, 2009, 12:04 AM   #14
Bubbaubba

Gbro:
(Florida), We can use hand loaded shotgun shells for bird hunting but not deer hunting. We can load our own rifle rounds for deer hunting just not shotgun. I'm still waiting for my Shotgun to arrive like i said i just bought it three days ago and i mailed the guy the check for the gun. I'll have to wait for the check to clear and then for him to send it to my gun dealer. When i get it i will post pictures so all can see it.

Semper Fi
Thanks
Old March 28, 2009, 10:11 PM   #15
Bubbaubba

darkgael:
You were right on the money. I went to www.republicmetallic.com and sent them a e-mail and asked them if they had Black Powder Buckshot they replied that they would make me 2 3/4" Black Powder 00 Buckshot, 25 Per Box, for $42.95 Pr Box. If anyone else needs this information here it is. Thank you darkgael for directing to that web site.

Semper Fi
Old March 29, 2009, 03:41 AM   #16
darkgael

BP shotshells

Bubba: You are welcome. Pricey little suckers, aren't they? The shells that I have gotten from Republic are beautifully made, new paper hulls, roll-crimped.
Pete
Old March 29, 2009, 10:17 AM   #17
Bubbaubba

BP Shotshells

darkgael:
Yes they are pricey. But not when you figure that you can't get them anywhere else and they are special made. The paper shells are what i had when i was a young hunter and we used to dip them in wax to water proof them and to keep them from swelling up, they kept new for a long time that way. I figure four boxes will last me a long time. The only thing i will use them for will be deer hunting. Thanks

Semper Fi
George
Old March 29, 2009, 11:09 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bubba,
Please enlighten a fellow floridian on the reg stating we cannot deer hunt with re-loaded shotshells....
I am quite curious as to this. I have tried researching myfwc.com and many pages are down...
Brent
Old March 29, 2009, 12:08 PM   #19
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Hunting methods: All legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading guns, crossbows, bows and handguns may be used.
Prohibitions:
Using centerfire, semi-automatic rifles having magazine capacities of more than five rounds
Fully automatic or silencer-equipped firearms
Nonexpanding, full metal case (military ball) ammunition for taking deer
Firearms using rimfire cartridges for taking deer
This is all I can find in the regs... nothing limiting reloads I can find...
Brent
Old March 30, 2009, 01:35 AM   #20
Bubbaubba

hogdogs:
Thank for the information you are right. I stand to be corrected on the shotgun loads that can be used for deer hunting in our state. According to what i read you can shoot a deer with anything you want including a "Big 50 Cal." there are no laws restraining a person from loading glass,stones,nails,sand or anything esle for deer hunting. What a state. But i still think i will buy the 00Buckshot

Sempr Fi
Old March 30, 2009, 07:27 AM   #21
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

It would be cool to load your own as many of our forefathers did as well...
But I ain't reloaded a day in my life and doubt I will start any time soon....
Brent
Old March 30, 2009, 08:28 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Lemme add...

I just spoke to a Mr. Eddie White with FWC and he did assure me that there is no regulation for rifle or shotgun reloads/handloads whatsoever so if you care to give the handloads a try it is fair game.
Brent
Old March 30, 2009, 09:16 AM   #23
Hawg

I don't reload shot shells from scratch but I do take smokeless loads and empty them out, cut the hulls off under the crimp and reload with bp minus the shot cup and power piston and then roll crimp. If you have a modern gun with long chambers you could just open it up and replace the shot and fold the crimp back down and glue it in place to keep it from opening back up.
Old March 30, 2009, 12:23 PM   #24
Bubbaubba

hogdogs:
I agree i think it would be cheaper to buy them already made than to buy a reloader,shot, powder,primers,wads,shell hulls and time involved to make them. It's not like i'll be using the black powder shotgun it all the time that i hunt. It's just an adventure back to the past.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Bubbaubba; March 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old March 30, 2009, 12:26 PM   #25
Bubbaubba

Hawg Haggen:
That is a good idea on quickly making reloads. Thanks for the information.

Semper Fi
Closed Thread