The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 10:37 PM   #1
bossman

Magnum large pistol primers

I just got in to my large pistol primers for the 45 acp. I noticed I had 200 large magnum pistol primers. I don't how they got mixed in as I only buy large pistol. I'm sure I mixed them up when I bought the large pistol. Any way can I use them for 45 acp or 45 colt.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:34 PM   #2
reloader28

You should be able to use them with no problems, just back off your load a tad as they are built hotter for mag loads.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
700cdl

I've accidentally loaded magnums on one occasion for my .40 and it didn't produce any visable difference. I was ready to pul all of the bullets when I decided to first see if it was going to make any big difference. Glad I didn't have to waste all those primers, or pick up pieces of my XDM all over he ground. Shoot one and check for pressure issues. Each load, cartridge, and gun is different, and what may work OK in one, may not work well in an other.
Old January 21, 2011, 12:19 AM   #4
Fullthrottle

I agree with the other posts above!
As long as you aren't close to max loads you can use them like the others! If you are loading close to or at max loads DO NOT use magnum primers.
Magnum primers are NOT the recomended primer for .40S&W, but I have used them when no others are available(though that was with plinking loads)!
Old January 21, 2011, 12:21 AM   #5
rclark

I don't shoot .45ACP, but do .45 Colt. I've used them interchangeably and saw no difference. Keep in mind my .45 Colt loads are not 'max' loads though. If I was shooting 'on the edge' (can anyone say Linebaugh loads?) then I would be concerned and work the loads back up. Just my 2 cents.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Jim243

Not sure what primmers you are using? I have always used Winchester "Large Pistol for Standard or Magnum pistol loads". Never been an issue with my 45 ACPs. As long as you are not using a mag load in your 45 ACPs there should be no problem. Just work up your loads from starting grains and watch for pressure signs.

Jim