The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
sigcurious

Older Article: Canadian Man Arrested For Child's Drawing

Linky

The article hints that this guy may have had the equivalent of a felony prohibition on possessing a firearm here in the US. Although the whole chain of events seems rather odd and to be an overreaction on many levels.

I hope some of the Canadian members can chime in on some of basics of Canadian firearms law that would pertain to this situation, such as what are the qualifications for becoming a prohibited person in Canada and is the system really set up as such that they can assume possession of something based on a drawing. Or was this a case of far overstepping the bounds of the law by the police and family services?
Old September 6, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
ltc444

Traveling to Canada can be a tricky business. A misdemeanor here may be classified as a Felony there. That interpretation may, if you are carrying a rifle for a hunt, place you in a precarious legal situation.

More than a few professional drivers with a misdemeanor conviction for careless and reckless driving, a misdemeanor in MO have been arrested for driving illegally in Canada. CDL drivers in Canada can not have a felony conviction.

If you are planning to visit our neighbors to the north on a hunt, you need to consult an attorney who is knowledgeable on Canadian vs US laws and the classification of a conviction.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
sigcurious

I have no plans to go to Canada with or without firearms. I am not sure how you made the leap about laws pertaining to the incident in the article to travel.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:43 PM   #4
ltc444

You miss the basic point of my post. Misdemeanors in the US are often considered Felony's in Canada. Anyone who travels across the border needs to be aware of those laws. This is especially true if you are carrying a weapon.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Edward429451

I used to own a StreetSweeper shotgun and once at the range I was shooting it and failed to notice that one of my kids behind me had taken off his ear muffs. I shot a round and my sons says what was that? My ears are ringing now...So I says to him half jokingly, son that's the sound of freedom, remember the song that says...let free-dom ring...and told him to put his muffs back on.

So the next week, I get called into school to discuss an inappropriate picture that my son had drawn. Uh-oh. I went in and we had a pow-wow about it. It turned out that he had drawn a picture of a StreetSweeper shotgun and gave it a title in big letters that said...(wait for it)..."Let Freedom Ring"

Nothing came of it, they just wanted to lecture me a little, and have the boy to not draw guns anymore. I thought it was cute and hilarious that the school people could get so worked up over a picture. To see that in Canada one can get prosecuted for something similar is not funny.

The level of control that they are going for is absolutely staggering. Still, the power of the spoken word is great and a picture is worth a thousand words. I can understand the power of symbolism and that it can plant seeds...and seeds grow.
Old September 7, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
sigcurious

ltc444, the point of your post was clear, I just don't see what it has to do with the situation, yes laws in different countries are different than our own. The man in the article is a Canadian in Canada...no international travel involved.

Edward, fortunately(relatively speaking) he was only arrested. It's good to hear though that a similar situation turned out ok for you and your son.