The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 6, 2001, 11:47 PM   #1
Roadking

Help w/ Aimpoint

I'm looking for an aimpoint that's suitable for CQB to 50yds. What are the differences in M.O.A. and what exactly is Minute of Angle?

I will be mounting it on a Robinson M96.

Thanks!
Old October 7, 2001, 04:46 AM   #2
JNewell

Minute of angle means roughly 1" at 100 yards. (There's room to argue about small differences here, but for most purposes 1" per 100 yards will do just fine.)

I assume that you're asking about the apparent size of the dot. A 7MOA dot will cover about 7" at 100 yards; a 3 MOA dot will cover about 3".

This is an opinion thing, and here's mine, which is based on very extensive use. It looks like the Comp M2/ML2 only come in a 4MOA size now. This should be fine for anything you are likely to want to do with it. Many people who buy larger "dots" find that they have trouble shooting past 50 yards or so because the dot covers so much of the target.

The apparent size of the dot varies a little, by the way, because the dot "blooms" a little at full power and shrinks when you turn down the power.
Old October 7, 2001, 11:29 PM   #3
RenegadeX

Quote:
what exactly is Minute of Angle?
A MOA is 1/60 of a degree.

Think of a circle with radius 100 yards. So, 0 degrees is still exactly 100 yards, and is the adjacent side. But 1 MOA is the length of the opposite side if you formed a right triangle with an angle of 1/60 of a degree and the adjacent side.

As said above, 1 inch is close enough approximation.
Old October 8, 2001, 11:45 AM   #4
TaxPhd

If you are only interested in 50 yds. max, asight with a larger dot would probably work real well. Tasco makes a decent selection.

But it soulnd like you are limiting the capability of that Robinson 96. Only 50 yds.?

I have an Aimpoint Comp ML XD with a 3 MOA dot for my AR. A most excellent sight from "in your face" out to 300 yds. Check it out!

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old October 8, 2001, 03:51 PM   #5
Roadking

I'm leaning towards an Aimpoint. I'm not intentionally limiting my self on range however my main goal is for CQB to around 50 yds. If I can get a sight that works for CQB and has long range capabilities that'll work too.

Thanks for all of the replies thus far.