The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 3, 2001, 10:46 AM   #1
Coronach

Zanotti Gunsafes

Does anyone know a good source for Zanotti gunsafes? I tried to check out their website and some of its pages were down.

Also, if someone knows of a better type of gunsafe that is able to be disassembled for transport (and possibly more economical) feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 3, 2001, 11:46 AM   #2
bastiat

There's also the gunn guard: http://www.thegraystonegroup.com/GunnGard.htm

How many guns were you looking to store?
Old October 3, 2001, 02:24 PM   #3
citizen

Zanotti...

Zanotti Armor, Inc.
123 W Lone Tree Rd.
Cedar Falls, IA 50613
(319)232-9650

Only Distributor I know ofD& D Enterprises
(978)486-0216
www.zanottiarmorsafes.com

Info is about 1 yr old. Called the plant; owner happened to pick up phone. At that time, his order backlog had already grown to six mos.

Good luck, I'd be interested in results.
Life is too short for dial-up
Old October 4, 2001, 06:46 AM   #4
Tman

Zanotti and GunnGard are the only two gun safes that can be disassembled that I know of. Both are about $1000-1200. I haven't been able to personally look at a GunnGard (cool looking lock) but it was featured on an episode of American Shooter last year in the Gun Tech section. The zanotti has a regular dial-type combination lock. You do pay a premium for the disassembly technology. If your in the Austin, TX area they have a store where you can check out a Zanotti.
Old October 4, 2001, 09:49 AM   #5
Coronach

yeah, here is the problem.

I am starting to get a decent collection of long arms (right now, say about 8-10).

I live in a crappy neighborhood.

I am going to be moving within the next few years.

I will probably build a safe room in the new house, making the gunsafe (somewhat) less useful.

I am not exactly what you could call 'rich.'

All of this adds up to a need to secure long-arms currently, but I don't relish the idea of moving a 500 lb gunsafe *twice* and in the VERY long run, I *may* not even need it at all. I like the idea of Zanotti and GunGard since they can be moved somewhat easily.

FWIW, the burglars in my area aren't the most sophisticated sorts...I feel confident that any safe could defeat them so long as 1. it couldn't be pried open with a crowbar/screwdriver and 2. it was too damned big to just cart off.

Any other ideas? The original plan was to hold off on long-arm purchases until I was in a position to better secure them. Oh well.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 4, 2001, 11:03 AM   #6
bastiat

I'm in a similar situation

I'm renting a house right now, so I didn't want a huge safe that I'll have to move.

I found the sentry gun safes at menards- and now home depot carries them as well. http://www.sentrysafe.com/guns.cfm?

I have the 14 gun model - but that is a generous estimate. It weighs about 250 lbs, can be bolted to the floor and/or wall, and thick enough metal to deter most crooks. It's easy enough to move with 2 people and a dolly, but it's good, safe storage.

The best part is home depot is selling them for $375. I figure that when this one fills up (I hope it does) I can just get another one and put it in another part of the house.
Old October 5, 2001, 09:08 AM   #7
Coronach

$375?

Thats not bad. I'll have to mosey over to HD and take a look. This is the level of protection I am looking for at the moment. I know it will not deter a skilled or devoted burglar, but those are pretty few and far between. Anything I do right now to make my guns utterly unobtainable is going to be some combination of the following:

1. Too expensive.
2. Too much work.
3. Too damned heavy.

Does anyone know of a weak point in these gunsafes, that could be defeated by your run-of-the-mill burglar?

Mike

Old October 5, 2001, 09:49 AM   #8
ATTICUS

Mike: New Albany Shooting range carries Zanottis. I think I saw one in there last week with a 20% off sign on it (which should put it only slightly above 20% over MSRP HaHa).
Old October 5, 2001, 07:40 PM   #9
Tman

I've seen some gun "vaults" that were advertised in some of the gun magazines that go under the bed. Was thinking about one of those but decided upon the Wal-Mart $266 sentry gun vault.