The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 13, 2014, 03:39 PM   #1
kh1911

remington model 11 problems

I finally go the chance to shoot the 1937 model 11 that i just recently got. i shot 3 rounds through the gun and the bolt now will not open, when i pull it back the lower part moves slightly but it will not open. Anybody else have this problem, or know why it happened? or how to fix it?
Old January 13, 2014, 04:54 PM   #2
Old Stony

It sounds like the brass part of the shell is sticking in the chamber. If you are shooting reloads, they can be notorious about this type of problem due to not getting the brass properly sized at the base. Try standing the rifle on the butt, and shoving the barrel down forcefully. The barrel and bolt should both move back and possibly the brass will come loose and eject as the barrel moves forward. Make darned sure you don't have a live round in the chamber though!
Old January 13, 2014, 06:27 PM   #3
wncchester

Try standing the rifle on the butt, and shoving the barrel down forcefully.
Old January 13, 2014, 06:43 PM   #4
wncchester

"Try standing the rifle on the butt, and shoving the barrel down forcefully."

That might work but, even if I KNEW it was on an empty shell it would make my skin crawl; I would put a book or magazine on a board outside to protect the muzzle and use body weight to push the butt stock down enough to free the bolt and lock it back. That long magazine spring and brass friction ring can be pretty resistant to compression, I'd remove the forend and make sure the flat end of the friction ring faced the barrel band before starting.

Do NOT let a locked back bolt slam home without the barrel and recoil spring system being securely in place!
Old January 14, 2014, 03:41 PM   #5
kh1911

i got the shell to eject and the bolt to lock back by pushing down the barrel, but im still concered on what might have caused it, because like any normal person i like my firearms reliable
Old January 14, 2014, 05:29 PM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
i got the shell to eject and the bolt to lock back by pushing down the barrel, but im still concered on what might have caused it, because like any normal person i like my firearms reliable
Of course you want your shotgun to be reliable. In my experience an oversize shell head will stick in the chamber occasionally. Or, if you haven't thoroughly cleaned the chamber, then several decades of crud might be the problem. Lots of time these old shotguns will be put in a closet and forgotten for years at a time, then when they're found, taken out, and shot, the accumulated closet dust from a dozen years will clog up the chamber and cause problems.

Give it a good, detail cleaning, especially around the bolt, in the chamber, and in the recoil spring around the magazine tube. Then lube and you should be on firm ground.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 15, 2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Old Stony

Some of the import shotgun ammo seems to have varying degrees of consistency in sizing the bases. Reloads can be a little tricky in this respect as well with the Remington/Browning designs like those. If reloading you might have to go to a base sizer tool to relieve the problem.
I have found ammo such as Rio can be a problem but mostly I have found this to be true in the .410's.
Old January 15, 2014, 03:25 PM   #8
kh1911

i was shooting either estates or winchester rounds. They were mixed together so i cant be sure