The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you keep a car gun?
No, why would I? 31 32.29%
Yes, my CCW stays in the car. 14 14.58%
Yes, an extra pistol. 36 37.50%
Yes, a rifle/carbine. 12 12.50%
Yes, a shotgun. 11 11.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 12, 2009, 01:17 PM   #51
mark_justmark

+1

Quote:
#18indycolts
if I'm carrying then my carry gun goes with me at all times.
Old March 12, 2009, 01:51 PM   #52
Stevie-Ray

Generally unecessary for me as I'm the only one that drives, and I always have at least one on me at all times.
Old March 12, 2009, 02:26 PM   #53
skydiver3346

I agree with Playboy about a gun in his vehicle:

There are a number of places that I am not allowed to conceal carry (due to regs on my conceal carry permit = (schools, bar, sporting events, court, etc etc). So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon?? You leave it in your vehicle so you can go into certain areas and not be breaking the law. His idea about a safe for his carry gun is a great idea and wish I knew where I could get one myself. As it is, I lock it in my glove compartment for the time being when I am not carrying, but I realize that is probably the first place a bad guy will look when he breaks in my car/truck. Maybe I should place it in the trunk until I can get a safe for my vehicle?
Old March 12, 2009, 02:35 PM   #54
ftd

I don't have a carry permit, yet, and I only have one gun, for HD. so except when I am tripping back and forth to the range I don't have a gun in my car. I don't plan on carrying a gun on my person even after I get the permit (I don't go out all that much), but when I am legal and after I can afford another gun I would like to have one in my car, in case I feel a need for it as I enter my house.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:11 PM   #55
Bricker

gun in my truck

I also ccw, so when I get in my truck, my gun is there also. When circumstances dictate, (Post Office, PG's, etc.), my gun resides in a gun safe in my truck. Otherwise it is ready to be rapidly deployed.
Old March 12, 2009, 03:57 PM   #56
Nnobby45

Quote:
So now we are supposed to carry all our guns with us everywhere we go? Paranoia sure does run rampant in the gun community.
It didn't run rampant with Reginald Denny. Or with folks in Las Vegas (a little closer to home for me) who suddenly found themselves being dragged out of their cars and beaten---never new what hit them.

My "car gun" is an M1 Carbine or an 870. No, I don't always carry one with me when driving around near home--but maybe I'd be smarter if I was a little more paranoid. Travelling is a different matter.

The pistol I carry is for SD no matter where I'm at. I don't classify it as a car gun.
Old March 12, 2009, 06:06 PM   #57
2cooltoolz

Nope

Nope..I keep a pocket gun. I've had quite a few auto break ins over my 50 something. I don't want to walk up on a guy holding my gun.
Old March 12, 2009, 08:22 PM   #58
#18indycolts

Quote:
schools, bar, sporting events, court, etc etc). So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon??
If I know I'm going to these places then I won't carry at all.
Old March 13, 2009, 03:56 PM   #59
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
So, if you carry all the time, you can't go in these places. What do you do with your weapon?? You leave it in your vehicle so you can go into certain areas and not be breaking the law.
I keep a lock box in my vehicle in case a problem arises with carrying in a specific location. The gun is not kept in there, it is only put in there for those uncommon and specific situations. It comes right back out and is on my person at my earliest legal convenience. It never spends more than an hour or so in the vehicle, unless it's on me. I don't particularly like to leave a weapon in a vehicle for ANY length of time.

Something similar to this is available at most gun shops I frequent. Usually around $30
Old March 13, 2009, 04:11 PM   #60
Rich Miranda

I would keep a car gun but my job has a no weapons on property policy (and a LARGE sign on the fence that says NO WEAPONS, we may search you, etc.).

I may eventually just carry one anyway, but so far the sign has been a good deterrent.
Old March 13, 2009, 05:50 PM   #61
4INCHSMITH

I don't CC yet, but its on the list for this summer. At that time probably throw one of my full size pistols in the truck, in a spot I can reach it quickly.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:35 AM   #62
Dingoboyx

Hey TexasRich

Hasnt someone shot up the sign yet?