The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 13, 2007, 12:14 AM   #1
jamaica

Loading for 45 auto - first time

A year ago I got an XD 45 auto. I have been saving brass and decided it was time to try reloading for it. I picked a load from the Hornady manual and loaded 20 and went out and shot them to see if they worked OK. They seemed fine so I loaded up 100, and today went to the range and fired them all. I have reloaded for years, but never for an auto. Much to my pleasure they worked flawlessly in the XD. No problems. I am a grinnin' and can't wait to get some more loaded up.
Old May 13, 2007, 01:25 AM   #2
katana8869

Hey Jamaica,

Congratulations on your first loads. I got into reloading about 6 mos ago and I have loved every minute of it.

I was fortunate enough to at least have a basic idea of what reloading was about before I started. My Dad started reloading about 10 years ago and was a great reloader.

I would watch him sometimes and talk about different aspects of various loads, but I just never stepped into doing it myself.

I lost my Dad in October to a sudden heart attack that got him while he was sleeping. Before I got off of the fence about starting to reload, my Mom hired some people to clean out my Dad's shop and all of his presses were dismounted, disassembled and thrown pell-mell into various boxes.

With no guidence or instuctions at all, I salvaged the parts and figured out what I needed to put together a Lee 3 stage press set up for loading .45. Dad had a disk powder measure that I soon just did away with in favor of a Lee Perfect Powder measure for charging my cases. It allows me a lot more control and it is very easy to use. I can't tell you how proud of myself I felt when I took my first batch of my very own reloads to the range and had them all work flawlessly.

My reloads shoot great and are accurate in all of my .45's. I don't load heavy, just target loads for the range. I will be expanding out into 9mm, .38 and .357 as I get the time. Best of all I have alot of great communion with my Dad's spirit at that bench. I feel him smiling a little crooked smile and nodding in approval as I make each little success and overcome each little hurdle.

Norman Eugene Blocker
1945 - 2006

Life Member NRA
Member National Bench Rest Shooters Association
Old May 13, 2007, 01:46 AM   #3
Mr Beta

It's truly a pleasure to shoot your own ammo. I just loaded up about 300 rounds of .45 last night and shot them today.

Congrats on your new loads and have fun shooting.