The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 22, 1999, 10:54 AM   #1
vincent

I have thin hands and sometimes fail to activate the grip safety when firing strong hand only. I currently have a stock Kimber 1911 with the Chip McCormick "DeActivator" grip safety. What is the thickest grip safety available? Suggestions? Comments?
Old March 22, 1999, 11:26 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

You may want to check out the Ed Brown memory Groove. I believe that Pachmyr and Wilson also make comparable models. Get a copy of the Brownells catalog and you'll never have to worry about excess funds again www.brownells.com
Old March 22, 1999, 01:38 PM   #3
Rosco Benson

That Kimber grip safety sticks quite a way out of the frame. It would seem to protrude just as much as any of the "speed bumps" of other maker's safeties.

Some shooters get such a high grip on the pistol that the web of their hand is pushing up against the tang of the safety, thus pivoting it OUT of the frame. This usually involves shooters with thick, "meaty" hands. Since you describe your hands a "thin", I wouldn't think that this would cause you a problem, but check for it. If this is what's happening, then no amount of "speed bump" protrusion is going to help.

The internal "leg" of the safety (which blocks the trigger) can be carefully fitted so as to allow the trigger bow to move past it with only the slightest pressure on the grip safety. Of course the grip safety may be pinned shut or the internal "leg" ground off, thus disabling it, however you'll quickly get your fill of barracks lawyers telling you that, by so doing, you've consigned yourself to doom and ruin.

Rosco
Old March 22, 1999, 09:49 PM   #4
bk40

My personal preference is the Ed Brown "memory groove" beavertail. If I'm not mistaken, Ed was the first to develop the bump on the b/t safety. Now everbody is selling their versions.
I've never failed to engage the safety with the bump on it. Before I had it installed, occasionally I would fail to depress grip safety due to my "high grip" method of shooting.

------------------

- bk40
Old March 22, 1999, 11:59 PM   #5
Grayfox

Also consider the shape of the main spring housing as this also affects hand position. Some people do better with a flat housing while others prefer arched.
Old March 23, 1999, 08:02 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You might also consider the "Speed Bump" by Caspian. This has the raised area running vertically the full length of the safety. Even if your grip is a little high to engage a standard or Memory Groove I don't see how it could miss this one. George