The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2012, 11:24 AM   #1
reo71

now to reloading

I have a Shiloh 45-110. I'm looking to start reloading my own roundsand want go with a Lee single stage any recommendations
Old December 23, 2012, 11:35 AM   #2
bushwackeralligator

RCBS

Personally if you are going with a single stage press an RCBS rockchucker is the best. You can probably get one on ebay used. I have reloaded thousands of rounds on mine and it is still going strong after 8 years. Keep the Ram greased. As far as dies, get the Lee Deluxe Set. You don't need to use lube on the brass when resizing the brass. Plus there are 3 dies, one will give you a factory crimp on the bullet. They are a little costly brand new, but worth it, about $40. Hope this helps.
Old December 23, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3
CrustyFN

Quote:
Personally if you are going with a single stage press an RCBS rockchucker is the best.
I guess best is in the eye of the user. I would personally buy a Forster, Redding or Lee classic single stage before I bought a rock chucker.
Old December 23, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
PA-Joe

Will you be reloading with Black Powder? If yes you need a black powder kit.
Old December 23, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5
reo71

Yes wanting to stay black powder
Old December 23, 2012, 12:20 PM   #6
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwackeralligator View Post
Personally if you are going with a single stage press an RCBS rockchucker is the best.
Guess that depends on who you ask. I personally love my Hornady single stage. It has quick change dies. Also, since I know it'll be brought up, Hornadys customer service is as top notch as RCBS and any other reloading company.
Old December 23, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7
reo71

Will the hornady single stage handle the 45-110?
I guess that's the big thing, can it handly 4 1/4"
Old December 23, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Sevens

The Lee Classic Cast has as much or more vertical clearance as anything on the market that I'm aware of, outside of a .50 BMG specific press. (which the Lee Classic Cast can handle, by the way)

For measuring black powder or equivalent, Lyman makes a great measuring tool based on the Lyman 55, but do ensure that you get the blackpowder specific tool.

Who makes "the best" single stage press in all of the land?! It's probably the Forster Co-Ax. And the price reflects it. I got a wild hair and came close to buying one, but in the end the ammo that I make NOW made my decision for me. I make phenomenal ammo with my Classic Cast and the Co-Ax would have simply been a toy or an exercise and I never went that route.
Old December 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice.

Welcome to reloading, too.

While bushwackeralligator may be right about not needing to use lube on the case (if your sizing die is Tungsten-Carbide or Titanium Nitride instead of regular tool steel), a tiny bit of lubrication does ease things quit a bit. Especially with such a large case, you will appreciate it. But just a tiny bit.

Lost Sheep
Old December 23, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Sevens

It doesn't matter WHAT the die is made of if we are talking about a bottle neck rifle round such as the .30-06. Run brass up there with NO LUBE and your day gets ugly.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:10 PM   #11
jeffreyulatan

I started reloading with the Lee Breechlock anniversary kit. Once I got more experienced I upgraded to the Turret press, than Lee Pro 1000 progressive, and now I'm on a Dillon 1050

I don't know how many Decapping/sizing dies I've messed up due to stuck cases. Make sure you always lube your rifle brass before sizing! Luckily Lee will replace the expander rod/decapper free of charge. I've already broke about 8 of these in my lifetime due to stuck cases.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:08 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens
It doesn't matter WHAT the die is made of if we are talking about a bottle neck rifle round such as the .30-06. Run brass up there with NO LUBE and your day gets ugly.
The 45-110 cartridge is not bottlenecked. It is a straight taper shape. As such, though, it does not, I believe, have carbide dies available for it. So, use of lubrication is definitely helpful.

If Titanium Nitride dies are available, I would follow the recommendations of the die maker.

However, I think a little lube in any circumstances would help.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 24, 2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: to fix typo 42-100 vs 45-110
Old December 24, 2012, 11:19 AM   #13
aumuddy

Single stage press.

I have a "Rockchuker" for my rifle single stage loading and love it.
Purchased it used, had to find a plastic cup the catch the primers, but after that its great.
Old December 24, 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
mwells72774

If you're new, get a lee anniversary kit. comes with everything you'll need. they even have the quick change kit for dies now, press a small black botton on top, make 1/4 turn and pull the dies out and throw the next ones in
Old December 24, 2012, 03:07 PM   #15
hounddawg

Quote:
I don't know how many Decapping/sizing dies I've messed up due to stuck cases. Make sure you always lube your rifle brass before sizing! Luckily Lee will replace the expander rod/decapper free of charge. I've already broke about 8 of these in my lifetime due to stuck cases.
get some imperial sizing wax, use this guys method to lube the cases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKY32kx7alQ

your hands will get a good waxing also but a paper towel takes care of that. Before imperial sizing wax I would stick a case every couple of months, since I can honestly say I have sized at least 3K - 4K .223's with never a stuck case and still have most of the tin left. Just be sure to tumble or wash the cases both before and after sizing. A lot more economical and reliable than the spray stuff in my opnion
Old December 24, 2012, 03:52 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

The round is tapered. Even if carbide dies are used lubricating the cases is still required to ease stress on the case. Like .30 Carbine, and .45-70 Govt. I load both. Case lube is needed on both. Cases will not stick, though you stand a chance of ripping your press off of the bench. Lee case lube works well for both due to the fact that it goes on easy, and I clean them off with an alcohol wipe, and then wipe off with a dry rag. Saves me from having to tumble the brass to remove the case lube.

For a press the Lee Classic Cast will serve you well for many years to come. You will need it for the long round you are loading for. If you want a measure you need to get a black powder specific one as has been stated. Black powder will mess up a measure made for smokeless. I am not sure but there may be some safety concerns doing that as well.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:00 PM   #17
Sevens

Quote:
Lee case lube works well for both due to the fact that it goes on easy, and I clean them off with an alcohol wipe, and then wipe off with a dry rag. Saves me from having to tumble the brass to remove the case lube.
I used to think that tumbling recently sized rifle cases simply to get the lube off was a hassle also, until I simply did it.

Literally...15 minutes in the tumbler. For 10 or 15 cases, I too would wipe each piece down with a rag while handling. If doing any kind of volume above a small handful, it's 15 minutes in the tumbler and the case lube as *GONE*.

I started with the Lee case lube and it's not awful stuff, but I'm an Imperial guy now for darn sure. Wouldn't ever go back. I'd take a tube of the Lee stuff if I were stranded on an island and it was that or nothing, but since tin of Imperial and I'm likely set for the next couple decades.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:12 PM   #18
Kevin Rohrer

Don't Short Yourself

You have an expensive, quality rifle, so I am guessing you can afford a quality press. Just about anything but LEE will fill the bill.

Since you are loading l-o-n-g cases, a press with plenty of room is in-order:

*Forster/Bonanza Coax
*Any quality O- or H-press (RCBS, Hornady, Redding, CH (their O-press is a monster and should be considered), Lyman
*Older presses: Hollywood, Dunbar, Herters, others

Quote:
As such, though, it does not, I believe, have carbide dies available for it. So, use of lubrication is definitely helpful. If Titanium Nitride dies are available, I would follow the recommendations of the die maker.
CH/4D can make anything you want, including 45-110 TiN dies. Their quality is => anything else out there, and at <$.

http://www.ch4d.com

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; December 24, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Lost Sheep

I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
Just about anything but LEE will fill the bill.
Lee makes inexpensive gear. Some of Lee's presses I find inadequate. Other models are as good as you would need for any round you can name. One model of Lee's press is the best of its kind you buy at any price.

I can be specific if you want. But I ask you to be specific about what you see as Lee's shortcomings first. Opinion without evidence is not very useful.

You are absolutely right about the press opening needing to be long. Many people forget that, in addition to the length of the cartridge, they have to take into account the length of the bullet sitting atop the case mouth, and also leave enough room for their hand unless they intend to place the bullet with tweezers or place it before inserting the case in the shell holder.

Lost Sheep
Old January 4, 2013, 11:41 PM   #20
drturi

RCBS is definitely the best for the money, they also have the best warranty in the business.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:15 AM   #21
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drturi
RCBS is definitely the best for the money, they also have the best warranty in the business.
Welcome, but when you make a blanket statement without qualification (especially without definition of what the proposed use is) you are asking someone to invite you to explain yourself.

The best what?

There is no better 4-station auto-indexing turret than the Lee Classic Turret, at any price on the market today.

I dearly love my RCBS RockChucker. But it is not the best for my current loading needs.

Whether the Dillon 650 is worth twice the price of the RCBS 2000 ("best for the money") is open to judgement.

I hope you don't think me ungracious. I like to hear (well-supported) opinions. Especially when they disagree with my own. It is one of the best ways to lern new things.

Again, welcome to the forum. Don't be shy.

Lost Sheep
Old January 5, 2013, 12:30 AM   #22
Xfire68

I will say that RCBS has a great customer service deparment but, I have had nothing but great service from Lee and Hornady as well.

I personally think that anyone new to reloading that wants a great press that loads quality ammo at a reasonable pace should get a Lee Classic 4 hole Turret press. If you say that a Lee Classic Turret press sucks? I say you have never used one!

With the ability to make it a single stage press anytime you wish and still have the speed of the turret when needed is priceless.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Gster

I also have had great success with Lee equipment. They are top notch IMO. I shoot a lot but not so much that I feel the need to upgrade from my Breech Lock Challenger Kit. It does everything I need it to. Rifle and pistol. I have 1000s of rnds. on the shelf loaded with it and have never had to use customer service. Just follow the directions, read the manuals, and clean and lube once in awhile and it will serve you well. I also like keeping it simple and being able to control each and every step. Good luck with your decision and reloading but above all, be safe.
Old January 5, 2013, 12:54 PM   #24
Ifishsum

The Lee Classic Cast SS press is the most sturdily built press I've ever handled, and its very reasonably priced. There's lots of room for longer cartridges too.

For a few years now I've wanted to pick up a 45-110 Sharps - one of these days I'm gonna have one. Had the chance to shoot a 45-90 a couple of years ago and that really got me fired up. I plan to load BP primarily as well, done it with .45 colt and it's a hoot.